ocean runner 200 stalls at idle - experience?

dtsherry1

Reaction score
I have twin Johnson ocean runner 200's on my sailfish. The starboard motor stall consistently at idle but stays running when throttled. My mechanic believed it to be an ignition issue and changed out the power pack and stator but this did not help. I personally think its a fuel flow issue. It stalls on either tank so I don't expect a problem between the tanks and the valve but possible after the valve? I also installed a fuel flow meter and notice that while the port motor needle stays fairly constant while running or idling the starboard motor fluctuates fairly significantly as far as flow. Could this be a flow issue and if so how do I check it and clean it out? Thanks in advance.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My old 192 was factory equipped with a 150 ocean runner and it too had these problems. We did all to the motor as well. It would start fine and idle fine cold but after running for 20 minutes or so when we stopped the motor it would give us fits. Since I had a single it was a hazard at a times. We never could solve it so when Yamaha came out with their F 150 we traded the motor in and empowered. Best decision I ever made. B our fuel economy more than doubled and the motor never had a lick of trouble.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
What year? Carburetor?
Check to see if the fuel line is sucking air. IE: cracked line, gasket...

shauncooper

Reaction score
Also check your cylinder compression - I had a '95 OCean Pro 150 exhibiting the same symptoms, ran fine at virtually anything above idle, but cut-out on idle, turned out I had a cylinder with low compression.

fishbust

Reaction score
Wow a power pack and a stator? That must have been costly. I hope you kept the old parts.

Usually lean condition on the older motors will do it, especially if it is sneezing. If carb'd, richen up the idle circuit a little bit and mechanically adjust the idle up a bit also.

gradydriver

Reaction score
It's the carbs and a fuel flow issue.....yer idle jets are clogged...you can overcome it when you pour on the fuel...it's carburation...NOT electrical.....Stator sheez....time for NEW mechanic..... :-|

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
yes carb rebuild time and check when the last time the vro pump was rebuild, it runs on engine pulse to deliver fuel. Check vac lines by removing them, and inspect them. My parts were worn a bit, more throttle the better it ran. And it stalled a few min after idle. Pump rebuld kit is onlt 140$ per kit so if your not sure if it has been done in a while, do it anyway. Mine Idles as normal after the rebuild.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Had same issue with 150 ocean runner .As Gradydriver described clogged jets. Ran cheap oil ot any more though. There is a utube that is helpful if you are do it yourself.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I had a pare of the same motors that would stall all of the time at low rpm's. The olde carb engines had a a cut out for 2 cylinders for fuel savings at idle. I had to have the cylinder cut out wiring removed so that my motors stayed running. I tried increasing the idle speed but that didn't work as well as disconnecting the 2 cylinder electric circuit. I never got pushed up against the pilings by the wind or tide again since the motors ran. I didn't hive a hoot about the fuel savings because I didn't waste much time at idle speed.