OX66 Oil drip/ leak

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So I have been noticing a blueish/ Green drip on my bracket rather frequently but not always. After reading up on THT, I went ahead and put a zip tie at the top of the oil reserve/ reservoir in the engine. The mechanic did the same when fixing my alarm as he noticed the oil, but I did a 2nd one to address the small gaps where they were tied together.

I still noticed a slight drip on the bracket but not sure if it’s from me cleaning and the water running off or if it’s still leaking from somewhere.

As I am new to this, I was not sure what this is that I circled Curious what it’s purpose is as I think oil is leaking slightly from the top of it so I put another small zip tie.

If I keep seeing the drip on my bracket, what else should I look for?

Also, the pic is from before any zip ties were secured to the oil reservoir. Typically, I only see the leak when the engine is raised.

Attachments

• F7713095-EC3E-41B6-B603-BF2B0CC6BE59.jpeg
    F7713095-EC3E-41B6-B603-BF2B0CC6BE59.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • AE948C20-C362-4F12-BB74-B9ADB61AA40E.jpeg
    AE948C20-C362-4F12-BB74-B9ADB61AA40E.jpeg
    531.2 KB · Views: 21

seasick

Reaction score
When the tank leaks fron the top sender, it usually does so when the motor is tilted up. Oil runs down into the cowling and pools. When you lower the motor it runs down and out the bottom of the lower cowling. The fix is cleaning, reseating and possible tie wrapping the sensor cap. You may not be able to stop the leak unless you swap the sensor a pretty expensive part.
Of course the sensor could be bad and not telling the ECU that the tank is full. In that case oil will overflow with the motor in down position and that should be easy to see. Just wipe down the tank and run the motor at idle for a while. Look for oil leaking out.
The part circled in your photo could also leak. Same process, wipe clean and check for leaks. That point may leak just sitting without the motor running.
For the leaky cap test, again clean the tank, run the motor, shut off and tilt the motor up. Wait overnight and in the morning look for oil streaks around the sensor cap and on the sides of the tank.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That is a tube to gather water drops, dirt etc. tube could be dried up and won’t seal or cap has a crack in the rubber n tie strap won’t close the crack enough. There is also a fill tube behind the tank that could leak at the fitting. If you clean the tank with brake cleaner, it will dry the areas enough so you can see where it is leaking by checking for a wet oil spot after trim of 15 min to an hour.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks...

I will clean it again and try to clean the entire bottom of the cowling. I had taken it off yesterday and let it sit tilted for a few hrs and saw nothing after I put another zip tie on the cap. When I came back the next day, I saw a few drops which made me put the zip ties on the bottom part also.

It’s very odd as the tank looks really clean so I can’t see where it’s coming from. However, I did not know that there is another entry point behind the tank so I will check that out next time I am by the boat.

I kept seeing the ECU coming up in posts. Hopefully that’s not my issue.

Also, on the cap there is a triangle pointing downwards and another triangle on the tank pointing upwards. Is that where you should line it up to take off or how they should be lined up when secured?

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just looked at the pics. Your motor does not have the rear tube. The 2.6l has the tube in the rear. Yours is a 3.1l. Different tank.spray the tank n fittings with brake cleaner to dry it well n you should be able to pinpoint the leak.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
one of my ox66s had the drip... after multiple tries with zip ties we had to shave a little bit of the plastic where the two halves of the tank are seamed together. we were able to stop the drip

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
one of my ox66s had the drip... after multiple tries with zip ties we had to shave a little bit of the plastic where the two halves of the tank are seamed together. we were able to stop the drip

Hoping it’s solved but if not. Where exactly are you referring to? Any idea why that solved it?

seasick

Reaction score
The chance of the ECU being the problem, is extremely low so don't worry. I think the post about scraping the seam was the lip that the sender cap presses onto. Apparently there was some extra plastic where the two halves of the tank were joined together at that lip area and apparently that kept the sensor cap from sealing tightly. At least that is how I interpreted the post.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Hoping it’s solved but if not. Where exactly are you referring to? Any idea why that solved it?
at the opening of the tank. The tank is two pieces molded together and there is a seam. The small line was enough to prevent the cap from sealing

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So far, looks like the oil leak might have been solved using the zip ties. I saw a few diluted drops on the bracket after a week, but I think that was due to dried oil on the bottom of the cowel getting wet and dripping out.

