New to me: '76 Formula 233

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
NEM, me too, I'm not out of ideas, presuming you are not trying to save the tank:

Can get a heavy long handled floor tile scrapper (file the edge sharp), some use it for scrapping paint off ceilings, shorten handle, and use it like a putty knife under bottom from one end or one corner.

Then hit handle with 3/5 lb mallet. You may have to make an access hole or cut away the stringer at that point to start and swing from.
Once you get soime clearing even from one corner, lifting forces allow the lever effect of the cleared area to take place.

I can't believe someone used 5200, that stuff should be banned in my opinion. It had no purpose whatsover today and has many modern day replacements more suitable for any and all tasks.
If it's not foam, then someone may have just beaded it with caulk, once it breaks free at a corner or end, a crow bar with a turn at bottom and some blocks will get it going all the way.

richie rich

Reaction score
When I had to pull the tank in my V20, I had the same problem.....chunked out all the surrounding foam but the tank would not budge. Then I used the wood across the gunwale routine, except using a come-a-long. I initially used an S-hook through the grounding tab until the s-hook straightened out, snapped back, and hit me right in the head....thank God for safety glasses or I would be a Pirate today

...anyway, I reassessed what the F I was doing at that point and wrapped the chain/cable around the tanks filler neck at the right angle...made sure it could not slip......put tension on it until you saw some stress, and simultaneously used a pry bar of choice (non-sparking) to help persuade the tank in moving just a little from one end......then increased tension and repeated the pry bar method several times.....after about an hour of doing this and alot of swearing, it finally let go.....that foam is spread out over such a big surface, it's got plenty of holding power that you would never of guessed it could have......other then cutting it up (after rinsing it a 100 times), I could not come up with another/better method. But it worked.....

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the tank is empty you can fill it with water and hack away. Just be sure it's totally full and there aren't any vapors hiding anywhere.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nothing is stopping that tank from it' s final resting place now.

Fill it with water, I'm coming over with an ax and boots !

ahill

Reaction score
This is getting interesting! Bob P in boots swinging an axe?!
I'd set up bleachers and charge admission!
May offset some costs.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hopefully i won't have to invite Bob with his axe and boots, i will try all the tricks in the hat first, but i have to wait for that heat wave to go away because is 120* under the tarp.

richie rich

Reaction score
I'll pay the cost to cross the LI Sound for that scene.....maybe we can make some extra cash on admission and send the proceeds to the Gulf Relief Fund or something....

blackgrady

Reaction score
back to the hoist method, what if u drilled holes front and back and on both sides of the tank so you can run a chain or rope through it to try and lift it? i hung my motors with a bobcat lol, id say get the bucket over the tank, strap er up and bask in the glory of hydraulics!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
blackgrady said:
back to the hoist method, what if u drilled holes front and back and on both sides of the tank so you can run a chain or rope through it to try and lift it? i hung my motors with a bobcat lol, id say get the bucket over the tank, strap er up and bask in the glory of hydraulics!

That will be my next step, i don't have a bobcat but i will use the hoist and chain method and the gunnels with couple of 4X4 as pulling point.

billfish33

Reaction score
I got 1 out of a '77 Aquasport FF 22-2 early last year, we were in the same boat, wound up renting a pressure washer, and that popped it out pretty fast,we flooded out the coffin but by the time it all drained out, the tank was loose.

good luck !

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Once you get it filled with water, use a cordless small size circular saw, will cut right thru the aluminum, set it 3/16 inch deep. Go slow. Make sure you use a cordless one to avoid the electrocution - get a cheap one in case it gets wet. I have the Rhoybi that comes with the multi tool kit.

Cut the top clear off, drain out water, go in there and score the bottom just deep enough to cut thru. Cut lines in both directions, then get the pry bar in there in the cuts, it will come out, even though in pieces, it will come out.

Not as fast as the ax though!