Officially part of the club

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Well as of this weekend, I am now the proud owner of a 2000 265 express. Almost wasn't the case. A little story...

Saw this particular 265 for sale up in the Seattle area on Marketplace around middle of August, it was listed for 65k, which I thought was a bit high considering it has the OX66 250s on it. Also came with a triple axle trailer. Exchanged some messages with the seller. I'll leave out the random stuff, but he told me the powerheads had been replaced and have approx. 500 hours on them. Boat also has a Yamaha 9.,9 kicker, with all 3 tied in to the Simrad AP. Lowrance sounder is about 4 years old, he wasn't sure on the Garmin radar. Told him I was interested but needed to sell my North River before I was going to make a move. I was going to be up in his area around the first week of September and asked if I could come see the boat if it was still available, he said no problem.

Get up there to look at the boat, wasn't the best of days to look at it, pouring down rain. He did have it out of the water and on a trailer. Overall, it was decent, not perfect by any means. It was pretty dirty, some what I guess could be considered normal wear and tear for a 22-year-old boat. I didn't have time to take it out for a sea trial at that point. We talked for a while, and I told him I thought he was a bit overpriced for having the original 2 strokes on there. He kind of blew me off with the "yeah, yeah", which was fine as I was still trying to sell my boat.

Fast forward a few weeks, I get a message from the seller. He mentioned that I thought it was overpriced and asked where I thought it should be priced at. I explained to him that I had been looking at these boat off and on for 4-5 years and based off of my research he should be priced around 40k. I gave him some examples of boats on Boat trader and yacht world with the original OX66's that were in the low 40s that were in cleaner condition that his. Showed him some repowered 4 strokes that were anywhere from the mid 50s on up. He took my recommendation well, and said to keep an eye on his listing, and it would probably be in the ballpark. At the time, he said he would sell it to me for 40k if I had it funded by the end of the month. Mine still hadn't sold, so I knew that wasnt going to happen. I did happen to look, and he lowered his price to 45k on marketplace.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, mine finally sold, and his was still listed. I called and arranged to have a survey done. Survey came back mostly as I expected. The hull including transom was solid. The only issue with the hull that he found was a small area on the starboard side of the hull, just forward of the transom was a little soft. He didn't seem concerned with that at all, and just said to monitor it. He mentioned about lack of "care and cleanliness", pretty much stuff that I had noticed when I looked at it a couple of months earlier. The biggest issue was on the sea trial. Normal cruising from idle to 3900, engines and boat ran smooth. WOT about 3900 rpms port engine would stall out. Seller noted the Aux fuel tank was low/empty, so switched to the main tank, same thing. Seller said its fuel was low, was reading 2 "bars" on the gauge. Between talking with the seller and the surveyor, I was obviously getting 2 different stories. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so that part of me says well if its low on fuel, both motors should have stalled. The surveyor agreed with me, saying the port motor is the only one that stalled. Seller, said, that both motors stalled.

I told the seller I would come up the following weekend to sea trial it with him with enough fuel in the tanks to rule that out, if all goes well, we can probably make a deal.

Made the 5-hour trek up there, we went over things on the boat again. I went over it a bit more closely this time since it wasn't raining. Went out for the sea trial, boat and engines ran smooth, but noticed he was having a hard time "controlling" the boat. He was giving a ton of steering input, but the boat wasn't reacting to it. Asked him to go ahead and open it up, he did, was running around 4900 rpms for a minute, then the port engine sputtered and stalled. Steering was getting worse. While we are sitting there, he is turning the wheel at least a full turn before the motors would make any movement. Not feeling very good at this point.

We get back to the dock, the better half and I go for a walk, and she and I agree it might be best to walk away based off the price. I wasn't to concerned with the steering, again, being mechanically inclined, I suspect it has a leak and has air in the system. Also based on the research I've done on the OX66, the LP fuel pumps seem to be a known issue that cause a similar problem. He said its been probably 2-3 years since they were last replaced. I had planned on going through and replacing all the filters, LP pumps, waterpumps, tstats, etc if I bought it anyway.

I tell the guy, sorry, but with not knowing exactly what its going to need, I think Im going to have to walk away. He understood, and I think he felt pretty bad as well that it went the way it did. I told him if he got the issues taken care of, to give me a call and maybe we can work something out. We get on the road, about 3 miles down the road, I get a text, "Since you're here, why dont we do it for 35k? That should be enough to cover the repairs"

I respond with, "Well, not knowing exactly what it's going to need, I'd be willing to spend 32k" and the deal was struck.

Overall I feel pretty good about the purchase. Once I got back and was poking around, I opened up the compartment in the vberth behind the helm, and the back of the helm is completely wet with hydraulic fluid. So it looks like it needs a new helm. I'll get all the maintenance stuff done I mentioned earlier and give her a good run to see if the stalling still occurs.

I had planned on doing a repower in the next couple of years anyways, so just need them to get by till then.

Last edited:

used2sail

Reaction score
Wow, thats a heck of a story. Congrats to you i have always been partial to the 265 express boats, I'm supposed to close on my first Grady this Friday but i wont have a fantastic tale like yours. I hope you get everything sorted out over the winter and that you have a great season next year.

