New York Boat SHow & New Grady's

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: To megabytes

kzb38a1 said:
I'm bored and have been looking through this forum, it seems megabytes should just get over it and go buy a Pursuit..........instead of alway's wanting Grady to go take a look!

Congrats on such an informative and inviting first post. I'll bet you will make lots of new friends here. :roll:

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
I see you guys are talking about the slashed prices....we ordered our 08' 305 Express w/F250's in Nov 07' and paid quite a bit less than the price that was posted as the "slash" price as stated earlier in this post and this included about 15K worth of electronics and 2-3k in misc. stuff that were all thrown in with our final buying price!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Southern, we all know the show prices were negotiable always, unless there was more demand than supply of that model at the time.

However, unless one sits down at the show table and bargains, how else do you expect to come up with a rock bottom price to list here ?

I wasn't about to do that, that's not respectful of the Grady dealer business. Others can.

If the boats are selling soon enough in the week, you know they will tighten up. When I was there Sunday, I bet not one boat was sold yet from the looks on the faces selling, not the case last year. So if the boats are not selling by this weekend, it will loosen some more, should anyone be looking for rock bottom prices.

Grady is a luxury boat line in case anyone hasn't come to realize that yet, no stripped doen "value" models, all loaded to the hilt.

Luxury boat buyers may not be interested in rock bottom, so what's the difference a 20 or 30 grand might make?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On a related note...

Crockers website says they are closed from Dec 18 through Jan 5. I recall they generally take some holiday time off but my guess is they are trying to cut costs during slow times. I don't ever remember the dealership being closed for that long a stretch. This includes sales, parts, AND service.

A sign of the times...I really feel for these businesses. :(

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Joe - we were there Sunday. I can imagine the ghost town on Monday. The Post had a photo on Tuesday of the Monday show, no one person was in the photos just boats ! (The Post likes to work it!)

And yes, how times have changed with salespeople, they have to work now! I can say in good and bad times, the Grady sales people at the shows were always "non-attitude" to me.

I spent some time with the Mercury outboard factory guy, very good, I asked him why the F150 needs a balance shaft and his 200 4 cyl Verado didn't, he was on top of that one.

Verado has a very compact supercharger and intercooler, I believe with a water to air heat exchanger, nice work - talk about technology.
The Verado also has an unsual transom mount, I never noticed that design before, supposed to better at isolating vibration.

This one if for MegaB-

I was over at the Pursuit display, did I say Pursuit? And two sales people were so busy talking to each other and I stood there looking at both waiting for them to acknowlege me - I had a question and was being polite about it, even after both did notice, neither one walked over, I had to hell over with a question.

I guess they didn't get the message (?), or threw in the towel already.
I was not my usual self, otherwise I would have said "you two see more interested in yourselves than selling boats ?

I always say, one should get at least equal service when inquiring about a $200K plus boat, as when ordering a 5 dollar foot long hero at Subway!

Those boats over at Pursuit, EverGlades, and Scout were cute too, did I say Pursuit again?.

Mega B - I think another fence sitter just bruised his can falling off and lost his lunch too!

Yep, those Pursuits looked hot ! (That last one took care of dinner !)
-------------------------------

I noticed Sea Isle Tackle wasn't there (a first in how many decades?) and True World Marine wasn't there.

The Sham Whoa! display was there however in full swing !

Never mind me guys, I' m deep into my winter depression phase.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Update.

As for the post aimed at me and my retaliatory reply - turns out it was from an aquaintence and meant in jest. He sent email to explain so I officially retract my reply. :lol:

As for what else I learned...I will leave it up to him if he wishes to share.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm upset with you too..

You didn't participate in my "Sharks!" Thread...

I am joking, for the record..

I keep trying to predict in my head what'll happen to Grady and I keep coming up with no answers.
I would think the big twin and triple engine Express boats might go by the wayside.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Best shark story I have is a large hammerhead chasing a hooked king mackerel. He was probably 10'. We left the area after landing the mac.
We don't fish for sharks much around her although there is a club which does so on the Outer Banks. They paddle baits out and fish from the surf.

There are many signs of a tough boating market which will likely carry into 2009. Considering the historically poor auto sales it isn't hard to imagine numbers for new boat sales. As many have suggested there will be a market shakeout. There are two many builders making too many boats. GW, Pursuit, BW, Hatteras, Viking, etc should be in better shape then newer companies with less a established customer base.

Like the company I work for, GW is debt free which is a nice place to be when the economy turns south. They are still working to innovate their products even if the production numbers are down.

seasick

Reaction score
Went on Friday

Neither snow nor rain.......

I went to the show today, Friday. If there were 100 people (non sales folk) there it was a lot. In many aisles I could look up and down and not see another person. On the possitive side, there were no crowds to deal with. Toured the Express 30 with the captains seat sort of in the middle of the helm. I hit that darn arm rest twice, once going into the cabin and again when leaving. The view over the motorised electronics enclosure is limited for me ( being a bit short) but I have that problem on a lot of boats. I usually sit on a cushion:)
My buddy bought a new GPS (Garmin 4208) and had a lot of fun running between 3 or 4 sellers with his latest price. I think he did well today. There are deals to be had.
Happy Holidays to all.

dan313

Reaction score
We went to the show last Saturday. It was a light crowd. My brother went on Sunday and said the same thing. Not crowed at all. I spoke with one Grady Dealer who i had bought my boat from and he said that as of Dec they only had 4 customers that ordered boats. Not sure which models.

Times are tuff.

But that Sham Wow booth sold quite a few of them.

Lenny

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think the best prices are on a late model used or non-current new. I've seen a loaded non-current 2007 Marlin for $180K.