Our new Tourney 225 - a few pics

mistymorn

Reaction score
looks great...takes me back a couple of years ago when mine was inside awaiting spring delivery....incidentally, I have the same set up and the motor does not clear the water...about an inch plus stays in...so it is painted as well. As for the bracket, I am sure your dealer is well aware that the bracket uses a different pain...don't worry....you've got a GREAT GRADY!!!

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Misty Morn - that is helpful info. Where are your scuppers in relation to the water line?

Please share any other observations about your boat! What do you like the most? What do you like the least?

I sure appreciate it.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since we made the formal decision today - I changed the Slingshot name to White Horses. (Slingshot was my second choice for a boat name... first was WINGNUT.) Wife won out (again)... The boat will be White Horses.

Does anybody know how to get a photo on your signature? i can't seem to get that to work...

fishgo208

Reaction score
She is a beauty! You will love the duel console walk through design. Very versitile. "White Horses" ya thats the ticket. Be safe, enjoy.

mistymorn

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with water in the boat, however my scuppers are about 1/3 under water which has cause the chrome to discolor.

My boat is so great...I would tell you that is has been by far my best boat ever! I have owned many larger boats from sport fish to express models and a few outboard runabouts as well. This boar is comfortable...safe and fun and serves lots of purposes. My wife loves it as well. We cruise mostly, will do some fishing and crabbing as well due to the fact that I will have more time. We love taking our grand-daughter out and just being able to relax with this boat...Living on the Chesapeake Bay and having our 225 Tourney at our dock, truly makes it the "land of pleasant living"

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishgo 208 - thanks! So far nobody has said the name sucks... maybe everyone on this site is just really polite! :D

MistyMorn - It sounds like you've got it made... I bet this is a great boat for the Chesapeake bay... We are in Norwalk harbor and the Long Island Sound is our cruising zone. The whole family is looking forward to the island exploration tours... Thanks for the good news!

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OK - I have afew new pictures. The canvas guy has finished the mooring cover. It looks loose on the side because it is not buttoned in place. (I didn't take the pic.s.)

Since we are on a mooring, we wanted the UV and Bird doo-doo protection of a cover all the way back to the transom. One nice thing about the full width swim platform - you have a place to be while you unbotton the canvas!

Here goes...

MooringCoverfromAft.jpg

MooringCoverfromside.jpg

GWcpa

Reaction score
Very nice canvas. Can you use the mooring cover with the biminu up or do you plan to stow the bimini and use the boot after each use ?

If you do that is not a lot of work and will save the bimini.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks - I am planning to leave the bimini in the boot most all the time. If we need some shade while we are out, I will "deploy." Otherwise it stays in the boot. As far as I can tell, Seagull doesn't lookm so good on navy blue.

For the record, I wish Grady offered a Khaki colored canvas option.

mistymorn

Reaction score
Mike...That cover looks great! I have a similar set up you may want to think about. I have 2 short poles (adustable with thumb screw) with a snap on the end (just like your bow cover.) That has worked great for me as no water collects anywhere on by tonneau cover. I hardly ever use the back drop or the side curtains as they are a pain. Just a thought.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Misty Morn - Are you talking about a vertical support inside the cover? If thats what you mean, I definitely agree its a good idea. This cover has one, but I am not sure you can see it in the photo...

mistymorn

Reaction score
Mike....sorry I am so late in getting back to you (I've been away)...My cover has three verticle poles..all have snaps on the end so as there are no holes in the cover for any water intrusion. one long pole is located just aft of the driver's seat in the middle and there are two poles one on either side of the centerline of the boat. I also have it rigged so as the bimini top can be left up when the cover is on...it has worked very well for me...really keeps the boat dry and clean and it is easy to put on. Hope this will help. :D

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Misty Morn - sounds like a sweet rig! I had to stop by the boat store today to play with chartplotters. I am ready for spring in the wors way...

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Mike,
Be sure to check out the Lowrance LCX 38C HD. The hard drive has all the maps loaded into it and for the money I think it's a great unit. I'm going with it as a combo unit w/ the 200kHz transducer and it will fit in the electronics box on our Tournaments. Emarine supplies has the unit for $1549.99 w/the 200kHz transducer. They also have great prices on VHFs and antennas.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey Cap'n Chris - I think you must have recommended that I look at that unit before, because I did go check it out - nice! I ended up going with the Garmin 4210 which definitely cost me a little more, as I had to buy the garmin sounder and transducer as seperate items. I really liked the way it operates and the larger screen.

While I am happy about the Garmin unit - I haven't used it in the boat yet, so i will give a full report later in the spring. My last combo unit was a color Lowrance 5" screen and i liked it alot. My guess is that the LCX38C HD is a better value than the Garmin I bought, but I figured this was my only chance to "go for it" so I went to the bigger screen size... :roll:

We will have to compare notes after a month or two on the water!

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Mike,
That Garmin unit really looked nice, but I backed off when I saw the price and the fact I had to buy the sounder unit separately. It's a shame that Garmin's combo units all have such small screens but I guess that's how they get us to shell out the big $ for the bigger screen. Will the Garmin fit into the electronics box? I can get both the Lowrance and the ICOM 504 VHF into the box which I like. My biggest problem is that I won't get to see any of this until I go to pick up the boat, so I really hope they rig it right. I understand that the GPS can be interfaced with the Yamaha Command Link. Have you heard anything about that?

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am embarrased to say that I actually tried to buy the 12" screen - but that one does not fit in the electronics box. The 10 fits comfortably, but the vhf has to be flush mounted below the throttle. I used blue tape to mark its location on the boat and I think it will be fine there. Its a submersible Icom.

I did not know that the GPS can talk to the command link. ...very interesting. I do know it talks to the VHF so that if you hit the "mayday" buttom, it will digitally send your coordinates to the coast guard (when they get their system fully operational on their end...)
One hopes not to need this feature, right?

Sounds like what you are doing makes sense and is going to work well for you. I know I went a little overboard... (don't tell my wife! :shock: )

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capt. Chris - I just went back to check the photos on page one, and you can see the blue tape where the vhf will be mounted - probably better in the box like you are doing, but I think it will be ok.