Reactions: Saltyone

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's crazy what boats are being listed at and sell for up here in the Seattle area compared to the rest of the country, which is why with each of my boats I've purchased them back on the east coast. My first boat was a 21' Arima Sea Ranger with the skip top, of which all of the ones out here in Seattle or the PNW were in the low to mid $30k range. Which I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a boat at the time, so I ended up buying mine out in Maryland for $16.5k. Same thing goes for my Grady, I've seen almost identical 228 Seafarer's to mine sell out here for $55k and $65k. They did have radar and a kicker motor on them but the one was the same year as mine and the other was a 2005 with the same main motor. I also think radar and a used kicker motor could be added to my boat if I really wanted to for less than $5k total, yet I bought my boat last October again in Maryland for $26.5k. Not sure what makes the boats out here so much more money, but people continue to pay these crazy prices for them, and I agree with you that $60k is an insane asking price. Congrats on the boat and good luck with the maintenance and repairs!

Last edited:

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
It's crazy what boats are being listed at and sell for up here in the Seattle area compared to the rest of the country, which is why with each of my boats I've purchased them back on the east coast. My first boat was a 21' Arima Sea Ranger with the skip top, of which all of the ones out here in Seattle or the PNW were in the low to mid $30k range. Which I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a boat at the time, so I ended up buying mine out in Maryland for $16.5k. Same thing goes for my Grady, I've seen almost identical 228 Seafarer's to mine sell out here for $55k and $65k. They did have radar and a kicker motor on them but the one was the same year as mine and the other was a 2005 with the same main motor. I also think radar and a used kicker motor could be added to my boat if I really wanted to for less than $5k total, yet I bought my boat last October again in Maryland for $26.5k. Not sure what makes the boats out here so much more money, but people continue to pay these crazy prices for them, and I agree with you that $60k is an insane asking price. Congrats on the boat and good luck with the maintenance and repairs!
Yeah, aluminum boats are the same way right now. I bought my 2015 North River Seahawk new for 55k. I added probably 8k worth of stuff over the years to it. Just sold it for 65k.

He was out of line at his original 65k asking. There are a couple of comparable 265s on the east coast right now with OX66s for 38500 and 39500, but neither have a trailer or the kicker motor. That's why I figured 40k for his was in the ballpark before the issues that popped up.

265s rarely pop up for sale here in the PNW, so thar might be one reason those bring a premium.

Still feel pretty good for picking it up for 32k.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
So if any knows a Robert from Boca Raton, FL (appears to be the original owner) or a Charles or Robert (2nd owners)from Pismo Beach, CA that used to own a 265, let them know the boat is still around. Found a bunch of paperwork, registrations, service manuals, etc in the big Grady bag.

So couple of questions.

The 2 storage boxes to access the batteries, does anyone make replacements, or has someone come up with an alternative? They aren't destroyed, but the edges are chipped/missing in places.

Replacement foam for the vberth sleeping area. I assume just a fabric store, or is it special for outdoor type environment?

Thanks

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congratulations on your new boat. I would be very curious about:

"The hull including transom was solid. The only issue with the hull that he found was a small area on the starboard side of the hull, just forward of the transom was a little soft. He didn't seem concerned with that at all, and just said to monitor it."

Exactly where on the hull is this spot, and is the area supposed to be cored, or solid glass?

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Congratulations on your new boat. I would be very curious about:

"The hull including transom was solid. The only issue with the hull that he found was a small area on the starboard side of the hull, just forward of the transom was a little soft. He didn't seem concerned with that at all, and just said to monitor it."

Exactly where on the hull is this spot, and is the area supposed to be cored, or solid glass?
If I understand correctly this area is cored.
Screenshot_20221114_214332.jpg

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like you have some work ahead of you this winter, best of luck!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The 2 storage boxes to access the batteries, does anyone make replacements, or has someone come up with an alternative? They aren't destroyed, but the edges are chipped/missing in places.
Plastic tub repair it ain't pretty but I can throw them around now!

New Battery Config for 265 I changed setup and put switches under gunnels so you don't have to remove the tubs every time.

Motors need VST filter and fuel injectors cleaned OX66 225 "stumbling" when running over 3500 rpm

btw, when you are low on gas, ONE motor stalls first. The pickup tubes are staggered. Thats a good thing.....

Congrats!!!!

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats! I look forward to seeing you on the water. I regularly fish out out Illwaco & Garibaldi.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If I understand correctly this area is cored.
View attachment 27608
That coring is accessible from the battery compartment. The battery shelf is glassed to it right about there. Look for a poorly placed screw inside.
I would suggest not screwing into the balsa coring but find a better way... adhesive or epoxy/glass to it.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
So if any knows a Robert from Boca Raton, FL (appears to be the original owner) or a Charles or Robert (2nd owners)from Pismo Beach, CA that used to own a 265, let them know the boat is still around. Found a bunch of paperwork, registrations, service manuals, etc in the big Grady bag.

So couple of questions.

Replacement foam for the vberth sleeping area. I assume just a fabric store, or is it special for outdoor type environment?

Thanks

I would suggest going to Sailrite.com and ordering "marine indoor foam".

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
The hydraulic fluid on the back of the helm was fluid burping up back through the fill plug. Obviously due to air in the system. I've looked over the steering system and haven't found any "obvious" leaks. The only thing that may be suspect is the ram is a little "wet", didn't really see any drips off the bottom of the end seals.

So, thinking I'll start with replacing the seals and bleed the system.

I tried finding the model number of the ram, but the sticker is missing. Are the seal kits pretty universal for single ram setup?

My helm is the Seastar HH6541

Thanks

Last edited: