New York Boat SHow & New Grady's

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Went to the show yesterday and what a ghost town... I visited Grady first... when we first walked in their area we were the only customers. Before we left Grady there were probably about 10 other people. Stopped at Boston Whaler... same thing... nobody there. Cabo... two other people there. Same with Tiara & Pursuit. We were there in the afternoon (12:30-4:30) and before we left there were definitely more people than when we arrived but still pretty much a disaster for the vendors. I felt bad for the salesmen... hopefully as the week progresses it will pick up for them.

Looked at the new 29' Chesapeake and 30' Tournament.

The 29' surprised me... very nice addition to the line. I have price amnesia but I think it ran about $200,000-220,000 msrp(didn't think to see if that included a genset). Show prices in round figures were marked down about 10%(some models had a little more knocked off) but that was crossed out on every boat with negotiations wide open... great time to buy. On the Chesapeake the extra 5" in beam and narrower walk around made a major difference(over the 272/282 Sailfish) in opening up the helm station area(this one had a companion seat which helped also) and also more floor space in the cabin... two people can now move around down there a heck a lot better than on the Sailfish. The hardtop and support frame no longer has that tall narrow look... now has a broader and lower profile look. The cabin was much more comfortable(a Marlin clone)... only concern I had was the length of the port forward vberth... looked a little short to me. You can now add a flat screen Tv/dvd player also. The helm station is also great... wide enough for two large(10-12") displays... nicer than the Marlin. The cockpit is set up pretty much like a Marlin except the starboard side has a storage box instead of a rigging station. You can add a generator also. I think the problem for Grady may be Marlin sales dropping off. There were no Marlin's at the show so I don't know what the msrp would be on them but I know last year it was around $260,000 for one with a standard set of options. Personally... when I jumped from a 282 to the 300 Marlin there was a big enough difference to make the move. If I had started with the 29' Chesapeake I would not have moved to the Marlin. One drawback... only has a fuel capacity of 206gal... not good if you are thinking canyons. Performance specs rate that boat on average at around 1.5/1.6 mpg with F250's. About the exact same as the Marlin according to Grady specs and I know that that on my Marlin when I have the boat fully loaded for a long canyon trip with 4 guys I get about 1.3mpg and in a head wind/sea I am getting about 1.0mpg. Those numbers would put the range of that boat at about 200-300 miles depending on conditions. Not sure I'd risk it without supplement fuel.

The 307 Tournament: if you live on or near the water and didn't want to do overnight trips with more than one person this is an all around great boat. Very nicely done. A fantastic day boat for larger groups and/or bigger waters. Some draw backs : 1) the wet bar/grill/refrig & inverter option the grill itself runs off 2 dedicated gel batteries... they cannot be charged by the outboards... only with a battery charger and the charge will only last 2hrs with the grill on high... may be a problem on an all day outing; 2) port side berth/head doesn't have a window or hatch... so if you stink it up :) or use it as a berth you would want to leave the door open to let fresh air in; and 3) only 206 gal fuel capacity... same as the 29' Chesapeake. For the market Grady targetted this boat for I think the only drawback that may be a problem is #1. can't remember the price on this boat.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great report Joe. I feel for all of the boating industry. If car sales are down as much as reported imagine boat sales since they are not near as necessary (well, at least to some folks). :wink:

I look forward to our show in January when I can get a close look at the 29. Many are curious as to how the lineup fits together down the road. I'd still prefer a 300 over the 290 due to extra size and fuel but I also agree the tradeup was much more significant from a Sailfish.

I am currently in en ebay bid for speakers for Megabytes 3 even though that is a ways off. Problem is I like the boat so much I am in no hurry to trade, especially with my new custom stamoid/strataglass canvas.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Cummins, deer season is over so I'm finally thinking boats and fishing again. I agree with you... I'd still get the Marlin as well especially for the increase in range but for the average person(who doesn't need the range) the price difference may be too great for the extra size. I think there is about a $40,000+ difference between the 290 & 300. Maybe some other guys with better memory than me will chime in with the boat show prices. If I decided to buy a new boat right now I doubt I could afford a Marlin again.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Joe,I think the 29 went for about $180 at the Tobay show this fall.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
>> If I decided to buy a new boat right now I doubt I could afford a Marlin again

