Okay, check this out.. had an idea...

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, I had an idea, after looking at another thread, tell me what your thoughts are...(I know.. scary.. lol)

Look at the picture below. What the PO, or the one before, did was they took the DOOR off the Islander dash, and simply placed a panel over it, and added the VHF and the 10" screen, right?

I keep trying to figure out how to get another 1/2-1" out of the dash to fit a 2nd screen, but.. I was wondering if what I need to think of is how to re-design that dash.. rather than "cover it". For instance,

I noticed the hinge to the door is still there (I do not have the boat here, so it hit me as I was looking at it... not the boat.. the idea.. lol )... The problem is, my mind always thinks towards structural strength. The closer I get to the edges, the less structural strength I have for screws... ...so I was like, "well, design a fancy "bracket" or whatever that screws into the sides of the dash so you can take it to the edge.."

That got me looking at how I match it top and bottom, so it does not look like a hack job..

Then, I thought, what if there was a way to design an entire dash cover....sorta like the sun cover, that (I would need to remove that hinge assembly all together), went over the entire dash, like a fish finder cover, and I sealed it all along the edges, just like a deck hatch, and screwed it in with some sort of screws that would also be strong, but decorative (have to also make it look nice but strength and durability are the key factors....heh)... so I could use the entire dash area...

I know... gotta "picture it".. and, not easy to do.

Will not be that cheap...

BUT...now that I think about it.. even a thick starboard piece that simply has the shape cut out of it deep enough that it overlaps...

So, it is possible.. will not be "cheap" i am sure, but should easily allow me to gain more "real estate" on the dash...

Thoughts?

(Not happening soon.. lol.. this is a while..but... trying to find a way to add a 2nd screen right next to the other..heh. I am a computer guy.. my mind thinks 'ergo dynamics'... and I hate looking up-down-up-down to two screens)

R

Attachments

• 000idea.jpg
    000idea.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 145

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is exactly what GW offers in some boats (flush mount kit). Not sure if they made one for your boat.

Ozz043

Reaction score
I have done something similar, went to a plastic shop and gave them the template for the Hds. Yes it could be a little better ( the stencil moved when I was tracing the perimeter ) I like it anyway

Attachments

• 11A9DF11-4926-408B-997C-14335020A7BE.jpeg
    11A9DF11-4926-408B-997C-14335020A7BE.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 78

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Black Box VHF and you can tuck that radio away and only need room for a mic clip...which can be moved off the panel.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The small hatch lets you access the connections, which will be needed on occasion. Also creates a "glovebox" for wallets, keys, sunglasses, etc.

Attachments

• Downloads_00001.jpg
    Downloads_00001.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Downloads_00002.jpg
    Downloads_00002.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 36

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Cool.. you have a chartplotter mounted from the top/elec box. Does not get in your way, does it?

They essentially cut the door off on my boat and punched a whole through the side to feed the power etc for the plotter. I was hoping that I would be able to cut it wider and add a 2nd one just like it, but there is a sorta "double-wall" on each side. That adds strength, I am sure.. sorta like a retaining wall.. heh. If I cut the hole out all the way to the edge of that, I would only have like 19.5" width. If I cut the inside wall out, I could easily fit both 10" screens, but I think I would be just as happy with another one hanging like yours is.....a lot less money and no need to cut.

R

Attachments

• IMG_1569.jpg
    IMG_1569.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 25

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hey @ocnslr I am not sure if you have ever looked, or maybe one of you other guys...I marked up the picture of my dash.

Anyone ever looked at the "inner workings" of the dashboard walls?

I was explaining to someone else what I had seen when I removed the dash and looked inside, and he brought up a good point:

If all I need to do is cut about 1.5" inwards along the inside wall, that really would not be a huge impact.

The dash picture below shows what I am looking at. I know it will/should fit a 10" and a 8"....might be a little tight with a dual 10" though as it would need, guess right now, 22.5"...not sure I can squeeze that much out...but, heck, a 7608 next to a 7610 would be better than having to look up a lot at the 7608, right? :p

Oh, also... I think I might also be perfectly okay if I sold the 7610 and got dual 7608's.. I mean.. if they fit there easier.. not sure the difference would matter to me :p

I know.. blasphemy, right? heh

R

Attachments

• IMG_1569measures.jpg
    IMG_1569measures.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 14

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I was able to squeeze a Garmin 4210 into my 268 dash panel without impairing my vision. I use a second unit up top - Garmin 3208. This is starboard. If you really want the "look" you could go full custom with a fiberglass job and re-work gauges and all.
IMG_0567.jpg