Our new Tourney 225 - a few pics

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I finaly got to see our new Tournament 225 with a camera in hand... I am going to try to post some pictures for all of those folks who, like me, are shopping for a similar boat and can't get enough info from the Grady website...

Here goes... if the first photo works I will try some others.

thumb.asp

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
viewfromstern.jpg

viewtobow.jpg

viewaft.jpg

lookingaft.jpg

Helmstation.jpg

FishLocker.jpg

headcompartment.jpg

livewell.jpg

porttrimtab.jpg

sideofhelmcompartment.jpg

That's all I have for now. When the electronics are installed I will do some more. The boat is in a nice warm garage at the dealers, so I don't get to go play with it that often until we take delivery in the spring. I constantly found myself searching for more detailed photos and info while we were shopping, so I thought somebody out there might want to see this stuff.

BTW - Check out the blue Tournament in the background - it is a new 205 that the dealer actually awl-gripped to see what it would look like. I have to say it is gorgeous... Adds a few bills to the price tag though!

Cheers!

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What's in a name?

Question for everyone - a sort of poll question. My wife wants to name the boat "White Horses." Its an old timers expression for white caps at the crest of waves when it is windy and they blow like a horses mane.

Any opinions on this concept out there?

We're having fun considering ideas...

GWcpa

Reaction score
Very nice. Have you verified the bottom paint on the bracket is not the same copper based paint as the hull ? I am guessing it is not, just a suggestion to verify that it is tri lux or the like so you do not worry about the bracket.

Also a little surprised the motor does not clear the water based on the paint on the torpedo.. My 205 had the same area painted, but the motor does not touch the water when trimmed up.

That blue 205 looks great. Reminds me of a classic 20 Bertram with that color.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Great choice on the boat it looks fantastic, congratulations. Welcome to the, "is spring ever going to get here club".

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Slingshot,
I'm green with envy. The pictures are a big help and thanks for posting them. Being knee deep in the buying process right now for that boat it's great to see your pics. Congratulations and tell your wife I think White Horses is a great name for the boat!

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Alright... we have one vote for White Horses - thanks Captain Chris!

Transom Bracket - I have been following all of the posts on this site, and I notified my dealer of the concerns about it. The dealer responded that they are aware and would explain to me how they deal with that when I came to see the boat.

Sadly when I went to see the boat the service guy who was going to explain this wasn't there and the sales guy (who I must say has been great) knew that they did something about this issue, but wasn't sure of the details... :roll:

I am optomistically assuming they did the right thing. I will post a full report as soon as I get a solid conversation with the sevice guy who presumably deals with this issue.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the, "is spring ever going to get here club".

No Doubt Tashmoo! Oddly, I have always been a member of this club even with our old boat just wrapped up in the driveway... I gues now I have elected myself to some kind of executive position in the club! I have seen your new boat - you must be our president! 8)

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GWcpa - I am hoping the motor is clear of the water when trimmed as you describe your 205. The sales guy at the dealer indicated it would probably be wet, but maybe he was just covering his bases.

As we get more knowledge about this crazy thing we've bought into, I will follow with postings.

The blue 205 is so cool. I sort of wish Grady offered a few classic colors.

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Slingshot. Thanks for the pics. My son and I went over to the dealer yesterday and bought a 225 and it was indoors just like your pics. I am glad you took pics--I didn't and it gives me something to look forward to.

We almost bit on the 275. I am 6'4" and my son is 6'7" but we felt like there was plenty of room on the 225.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I hear you. The 275 is compelling. We have a not-so-deep mooring field and I wanted to stay at 24 feet or less. I set out looking for a center console, but my wife really dialed into the layout on the 225 when she saw it at the boat shows. After alot of thought, I came around to thinking she was right.

I am only 5' 11" but we have 3 kids who are going to be 2,4 and 6 this summer. We wanted to be able to take another couple out with another kid or 2. This oughta work...

Where did you buy yours? Congrats! I hope you love it!

GWcpa

Reaction score
Viperdrum, there may be plenty of room for you, but you and your son are not going to be utilizing the head on a 225. :D

Some nice pics on boattrader of 225s for sale now. One with bottom paint in the water to show the scupper level (1/2 in) and another with a garmin 2006 and VHF flush mounted on a panel behind the plex cover. May give you guys some ideas.

Interesting how much activity this model has now in a relatively slow market. I started looking for one last year and ended up with a 205. Got me thinking about the 225 again, but it may not fit in my carport at the river. The windshield may make it, but I would have a lot of bow out with the bracket and engine way back there.

Really makes my life easy to wash the boat down, cover it up back it in.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As an architect, I have to recommend a bigger carport! :D

Thanks for the boat trader tip - I have been checking out their photos...

I am hopeful that the scuppers are at least MOSTLY out of the water.

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GWcpa said:
Viperdrum, there may be plenty of room for you, but you and your son are not going to be utilizing the head on a 225. :D

It would have been a stretch on the 275 , too. I may use the same head I have used on all other boats. :D

striped bass

Reaction score
Slingshot:
Congrats! A lovely vessel to be sure. The Gill bracket must be treated separately with a product like Trilux Prop & Drive paint by Interlux with a boarder extended onto the hull to fend off the effects of the copper based anti-fouling paint. The bracket will be subjected to galvanic action if the hull copper based paint reaches it. I went to the Boat and Fishing Show yesterday and the GW staff also confirmed these separate processes for the hull and Gill bracket.
White Horses is terrific. The plume off the waves is also called spin drift.
PS: Your first post pic did not come through; all the others did fine. Can you try again? Thanks.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Charles - The first picture didn't post but I tried it again differently and it is currently one of the visible ones.

I have read all of the bracket bottom paint posts on this site (which are REALLY helpful.) I feel pretty confident about how it should be. I still have to learn if that's how they did it. They are a very reputable dealer for many years. I am hopeful that they are on top of this issue as high performing GW dealers...

That's 2 votes for White Horses! Thx... You know, we talked about spindrift also, but we liked the tie-in of the word white to the Grady. My wife is also a horse nut...

packman

Reaction score
Ski Pylon ???

Is that the ski pylon bracket on the transom? If so, was the boat order like that or was it put on at a later date. I am looking for an older tourney 225 (04-07) and was wondering what it would look like if added at a later date. By the way the boat is gorgeous.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You are correct Packman - that is the ski pylon bracket (from the factory) visible on the transom. One of the reasons we talked ourselves into this boat was the concept that the pylon was out on the swim platform instead of in the boat with us.

I would imagine that it would look the same way if added at a later date. Maybe there are some folks on this site who would know for sure. That part of the transom is pretty easy to get behind for blocking, bolting, etc because of the access panels for the batteries, pumps, etc.

Where are you doing your boating? If I find boats while I am surfing around i will let you know...

packman

Reaction score
Ski Pylon ???

Thanks.....if you run across anything...I would appreciate it...I am in NC....about 70 miles from the Grady plant in Greenville,NC...

if anyone has any information (or pic's) of a ski pylon that was added on the tourney 225 and not factory ordered i would appreciate. I think it would look just like the factory ordered fit but not sure.