GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Very tru! And as with any therapy, sometimes it is painful lol

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don’t know how old your boat is, but if you have 2 strokes bring extra oil, and try to check oil consumption vs gas consumption after your trip. Hopefully you have checked or replaced your thru hulls, if you can see any that are below the waterline from inside the boat, take a look to see if they, or their hoses, are leaking.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Every time I use a tool on my boat, I buy a duplicate that stays on the boat. Don't forget a big flathead screwdriver with vice grips so you can manually trim down the motors when trim hydros fail...

Buy new fire extinguishers. I tried to use one off my boat to put out a brake fire. The gage read green, but nothing came out. They say all the pounding compacts the powder; I'm a believer now, will be stowing mine flat from now on and rotating.

Check the dates on your smokes and flares.

Take 2 5 gallon buckets. Before leaving the dock, test your front and rear bilge pump auto operation by dumping 10 gallons of (preferably fresh) water in the access hatches. I do this yearly so I can see how and when they come on. I do it in the water, not on the trailer because the boat is bow up on the trailer.

Check every switch while running, lights, pumps, everything. You may discover loose connections/grounds, etc.

Take video, then watch it later. You might notice things/sounds you missed 1st time.

I think the others have, or will cover most everything else.

Rule #1, Enjoy, it seems you have worked hard to get to this point!

Reactions: dstarok