Patching a hole in console top, proper procedure?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I'm removing the compass from the top of my 180's console and want to fill in the hole properly. What's the correct materials and procedure?
It looks like it's 5/8" plywood under the gelcoat, sort of like this pic I lifted from another thread....

IMG_0846 2.jpg

I assume I'll screw some temporary backing from underneath. Do I glass in a piece of wood to plug the hole? What type glass and cloth do I use?

thanks,

Rob

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You should glass in a piece of plywood. Back it with something to hold in place. Grind out a tapered edge around the compass. One or two layers of glass cloth over the taper. Gelcoat over the repair and sand smooth. It takes a lot of elbow grease to get this optically "flat". Probably a few coats of gel coat. You also have to color match it. I would recommend you have a glass guy do the work if this is new to you. Biggest problem will be finding someone to do a small job.

It's a lot of work to close that up. Are you really sure you don't want a new compass and leave it alone?

Reactions: Grey56

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I'm taking it out to fit another chartplotter up top. I have the gelcoat and stuff so shouldn't be that bad.
What do I put in the backed up hole under the wood plug? Can I use some Thixo and push the plug down into it then glass on top?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm taking it out to fit another chartplotter up top. I have the gelcoat and stuff so shouldn't be that bad.
What do I put in the backed up hole under the wood plug? Can I use some Thixo and push the plug down into it then glass on top?
Chartplotters are not that deep. You may have enough clearance.

Hold the wood plug in with duct tape and epoxy the plug in.

seasick

Reaction score
I second the referral to the Boatworks Today utube channel.
If you want the patched surface to be level with the existing surface, the job is a bit more complex than you might think. Watch the videos.

cosmic

Reaction score
Your idea to use Thixo to secure a plug then glass on top will be fine. However, TotalBoat also makes this stuff called Polyester Structural Repair Putty. It's polyester resin and glass fibers in one. Perfect for easily filling holes like that and an ideal base for gelcoat. A quart will be more than enough to fill a hole like that, and will cost little more than the tube of Thixo alone. Save multiple steps of epoxy, wood plug, glass mat, etc.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Thanks, already have the Thixo.

I did try to find something on the Boatworks channel but didn't find this type repair. Will look again.

It's not depth but room side by side for the two potters. There will be 2 Garmin 943's, side by side. Compass will be removed and replaced with an in-dash where the old, non functional, speedometer is now.

I'm more of a form follows function guy so if the gel coat isn't a perfect match, I'm OK with that. I toyed with the idea of putting a piece of mahogany on top of the console to mount them on and cover the existing hole.

00o0o_dQ7ZtwaVlt2_1200x900.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This is a much bigger job than you're anticipating to make it look right. Ideally, you should chamfer the bottom side and top side - essentially ends up looking like an hour glass. Then you start your layers. But it will be "OK" by just putting a plug in. However, if looks aren't important, then there's multiple ways to do it. Cover the bottom - tape/temporary scrap of something/whatever - there's no one best way. Whatever you have laying around will be fine. Then you epoxy your plug/glass in place and finish up with gelcoat.

But... if you're not going to put the effort into making this look right (again, this will take A LOT of time)... then I would suggest a cover plate over the entire top dash area. A glass/gelcoat job that is only done to 90% will look much worse than a simple cover plate over the dash. I piece of 1/4" or 3/8" HDPE (in black), shaped nicely, will look very good and take a fraction of the time to complete.

Cosmic... don't you think if he filled that entire hole with poly that it would get AWFUL hot as it cures? That's a big hole - even with some kitty hair mixed in, I'd still question whether or not it wouldn't crack without extra reinforcement.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree on not filling with putty. I will see if I can find the video. I know it is there somewhere.
Regarding putting the compass in the instrument cluster, I suggest you test out that idea somehow. If the compass is near stray magnetic fields it will not read correctly or read at all depending on the field strength. Putting it in an area full of electromechanical and electronic parts may be asking for trouble.

seasick

Reaction score
Here is one of the repair videos. Note that the repair does not use a plug, just fiberglass. The key to a good process is layering and tapering.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Compass in dash... adding to what Seasick said... be sure to turn the wheel back and forth while observing the compass. Depending on how close to the wheel it is, the turning of the wheel can change the heading... even in your driveway!

