New Yamaha 200 vs E-tech 200

tomolalla

Reaction score
I'm going to repower my 208 Adventurer and wanted to keep the weight about the same. I was just about ready to buy a 200 E-tech last winter when I heard that Yamaha was coming up with new, lighter 200. That stopped me in my tracks and now I'm considering both. I don't see much discussion regarding E-techs in this forum, is there a reason for that? What are readers opinions regarding these motors and which one would you buy? Thanks

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Both are likely good choices, but IMO where you boat (north or south) and what you use the boat for would help to determine which is best.

tomolalla

Reaction score
I live on the west coast, Washington State, and use the boat for fishing locally and intend to do some long range camping-style traveling into Canada and possibly to Alaska in the near future.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here in NJ we don't see too many E-Tech engines, especially on Grady Whites. For about the last ten years new Grady Whites were only fitted with Yamaha outboards, so this may also contribute to why you don't see many with anything but Yamaha.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here in NJ we don't see too many E-Tech engines, especially on Grady Whites. For about the last ten years new Grady Whites were only fitted with Yamaha outboards, so this may also contribute to why you don't see many with anything but Yamaha.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
I researched this topic extensively when I bought my boat. The links below have all the info you'll need to make an informed and factual decision. It's been well documented that 4Ss get significantly better fuel economy at cruise than the etec, have MUCH better resale, are installed almost exclusively by over two dozen salt water fishing boat manufacturers, and last alot longer than the etec. Additionally, according to the etec's owners manual if you use that engine in salt water Evinrude strongly reccomends you service it annually, just like a 4S. So much for their no maintenance for 3 yrs / 300 hours half truth.

It's a touchy subject for a few etec owners as somehow these facts offend them and personal attacks are their only response. It's your money so decide if facts are more helpful to you or personal attacks against those who provide them are. If you need more info, just ask.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19729&start=0

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... views.html

Bigfoot

Reaction score
You won't ever 2nd guess the Yamaha and see above post.

Do it once do it right - New Yamaha lightweight 4s 200 is the perfect fit for the 208

tomolalla

Reaction score
I appreciate all the links and it looks like I have some homework ahead of me. At this point I was going off asking a few dealers who sold both Yamahas and Etechs. Once I described my application they all recommended the new Yamaha over the Etech. They seemed to think the Yamaha was a little more reliable and there was more service support for the brand. The Etech would have more get up and go if you were into racing or waterskiing, etc. The only thing worrying me was that the Yamaha was in the first year of production and I wanted to see if there were any bugs to work out. Anyone out there with a new Yamaha 200 have any problems?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I am a believer in Yamaha. Are they trouble-free, no, but they are extremely dependable and have a huge dealer support network.

I would choose a Yamaha without thinking twice.

Like SoutheastFl says, there's a reason why major boat companies feature Yamaha exclusively.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tomolalla - this site has a pretty strong Yamaha slant to it - if you what information on E-TECs, please go over to the E-TEC Owners site: http://www.etecownersgroup.com/ or even Hull Truth.

Short answer is that E-TECs are lighter, faster, more powerful, and, as shown here, even quieter then 4-strokes at cruise where is counts the most:
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... -dB-levels

-Scott
"America works when you buy American"

Bigfoot

Reaction score
The ultimate answer is resale is higher with Yamaha - that speaks volumes.

I'd take an Etec, I just would not choose one. Good motors. Not great, just good. You want as close to bulletproof and confidence in your mind - that's Yamaha and all know this.

The worst storm I've ever been caught in I remember two things - had a full tank of gas and looked back and thanked God I had a Yamaha hanging on the transom.

What color motor do want to see when your life is on the line? The same one the manufactures are using is the answer.

Signed: they all break, some just less than others

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This horse gets beaten every few months.

With the latest info about the Yami 200's, if I do repower they'll be hanging off the back. The low end torque will always go to the 2 stroke but the cruise MPG goes to the Yami and when trolling it's no competition. Going from 1 MPG to 5 MPG when trolling, is the game changer

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am sure you know that the new Yamaha F200 is an in-line four cylinder as opposed to the older one which is a V-6. Not that it matters and even may be less money to service. BTW, government agencies tend to buy low bid....just sayin'.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The low end torque will always go to the 2 stroke but the cruise MPG goes to the Yami and when trolling it's no competition. Going from 1 MPG to 5 MPG when trolling, is the game changer

Guys this is not your father's Oldsmobile or Evinrude 8), E-TEC fuel economy is comparable to 4-strokes and I've been told that trolling performance for E-TEC is superior to 4-strokes.

At idle, my E-TEC 200HO burns 0.2344 GPH. (I got this number from my computer diagnostic and it is for one engine, not two). If I troll at 2 MPH with one engine, this exceeds 8 MPG.

