Patching a hole in console top, proper procedure?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You should watch the video. It explains the theory of matching to fool the eye. The trick is to sand a tapered area at least three times the width of the patch and gel coat the larger area.The outer 'ring' of the area still has the old gelcoat covered by the new color matched gelcoat.As you sand, you sand more and more of the new gelcoat thus exposing the old gelcoat underneath. This makes the transition in color very less and less as you sand away the new gelcoat. The final steps are fine sanding and polishing. I probably did a poor job of explain the technique. The video does a much better job
the point is "It is not worth the trouble "

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
OK, maybe just go with the Starboard sheet on top.

As far as the in dash compass, yes it's able to compensate. I have thought about it being in the instrument cluster and also what the effect being between 2 chartplotters would have. I'll have to try out the 2 different locations before I start the work.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
OK, maybe just go with the Starboard sheet on top.

As far as the in dash compass, yes it's able to compensate. I have thought about it being in the instrument cluster and also what the effect being between 2 chartplotters would have. I'll have to try out the 2 different locations before I start the work.
Maybe just forget the compass? You have 2 MFDs that can show you where you are going better than a compass. You have a phone that can act as a compass.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I thought about that but figured I'd get my head bit off, because you won't need a compass until you need it.

However, I'm exclusively in LI Sound, never out of sight of land and sometimes use the compass get a bearing on something.

Since that gauge in the dash is usless, I'll put the compass in there and deal with any deviation.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I thought about that but figured I'd get my head bit off, because you won't need a compass until you need it.

However, I'm exclusively in LI Sound, never out of sight of land and sometimes use the compass get a bearing on something.

Since that gauge in the dash is usless, I'll put the compass in there and deal with any deviation.
Like I said, you have one in your phone. Doesn't need a connection.
A compass that doesn't point the right direction isn't any better than looking at the sun or lights on the horizon.
Money better spent on a GPS with Heading sensor.. then you see where you are pointed on your MFD even if you aren't moving.
Your 943s have a perspective mode that works great as a heading line to your waypoint. if it points straight ahead, you are going the right direction.
I'm just saying, embrace your new stuff. I haven't looked at my compass since I put my 1242 in my dash.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Rob, you may also want to look at black acrylic as an option. You could also make for where your gauges are located and update the entire dash. I know, bigger project..but if you have the jigsaw out....