Outboard motor fllush bag

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I was looking for a better way to run my outboard on the trailer, the flushing ears never really worked for my motor. I found this outboard flush bag online, and so far so good. It does leak a little at the seams and that is expected. Overall I am very happy.

Attachments

• outbourd bag.JPG
    outbourd bag.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 32

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I was looking for a better way to run my outboard on the trailer, the flushing ears never really worked for my motor. I found this outboard flush bag online, and so far so good. It does leak a little at the seams and that is expected. Overall I am very happy.
I have one of these as well, for about 6 months. Seems to work well, it fits my Yamaha 200hp. I have twins and flush one at a time. Although it was a bit pricey, the only other option I consedered was a 150 gallon plastic rubbermaid tub (like from Tractor Supply). I was going to the 150gal since I can flush both motors at the same time. It would have worked very well, but I like that the bag takes up a lot less space than the tub.

Reactions: Sdfish

Fishtales

Reaction score
Nice idea - thanks for sharing.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't have a bag, but I do like them.

But... why doesn't the flushing muff work on your engine? There should be nothing special about your engine where the muffs wouldn't work.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265

But... why doesn't the flushing muff work on your engine? There should be nothing special about your engine where the muffs wouldn't work.
Lots of variables...water pressure, length of hose, seal of muffs....sometimes it just won't prime the pump with muffs. My OX66s never worked on muffs. needed a Yamaha Hot Tub.
Even other motors sometimes need help by taping over some of the drain holes in the LU.
Occasionally my new Zukes just won't pump right on muffs and you can see the temp climb past the normal even though there is some flow out the pisser. I recently started use a Y hose with one to the muff and one to the Flush port(water flows down to pump to help prime). Once the motor starts pumping good, I shut off the flush port and run only on muff.

I had a thought to make a replacement for the inlet screen that adds a hose couple to one side and a blocked other side....no leakage around the rubber muff
idk...I guess under that pressure you would not know if the pump is actually working...
They never want you running on the flush port, probably for same reason.

Reactions: Sdfish

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I made one for my previous boat, out of that material that they use to waterproof shower floors. Triangular to use less water, 18" across the back, 24" back to front, 30" tall. Taped and bound seams. Pics are from the first trial, I ended up popping the cowl, and connecting 3 or 4 one foot bungees from the grommets and hooked over the lower cowl on each side.
A V6 two-stroke makes a hell of a racket on muffs, and you and your neighbors will appreciate the muffling effect of running it in a bag.
F5B330CF-D2B1-4C1F-A372-E276EF3A5014.jpeg30F16516-C23E-4B96-BE0D-2540A0DFBA17.jpegFDDB6799-1134-4704-B4D1-CED56F918A14.jpeg

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Lots of variables...water pressure, length of hose, seal of muffs....sometimes it just won't prime the pump with muffs. My OX66s never worked on muffs. needed a Yamaha Hot Tub.
Even other motors sometimes need help by taping over some of the drain holes in the LU.
Occasionally my new Zukes just won't pump right on muffs and you can see the temp climb past the normal even though there is some flow out the pisser. I recently started use a Y hose with one to the muff and one to the Flush port(water flows down to pump to help prime). Once the motor starts pumping good, I shut off the flush port and run only on muff.

I had a thought to make a replacement for the inlet screen that adds a hose couple to one side and a blocked other side....no leakage around the rubber muff
idk...I guess under that pressure you would not know if the pump is actually working...
They never want you running on the flush port, probably for same reason.
Hmmm. You're right, that is interesting. In stark contrast to your experience, my OX66 (250HP - but I think it's the same engine) has never had an issue on a muff - and that's at my home, business and at the cottage in Maine. I know I have pretty good water flow (GPM) at each of those places. Maybe that's the difference. That may be why, even though I run A-L-O-T of engines on a muff (at work), I've never had a problem, either... good GPM out of the hose.

It's funny you mention the "leakage". In line with your thinking... at work, that's one of the ways we've found to do a "quick check" on whether or not the impeller is good. If, after starting up, there's still a bunch of leakage then that means the pump is probably on it's last legs. So, actually, I LIKE seeing that leakage... to start with! :)

I do like the bag setup! Cool way to make your own, Glacier! I have a plastic 55 gallon drum that I sometimes use up at the cottage... it DEFINITELY cuts down on the noise!!!

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure

For all the reasons Skunk mentioned. My old Johnson motor never had any issues, but this 150 yamaha does not pull enough water in to prime the pump, even when i use a higher pressure hose on it.
Jury is still out on how long this will last, my buddy has been using one for 6 years though and is happy with it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
For all the reasons Skunk mentioned. My old Johnson motor never had any issues, but this 150 yamaha does not pull enough water in to prime the pump, even when i use a higher pressure hose on it.
Jury is still out on how long this will last, my buddy has been using one for 6 years though and is happy with it.
Hmmm. I'm betting there's something else going on - maybe the impeller is weak... maybe the housing is scored... maybe there's an issue with the muffs? My mother has a 150 and it works just fine. I guess if you think about it, there really shouldn't be any difference in the impeller (for the most part) from one engine to another. That part is pretty standard.

That would bug me until I figured out (fixed?) the root cause :)

But hey, it is what is! And, in the end, you built a better mousetrap :) :)

EDIT: Just wanted to add... sometimes when we're using a big jug of AF to winterize a sterndrive, if we open the valve to let the AF flow BEFORE we start the engine, we get an air lock and the AF doesn't get sucked up. But if start the engine and then immediately open the valve, it works everytime. Maybe there's an issue with the muffs?

Last edited:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Concerning the issue of not getting water flow on the muffs, I have found that if you just remove the plastic screen on the intake (just one screw), the water will get to the impeller much better. Since doing that, I have had no problem with water flow.

glacierbaze, Like Dennis, I think your flush bag is great and uses a smaller amount of water and muffles the sound.

If you start making them to sell, put me on the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: glacierbaze

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hmmm. I'm betting there's something else going on - maybe the impeller is weak... maybe the housing is scored... maybe there's an issue with the muffs? My mother has a 150 and it works just fine. I guess if you think about it, there really shouldn't be any difference in the impeller (for the most part) from one engine to another. That part is pretty standard.

That would bug me until I figured out (fixed?) the root cause :)

But hey, it is what is! And, in the end, you built a better mousetrap :) :)

EDIT: Just wanted to add... sometimes when we're using a big jug of AF to winterize a sterndrive, if we open the valve to let the AF flow BEFORE we start the engine, we get an air lock and the AF doesn't get sucked up. But if start the engine and then immediately open the valve, it works everytime. Maybe there's an issue with the muffs?
Hi Dennis - I just got a new impeller installed. The old one was a little burnt, that is what led me to just get this bag. Motor and I are happier.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hi Dennis - I just got a new impeller installed. The old one was a little burnt, that is what led me to just get this bag. Motor and I are happier.
Gotcha. It's possible the housing is scored (it only takes a very small score to cause issues). Since it seems to be happy - and especially if it's happy out on the water, I wouldn't worry about it (although it would still "bug" me as to why :) )

But your last sentence is the most important one!

Let us know if you want to make a few more of those bags!

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Gotcha. It's possible the housing is scored (it only takes a very small score to cause issues). Since it seems to be happy - and especially if it's happy out on the water, I wouldn't worry about it (although it would still "bug" me as to why :) )

But your last sentence is the most important one!

Let us know if you want to make a few more of those bags!
Ha - I did not make that bag! I wish I could. Purchased on line.