This dash compass... can you compensate it so it reads correctly at your latitude? You might just be better off to get a nice handheld compass.

grunt

Reaction score
I am currently restoring an Tracker Targa 165wt aluminum boat
Repaired the fiberglass consoles filling in the cracks and the holes for the fishfinder and steering column
Used West system epoxy, fiberglass and plywood plugs
Sanded and ready for paint now

Attachments

• IMG_2023-01-16_10-15-20.jpeg
    IMG_2023-01-16_10-15-20.jpeg
    885.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2023-01-16_10-15-31.jpeg
    IMG_2023-01-16_10-15-31.jpeg
    844.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2023-01-16_10-19-38.jpeg
    IMG_2023-01-16_10-19-38.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: Grey56

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thanks, already have the Thixo.

I did try to find something on the Boatworks channel but didn't find this type repair. Will look again.

It's not depth but room side by side for the two potters. There will be 2 Garmin 943's, side by side. Compass will be removed and replaced with an in-dash where the old, non functional, speedometer is now.

I'm more of a form follows function guy so if the gel coat isn't a perfect match, I'm OK with that. I toyed with the idea of putting a piece of mahogany on top of the console to mount them on and cover the existing hole.

View attachment 28477
After a patch you have to paint or gelcoat. How far are you going with that? It will never blend or match.
Pick your battles...
Cover it with Starboard or teak and move on.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
what skunk says for sure. my local home depot sells a 24x48 in piece of starboard for 97$. i am currently half way through my second sheet on my old boat. lots of things to cover up!

seasick

Reaction score
After a patch you have to paint or gelcoat. How far are you going with that? It will never blend or match.
Pick your battles...
Cover it with Starboard or teak and move on.
BoatworksToday also has a video on blending and matching gelcoat. In theory it is simple, in reality it can be a challenge. For me, it is impossible since I am color 'deaf'

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
BoatworksToday also has a video on blending and matching gelcoat. In theory it is simple, in reality it can be a challenge. For me, it is impossible since I am color 'deaf'
Matching a faded old boat isn't possible because even if you get the color perfect, the shine won't match. If you are going to prep and paint/gelcoat the whole console, then at least you don't have to blend to old gelcoat. Depending on the rest of the boat, that could be a worthwhile project.
But if the project is just to mount two new MFDs on the top of the console, then cover the top and be done. If you need something solid to fill the space for mounting, screw a board on the underside, drop a circle of plywood in the top and screw it down. Then cover the whole thing with 1/4" or 1/2" Starboard.

I say this as someone who overdoes projects and has learned (somewhat) to scale back when perfection doesn't really matter.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
But if the project is just to mount two new MFDs on the top of the console, then cover the top and be done. If you need something solid to fill the space for mounting, screw a board on the underside, drop a circle of plywood in the top and screw it down. Then cover the whole thing with 1/4" or 1/2" Starboard.
I say this as someone who overdoes projects and has learned (somewhat) to scale back when perfection doesn't really matter.
I mentioned the same thing above, but just wanted to reiterate it... and also to say that I resemble the last comment and agree! :)

seasick

Reaction score
Matching a faded old boat isn't possible because even if you get the color perfect, the shine won't match. If you are going to prep and paint/gelcoat the whole console, then at least you don't have to blend to old gelcoat. Depending on the rest of the boat, that could be a worthwhile project.

You should watch the video. It explains the theory of matching to fool the eye. The trick is to sand a tapered area at least three times the width of the patch and gel coat the larger area.The outer 'ring' of the area still has the old gelcoat covered by the new color matched gelcoat.As you sand, you sand more and more of the new gelcoat thus exposing the old gelcoat underneath. This makes the transition in color very less and less as you sand away the new gelcoat. The final steps are fine sanding and polishing. I probably did a poor job of explain the technique. The video does a much better job

Reactions: kirk a