Got that right! The last price I saw was up 30% from what I paid. Not sure about the 2009 models. Then there is the economic uncertainty, job market, financing, etc. I feel d**m lucky to have a job, 2 homes, and a nice boat. :D

striped bass

Reaction score
Joe:
You are right on about both the 29 and the 307. I was on both at the Boston show last Fall. Very nice indeed. I met David Neese, VP of GW Engineering, and we discussed options for the 307. He said, if a buyer chooses, the 307 can be turned into more of a fishing machine by eliminating the port side chair/electric lounge seat and the bar/grill on the starboard side. Grady can install a tackle drawer and storage boxes in their place. The increase in cockpit space with this arrangement is substantial and makes for one heck of a fishing machine.
The retail price with two Yamaha TF350s is $194K.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
All the Grady show prices posted had red lines slashed across them, the salespeople made it clear the price was not the posted price when they spotted me taking notes.

That's not how the show prices had been posted before.

Not only was the Marlin not in NY, a first that I recall, but neither the Gulfstream. You draw your own conclusions.

I was offered a 2007 left over Marlin when I inquired where the Marlin was ?

The 290 slashed show price was 191.5K. w F250s, probably a genny & bow thruster incl.

I agree much with Joe on the 290.
When they squared off the bridge to gain width - got to be careful making way up the narrow and shallow walkaround, I clipped my head on the hardtop edge - it was well into the walkaround instead of back off a bit, seemed to me.
The lower berth looked deeper, but they had a mirror back there wasn't sure.

This is a bridge boat covering Marlin and Saifish ranges, IMHO.
The bridge was roomier and the console can take the biggest MFDs you can find, several of them.

I have to get used to such steroid induced console proportions, it seemed almost comical up there. This boat had the wraparound port seating with plenty of room to the cabin entrance.

Last year's Marlin show price was 242K w. F350s.
Last years Sailfish show price was 160.4K w F250s

I bet if the sales don't occur thru Sunday, anyone interested in the 290 can take it home near last years street price of the 282. What a deal for cash buyers, if there are any out there. It's a cash buyers market for sure.

First time in a very long time, decades, there were more boat salespeople than attendees, at the Grady display too, as I recall.

The only crowd gathering that caught my attention was the lineup at the photo op for the two captain brothers of the Time Bandit - of the Deadliest Catch TV fame, I was more interested in the adjacent display of craftsmen going at it on the wood boats with chisels old school style, and sowing canvas by hand.

When we left about 1:00PM the marine mart picked up a bit, but could still breeze thru. Unusual for that time of day.

If anyone is interested I can post the slashed show prices from everything 275 and up including the topless 360 with the usual tripple F350s.
Can't offer MSRPs since of no use to me - didn't record.

I squeezed the Yamaha factory guy on a comparable lighter weight F200, comparable to the 200 HPDI, he said in a round about way they are looking at a 4 cylinder 200. I said lighter but no match for my 6 cylinders?He agreed but not at top end. That's was all I could get. He tried to get me interested in one F350 to replace my twin 200 HPDIs, 8 cyclinders vs. my 12 @ 400 (get serious).

To the HP fanatics out there, I guessed (as bait) the F350 should easily be good for 400 (?), he said it's good for 450, that's right 450HP.

--------------------------------------------
Who knows when the next NY show will be, doubt 2009.

I liked how Pursuit is loosing a lot of the aluminum in their hardtops - starting to transition to molded up glass tops. Perhaps another time - on more of this.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With the 29, the Marlin is kinda the odd kid out. Were they thinking of a 33 walk to upsize the Marlin?

The 350 has enough displacement for 450 HP but it's probably better suited for 400, maybe 425 (you might loose too much lower end torque pushing the curve up for the 450). Why they bother making the 300 has me baffeled. Who's going to buy an 800 pound 300 HP engine (that's not a diesel)?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, remember, these aren't negotiated prices.
Just the slashed show prices as posted.
And if you search my posts from the last two years, you can find the prices from those show years.

290 - 191.5k w F250s
360 - 470k w F350s x 3
305 - 261.5K w F250s
Ms. Marlin ------ I miss you !
330 - 340.4k F350s
275 - 125.3 K w F150s
307 - 212.4K w F250s
Canyon (336?) 277.8K w F350s
Gulfstream ------ dear little brother of my Sailfish, where are you?

That's all I noted.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And if anyone is interested in the leftover 2007 Marlin w F250s, I mentioned - call Spellmens or ask at the show !