E-TEC performance reports for a number of offshore boats can be found here:
http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/tools/per ... d=Offshore

Two noteworthy examples are:
1) 28-foot Dusky 278T with twin 200HOs: Troll 10MPG, Cruise 1.7 MPG at 46.3 MPH and a top speed 56.6 MPH.
2) 32'7" Andros Offshore 32 with twin 300s: Troll 7MPG, Cruise 1.6 MPG at 26.5 MPH through 1.5 MPG at 40.2 MPH. Top speed 52.6 MPH.

The small block 200HP numbers on a Hydra-Sports 2100 CC are 10.3 MPG troll and 2.8 MPG cruise, and the 150HP numbers on an Andros Guide 20 are 13.9 MPG troll and 4.6 MPG cruise.

-Scott

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
Guys this is not your father's Oldsmobile or Evinrude 8), E-TEC fuel economy is comparable to 4-strokes and I've been told that trolling performance for E-TEC is superior to 4-strokes.

At idle, my E-TEC 200HO burns 0.2344 GPH. (I got this number from my computer diagnostic and it is for one engine, not two). If I troll at 2 MPH with one engine, this exceeds 8 MPG.

E-TEC performance reports for a number of offshore boats can be found here:
http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/tools/per ... d=Offshore

Two noteworthy examples are:
1) 28-foot Dusky 278T with twin 200HOs: Troll 10MPG, Cruise 1.7 MPG at 46.3 MPH and a top speed 56.6 MPH.
2) 32'7" Andros Offshore 32 with twin 300s: Troll 7MPG, Cruise 1.6 MPG at 26.5 MPH through 1.5 MPG at 40.2 MPH. Top speed 52.6 MPH.

The small block 200HP numbers on a Hydra-Sports 2100 CC are 10.3 MPG troll and 2.8 MPG cruise, and the 150HP numbers on an Andros Guide 20 are 13.9 MPG troll and 4.6 MPG cruise.

-Scott[/quote]

Now you know SoutheastFL/Dan is going to consider this a personal attack and will have to report you to the moderators don't you? :p
No positive comments or actual experience with E-TEC's will be tolerated as long as he is here to set the record straight with his "facts".

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
CatTwentyTwo said:
Now you know SoutheastFL/Dan is going to consider this a personal attack and will have to report you to the moderators don't you? :p
No positive comments or actual experience with E-TEC's will be tolerated as long as he is here to set the record straight with his "facts".

Just another example of what you do best, low class personal attacks. Come on now you can do better that this - show us your hate !!! Like I said, readers can decide for themselves what is more important to them when they're spending many thousands of dollars on an outboard engine - facts and testimonials that directly answer their questions, or personal attacks against those who supply them.

For those who come on here to actually learn something, here is an article that appeared in the marine industry trade publication Trade Only Today illustrating the longevity of Yamaha engines. They wouldn't of published it if it wasn't verified and factual.

Yamaha puts outboards to the test
Posted on 06 August 2013

After logging 8,700 hours, a 2005 Yamaha F150 can match the performance of a new F150, according to test results released by the engine manufacturer.

Yamaha had two F150s that had racked up thousands of hours over three years powering a Charleston, S.C., water taxi. Engineers took one of the old outboards, mounted it on a 21-foot runabout and ran performance tests, then mounted the new F150 on the same boat and ran identical tests.

The result: The old engine was just as quick out of the hole and achieved the same top speed and roughly the same fuel economy at 3,500 rpm as a new engine.

"It comes down to forward thinking," Yamaha Marine Group product information manager David Meeler told Trade Only Today. "Using materials and processes for high corrosion resistance serves as just one example of that forward thinking."

Meeler pointed out another example: "The ignition coil is built directly into the spark plug cap. It seems like such a minor thing, but if you think about it, because there aren't any external wires and external connections there's no opportunity for corrosion to get in there and cause electrical issues. And as we all know, electrical issues can be very hard to solve."

The engines on the water taxi were operated 10 to 12 hours a day, covering 40 to 45 miles, said Charleston Water Taxi owner Scott Connelly. He estimates the engines were shifted 40,000 times during their three years of service.

The taxi now has two new F150s, Connelly said. “[The old outboards] will probably keep running, but with our business, we need to know for sure and need them every day,” he said. “It was more of a business decision."

Introduced in 2004, the F150 has been Yamaha's best-selling outboard. “It has been a home run for us,” said Meeler. A long-shaft (25 inches) model retails for $15,615.

— Chris Landry
http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/5262 ... o-the-test

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Anyone ever see the movie "Groundhog Day?"
:mrgreen: