polish and wax

seamedic

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm just seeing what everybody uses to keep their Grady sparkling clean. I have head a few things like Collinte Paste fleet wax, The Shurhold system and Heller glanz camauba cream wax. The hull on my boat is in excellent shape, but looking to get a couple dock marks off it and give it a sparkling shine. What do you use? Thanks

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A lot of guys here have their favorites and you may get many answers. Here is mine….

Many years ago, I switched from paste wax to Starbrite Marine polish with PTFE. Works great and easier to work with than wax (in my opinion). Can be applied and removed by hand or machine. Shines beautifully!

For light scuff marks and black streak removal mid-season, Starbrite Cleaner wax with PTFE. A little bit more of a very light compound and a polish all-in-one. Will leave a shine on it’s own but looks even better with a coat of the above polish on top. I usually apply and remove by hand as I only do areas that need it.

For light oxidation, a few years ago I tried Buff Magic. Nice stuff! Use a machine for best results and put a coat of polish on after.

For heavier oxidation, you will need advice from others. Never had to tackle that kind of a job. Stay on top of it and you won’t have to.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep. Starbrite Marine polish with PTFE once per year.

I've used plenty of other stuff over the years, but the Starbrite product is the easiest to apply and works as well or better than conventional waxes. Rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) removes black streaks caused by dock bumpers and I use a little light rubbing compound to clean up areas that get scratched up from interactions with crap trap markers. After 8 years I've never had to do a full compound job on the boat and water still beads up after a year.

I use a gel based toilet bowl cleaner every few years to remove the brown tannin stains that accumulate below the water line. Then 2 applications of Starbrite polish to restore and seal the finish. I only use a single application of Starbrite once a year for the topside.

seamedic

Reaction score
Thanks guys, It sounds like the Starbrite is a little easier to use then the Collinite paste fleetwax. Any thoughts on the Heller's Glanz Camauba Cream Wax or the Shurhold System?

bjflink

Reaction score
For those of you using the starbrite wax/polish products, what boat soap do you use that wont take off the wax? I just did my whole boat this weekend with the starbrite products and it looks amazing!

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was the boat with Zip Wax. Cleans well and does not take the wax job off. Buy it at Wal-Mart, cheap.

jwc1764

Reaction score
Last year I compounded and the waxed my boat using the Shurhold system. They make a complete kit and I can't say enough about the quality of the system and the results I got from it. Took an oxidized gel coat and made it look great after two passes. You can also use their system just for polish/waxing. They use wool bonnets and a real nice random orbital application power tool to apply their waxes/compounds, it's good stuff, def a more Cadillac version though, it's not cheap so I split the cost of the tool with a buddy and we both got all the consumables ourselves.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I use a porter cable orbital polisher, chemical guys pads (different cuts for cleaner and wax), Collinite Cleaner (liquid in the bottle) and Meguiar's Marine Wax. Hull looks great when done.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have been a collinites guy for about 8 years now. I might try the starbrite product. Collinites makes a liquid wax. It is easy to spy but sometimes it's harder to remove. I have used 3Ms Finesse to remove light oxidation. Last year DocStressor told me to use acetone to clean the rub rails and black streaks from dock or other rubber scuff marks. It worked well. Then another suggested Mop N Glo for polishing the rub rail. It worked well lasted maybe a month per application.

Fishtales

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
I have been a collinites guy for about 8 years now. I might try the starbrite product. Collinites makes a liquid wax. It is easy to spy but sometimes it's harder to remove. I have used 3Ms Finesse to remove light oxidation. Last year DocStressor told me to use acetone to clean the rub rails and black streaks from dock or other rubber scuff marks. It worked well. Then another suggested Mop N Glo for polishing the rub rail. It worked well lasted maybe a month per application.

I was too. The paste is good but too much work. Try the Meguairs Marine wax. I think you will like it.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use 3M products, a little pricey but they work for me.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I definitely like the Starbrite Marine Polish....

But I noticed my topside needs something a little stronger. Any recommendations? By the walkaround and the front I have a bit of a grey/ dirty look to it even though it was cleaned/ scrubbed well.

Is the 3M color restorer any good for that?

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used the Shurhold system and it worked fantastic. I did not used their buffer as I already own a makita.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used the Shurhold system and it worked fantastic. I did not used their buffer as I already own a makita.

What products are in the Shurhold System? I’ve taken a look at their site a few times and the system seems to refer to their cleaning accessories or their bucket.

I have the 20v Dewalt Cordless random orbital polisher, so looking just for product recommendations.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What products are in the Shurhold System? I’ve taken a look at their site a few times and the system seems to refer to their cleaning accessories or their bucket.

I have the 20v Dewalt Cordless random orbital polisher, so looking just for product recommendations.
I used the Buff Magic Compound followed by the Pro Polish Wax. I used the Makita 9237 7" polisher with the makita pads for applying the compound and wax. Super easy to use, hard to mess up your gelcoat and a great end result. I used 1 bottle of wax for my 228 and have some compound left over.

seasick

Reaction score
If you need to do semi aggressive compounding, you really need a 7 inch or larger rotary polisher. As important as the machine are the pads. Good pads are expensive but you get what you pay for. Take a look at the Presta line of pads and adapters.
The larger machine pads will also cover more area in a given time. One factor that will make a difference in your experience is weight. Less expensive polishers like those at Harbor Freight will work fine for personal use but they are generally heavier than models from Porta Cable, Dewalt Makita etc. After a while of use, all polishers feel like they are getting heavier:) Avoid cheap pads.

Reactions: PDX-Boats