NJ fishing reports

Finest Kind

Reaction score
It has started...(if you are up North).
Got a report Striper blitz at Roamer shoals this morning.
Troll bite was on stretch 25's

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
First post of the 2019 season.
The Grady is docked. Have a minor leak in my new steering/autopilot...Shadow drive fitting leaking...

But...Stripers are stacked up in the dock light on a running outgoing tide
.output.jpg

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
First post of the 2019 season.
The Grady is docked. Have a minor leak in my new steering/autopilot...Shadow drive fitting leaking...

But...Stripers are stacked up in the dock light on a running outgoing tide
.View attachment 7326

Skunk, you get the stripers in the river?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Funny, I was just about to update!

Ran to Humpty Dumpty/Little Italy yesterday before sunrise. Beautiful weather. Went there on reports that Bluefins had been there during the week. It is only 20 miles.
Looked very promising , small bait and birds. Thought see saw fish once but could have been shearwaters swimming underwater.
Gave that area couple widening circles , no luck. fleet started to build around us. No fish so broke off to troll out to the Lillian area. No Bait there so ran back to the fleet and gave that a few circles.
Nobody catching, radio had some fish at the Resor so we picked up and ran 20 miles. Bigger fleet there spread out for miles around the Resor wreck. There had been some fish caught early. We had no knock downs for hours of effort.
Later found out the guys 6-7 miles east had fish early and picked at fish throughout the day. Was not a great day though, lots of lamenters like us.

We " broke for lunch" and sat on the Resor but only managed 4 ling, no sea bass there.. Went back on the troll. we decided to point it home on the troll. We did see one 40# bluefin caught on a boat in front of us.
At 3 we decided to give up and run in to the Mohawk to catch sea bass. Got 23 seabass and headed home at 6. Did not take one picture.....

Reactions: 1st8Eer

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Had a similar experience same day on my Buddy's 25 Trophy Pro the "Audrey Sue". We are going to try for the elusive BFT again this Saturday.

If you are looking to load up on Seabass fillets before the regulations change, just drift the mussel beds in 75 feet off Seaside...look for the life stacked up around the lobster buoys.
Use a small Tsunami ball jig tipped with a 4" chartreuse Gulp and just drop, bounce and reel!
Our recent catches there have been incredible...a lot of shorts to weed through but lots of fun doing it.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Got a 41 inch BFT yesterday near the Resor. Had to wade through a thousand false albacore...big one's...
We had a screamer BFT on a Penn 80 but got cutoff by a dickhead who wouldn't move. He had a guy on the bow casting a plug over our line.
ended up in his prop...I hope the braid ruins his shaft seals. And it was my absolute favorite lure... blue & white chugger daisy chain with a small rubber bird.
That thing had been re-rigged multiple times been catching fish in FL and NJ for 20 years.

will post pix when I get a chance

Video

Bluefin at Resor

fullsizeoutput_3925.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jargon and bac0701

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Got this 55" Bluefin, we're guessing 75 or 80#, near the Princess on Saturday afternoon, then we came in and gassed up for a Toms canyon run on Sunday. Seas were not as flat as predicted but we went anyways. Tried the Princess at sunrise on the way out with no luck. Got to Toms at 1030. Found edge of warm gulf stream eddy 71deg. We missed out on the good Bigeye bite at sunrise. Reports of mahi between Toms and Hudson. Got no bites trolling so switched to tile fishing. We quickly limited out on Bluelines. the first bite was immediate and a 50 bent butt was really bent, came up with a double with one monster and the bottom hook and weight gone.

Once again I can't say enough about the ride of this boat and how absolutely awesome the Garmin autopilot preforms.

t5DjcVyl.jpg

FY7HsEjl.jpg

Wdr00Asl.jpg

k7y97Cdl.jpg

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Way to Go! Nice BFT. Afternoon bite you say?
hmmmmmm maybe I'll sleep in and leave at noon next time.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Left at 7pm Wed to run to the Princess. put lines out short of there before we lost light. just a small bluefish but that made a fresh shark bait. drifted for shark/tuna all night
bluefish got bit in less than 30 minutes ...small Dusky.
covered in squid under my new blue light stick. they didn't bite very well we got less than a dozen for baits...left the throw net at home
32.gif
dolphins and pilot whales came thru every hour and filled up on squid.
got a very small mako about 2 am. no tuna bites.
started to troll at 430am, first bluefin 46" at 5am, second bluefin 52" at 520am

headed to the tip of the Hudson Canyon. searched for tilefish for a couple hours with no luck just a handful of spotted hake, a whiting and a tiny rosey.

Hit the lobster pot markers on the way in and found some beautiful mahi.
One pot had an 18 pound bull and 12 pound cow and another 10 pounder.

My 1/4 share of tuna...18 pounds!

4jwiIe2l.jpg

VWyJBr6l.jpg

WLvANu4l.jpg

Vf7i3m1l.jpg

p8zSC9Ul.jpg

O7CNNqll.jpg

TOPktdVl.jpg

OQFGQn2l.jpg

iJ1PpT3l.jpg

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Left the inlet at 3 pm to the Princess. Heard the bluefin tuna jigging was hot. Got there 430 pm. Lots of readings from 10 ft down to bottom at 170ft. Dropped some jigs on the shallow reading and we were covered up with 5 -8 pound bluefish. Finally got below them to the bottom and got a bluefin that came up quick to show us what he was.. an easy 50-60 pound fish. had him on my cod fishing outfit....he proceded to dive to the bottom and we did the dance for a half hour. Had wind on leader 6 times...6 th time he shook the jig...bah bye. I was shot. put that rod away and got bent butt 50.
Went back on that drift, immediately had another on my brothers small rod. It kicked his ass for 30 minutes and then broke his rod. bah bye.
Went back on the drift immediately he had another on a TLD25 outfit that has caught several 60 pound fish. kicked his ass for 20 minutes, did a burning run and the line broke at the roller tip.
Went back on the drift and I immediately got one on the Penn 50 with a bent butt. We were sure we had him this time. That was at 750pm. He kicked my ass for an hour, had the wind-on at the surface 9 times. 9th time he shook the jig. That was 850pm. That fish had to be 100 pounds+. I've had 60 pound fish on that rod in in 15 minutes

0 for 4 and headed for home 45 miles in the dark
There was a guy in a CC that hooked up on a spinning rod when we hooked our 2nd fish. He was still fighting that fish when we left a 9pm.

We were using heavy chrome jigs and we were at the bottom in 170 ft

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Back at the Atlantic Princess area on Friday and redeemed myself with a 40" bluefin. That after losing a 50- 60 pounder early...damn jigs just don't stay stuck.
There were fish caught at the Resor also and mahi have shown up in the Glory hole