I’ll attach some more pics as I am curious what the oil hose going to the oil tank should be secured to. There were two hoses on the bottom that were unsecured, both had plastic pieces connected to the wire but I don’t see anywhere they attach to so the hoses aren’t loose.

Not sure if there is a reason that someone left unsecured but I’ll share pics for input.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Following up to this, I am still seeing a slight leak on my bracket. Is this oil or something else?

I am clueless as to what is leaking because the reserve and all hoses leaving and going to it are clean.

What are thoughts? Is this oil? Where could it be leaking from?

Attachments

• 87210C5C-071E-4AD7-9F18-DC8B37B9DACE.jpeg
    87210C5C-071E-4AD7-9F18-DC8B37B9DACE.jpeg
    564.6 KB · Views: 0

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When you rub it between your fingers does it feel oily? How about smell? Also do you spray you motor down with any type of corrosion inhibitor like t9 or something similar? I use t9 and spray it down after a a good weekend trip and I see small puddles on my bracket .this is what I get from the t9 boeshield image.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bloodweiser-that’s hydraulic fluid. Your seals on the SeaStar Ram are looking and need to be changed out.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
oh I just bled the steering. I think I didn't wipe cleanly the area.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When you rub it between your fingers does it feel oily? How about smell? Also do you spray you motor down with any type of corrosion inhibitor like t9 or something similar? I use t9 and spray it down after a a good weekend trip and I see small puddles on my bracket .this is what I get from the t9 boeshield View attachment 15504

Yes, feels and smells like oil but is a little diluted. I don’t use any corrosion inhibitor after I run the boat but do flush it through the port and wash it down. I don’t see the oil during the day, mostly overnight it happens with the change of temp.

Driving me crazy as everything feels dry. I don’t know if it’s left over oil spillage from before I zip tied everything as I haven’t cleaned the bottom part of the cowel in the middle.

One interesting note is that when I put the engine in, there was a little oil around it as it lowered into the water.

Also I tilt the engine to the left when up. Not sure if I should be letting it sit straight up or to the right.

seasick

Reaction score
As long as nothing is in the way, the motors can be tilted to a side or left straight or anywhere in between. If you partially tilt to one side and the next time you check, the motor is all the way to one side, it means you either have air in the system, a leak in the plumbing or a leaky check valve in the helm steering pump.
In your case, clean up the oil and check again after leaving the motors straight to a tad tilted. If you see oil again th the motor well, you have a leak.
Don't forget to check the bleeder valves too. They might not be closing 100%.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Following up to this, I am still seeing a slight leak on my bracket. Is this oil or something else?

I am clueless as to what is leaking because the reserve and all hoses leaving and going to it are clean.

What are thoughts? Is this oil? Where could it be leaking from?
two cycle oil dripping out of the cowling when the motor is up

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the feedback. Cleaned underneath everything so I can see where the oil is leaking from. It was really dirty in the middle so curious if that’s where it’s leaking from but it could have been 20 years of grime building up there.

I’ll be back to the boat on Wednesday so will see then where it’s coming from.

Greatty

Reaction score
I've been dealing with this drip from my '99 SWS OX66 150 for over 10 years. Small leak coming from the oil tank on the engine that builds up over the course of the season bottom of the engine pan and finds its way out when engine is tilted. Nothing significant in my case, no major loss of fluid, just gotta clean up the drips now and then. Good argument for a four stroke I guess!