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grog, the Yamaha factory guy said Yamaha tested the motor to 450HP, take it with a grain of salt.

Then the 800+ pounds makes sense, to me.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob P, thanks for the detailed report on the pricing... when did you go to the show? I was there on monday. One other point... when I boarded the Cabo the two salesmen couldn't be nicer and kept pointing out selling features. Plus... I don't recall Cabo being at the NY Show in the past... that should tell us something!! A couple of years ago when the market was booming I boarded a Cabo at the Norwalk show and the salesman didn't even make an effort to talk to me... guess back then I didn't look like money and/or he didn't need what I had. Boy have things changed.

Striped Bass... that's good news about the extra options on the 307(being able to delete the lounge seat and add a rigging station where the grill/refrig would go)... they should advertise that... it's not mentioned in the catalog. In my mind those options really add to the versatility of that boat in a big way.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
BobP said:
Ok, remember, these aren't negotiated prices.
Just the slashed show prices as posted.
And if you search my posts from the last two years, you can find the prices from those show years.

290 - 191.5k w F250s
360 - 470k w F350s x 3
305 - 261.5K w F250s
Ms. Marlin ------ I miss you !
330 - 340.4k F350s
275 - 125.3 K w F150s
307 - 212.4K w F250s
Canyon (336?) 277.8K w F350s
Gulfstream ------ dear little brother of my Sailfish, where are you?

That's all I noted.

Keep in mind that these aren't even the prices that the boats are starting at- they are the 'crossed out' prices designed to get an interested party to ask a salesperson for the actual show price...

striped bass

Reaction score
HDGWJOE:
I had to ask about the options and Neese was responsive. He is also fitting a Bimini top with the usual side curtains for the 307 as an option for the customers that do not want the hard top. Neese said for any customer really interested in a 307 (i.e. put down a deposit) GW would be willing to discuss options. My situation is that I don't need a GW with cocktail amenities or cabin. I have a small home on the water so I am mostly a fishing day tripper. But I do need a large fishing platform for my family that is sturdy, safe and serviceable and the 307 (and 275) fit the bill. I was heartened to hear Neese being flexible which he can afford to be since he is part of the top brass at GW.

BobP: Thanks for the pricing. Interesting to revisit the numbers one year from now!

kzb38a1

Reaction score
To megabytes

I'm bored and have been looking through this forum, it seems megabytes should just get over it and go buy a Pursuit..........instead of alway's wanting Grady to go take a look!

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
striped bass said:
HDGWJOE:
I had to ask about the options and Neese was responsive. He is also fitting a Bimini top with the usual side curtains for the 307 as an option for the customers that do not want the hard top. Neese said for any customer really interested in a 307 (i.e. put down a deposit) GW would be willing to discuss options. My situation is that I don't need a GW with cocktail amenities or cabin. I have a small home on the water so I am mostly a fishing day tripper. But I do need a large fishing platform for my family that is sturdy, safe and serviceable and the 307 (and 275) fit the bill. I was heartened to hear Neese being flexible which he can afford to be since he is part of the top brass at GW.

That's great news. Good to see GW being responsive in this economic environment. That will hopefully bring is some new customers and help the dealerships. I wonder if they would consider similar "customizations" within reason on other models??

GW, their dealers and all other boat manufacturers are and will be hurting real bad for the next couple of years. Maybe they need to take a year or two off like the AFL(Arena Football League) to stop the bleeding and put a recovery plan in place. No matter which way a dealer looks right now they see bad news... their delivery quota's from the factory have probably been reduced based on GW's 4 day week and layoffs, they probably won't be able to sell what they do get alotted anyway, base prices have gone up impacting profit margin capability and saleability, plus the used boat market is loaded with late model fantastic deals. And it looks like things will get much worse before they get better. Take a look at this (I posted this in another thread about the fall Boston Boat Show also). Where is the end to this stuff!!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4668112n

striped bass

Reaction score
Joe:
The 60 Minutes piece is scary. A lot of manufacturers and dealers (of all kinds) will surely go under before it is all over.
I don't know the answer to GW flexibility on all models. I pressed the issue on the two large dual console models (307, 275) because it seemed uncomplicated to offer the unlisted options I wanted since the space behind the two helm chairs was accessible and easily done. Never hurts to ask!