Possibility of making an "open forum" for non - Grady White topics of conversation?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good evening... is there any possibility of doing what I mentioned in the title by having an "Open Forum" for non - Grady White topics of conversation? I think we can all agree that GW's are awesome, sexy looking boats yet I also think there's more to life than only talking about fishing and boating. It would be nice to have a section of the forum to be able to talk about other topics of discussion like sports, cars, personal health, working out, dieting, movies, music, entertainment and even gatherings or meet-ups that aren't necessarily GW related. Obviously I'm sure there would need to be some rules about only having appropriate conversations that don't involve sensitive things like religion or politics or whatnot but for instance I saw a pretty interesting movie trailer on YouTube that I thought about sharing with others on here but it isn't really related to GW boats. Anyway, just a thought or suggestion of which I know that for me personally living in the PNW and only fishing a few months out of the year, it's kind of a "tease" to talk about boats and watch videos on YouTube during the dead of winter. So, it's always nice to be able to chat and talk about other things as well. Thanks!

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I am sure the Site Ower could easily create a few more categories, but even with the regional Grady forum, I see very few posts in the Texas Grady area for example. Not sure there is enough users (bandwidth) on here to get a volume of diversity? I need to let my wife know there is more to life than Fishing and Boating, oh yeah, Hunting and the Ranch stuff ;). Speaking for myself, I don't mind talking rationally about Faith and Politics. The problem with most forums that are wide open, even NextDoor, is that some dominate and rant, there is no real intellectual honesty to discuss issues or explain ideas, debate or persuade, my 2 cents anyway.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
......recipes, yoga, favorite movies. It's called Facebook.
I try to avoid Facebook and other social media as much as possible because most of the time it's all about controversial topics like politics and whatnot. Or it's people who you went to high school with and don't mind seeing an update from them every once in awhile but are also mostly people I have nothing in common with. At least on here there's a general like of boating, fishing and so forth and not too terribly much drama .

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am sure the Site Ower could easily create a few more categories, but even with the regional Grady forum, I see very few posts in the Texas Grady area for example. Not sure there is enough users (bandwidth) on here to get a volume of diversity? I need to let my wife know there is more to life than Fishing and Boating, oh yeah, Hunting and the Ranch stuff ;). Speaking for myself, I don't mind talking rationally about Faith and Politics. The problem with most forums that are wide open, even NextDoor, is that some dominate and rant, there is no real intellectual honesty to discuss issues or explain ideas, debate or persuade, my 2 cents anyway.
I agree. I think the "General Discussion" section of the forum tends to dominate just about every other section with the amount of traffic and posts that it gets. I know for me living in the Seattle area yet having a very broad "West Coast Grady White Club" which spans over 1,400 miles that there are events or things in southern California that don't really pertain to me being up in Seattle. And I don't mind talking about faith or politics either, as long as it's done in a professional and courteous manner and people can remain civil toward one another.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My bookmark for opening this site is, "New Posts", which are new posts from every sub forum, since the last time I opened it. I never look, and I seldom have any idea, or care, which forum the thread came from, because they all have something in common. I don't want to see political, religious, sports, investing, self-help, etc. bull shit mixed in. I have never seen a single person in one of those threads on other sites, change their perspective on anything, from the pre conceived notion that they started with.
Here, people have problems with their boat, we sometimes actually get it right, and come up with a solution.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My bookmark for opening this site is, "New Posts", which are new posts from every sub forum, since the last time I opened it. I never look, and I seldom have any idea, or care, which forum the thread came from, because they all have something in common. I don't want to see political, religious, sports, investing, self-help, etc. bull shit mixed in. I have never seen a single person in one of those threads on other sites, change their perspective on anything, from the pre conceived notion that they started with.
Here, people have problems with their boat, we sometimes actually get it right, and come up with a solution.
Thank you

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I typically always check out the "General Discussion" part of the forum first as that typically gets the most amount of posts or action on a daily basis. Then it's usually "Tips, Modifications and Electronics" as that usually seems like the second busiest section and then finally the "For Sale/Wanted" section of the forum. The "West Coast Grady White Club" section I'll check out maybe once a week or so to see if there's anything that pertains to me but typically it doesn't as it includes the entire west coast at over 1,400 miles long... same goes for the other clubs around the country. That's why I thought it could be nice to have other topics of conversation in other sections of the forum and maybe they could even have a "New Posts" section but you could uncheck certain sections of the site where you might not want to see the new posts from that particular sub forum. And I would disagree with people changing their perspectives on things. It might not be common or something that happens on a daily basis but I've changed my perspective on several things over the years.

I used to think that Arima boats were the greatest thing out there because everyone around here had/has one and because of that, I purchased and owned one for almost 4 years before finally selling it and looking elsewhere. I stumbled across this forum and it's been a wealth of information as well as a ton of different opinions and perspectives as to which boat best fits someone's needs. I love my 228 Seafarer and think it's the perfect boat for me and my particular application(s) yet I can also see why someone might like a 232 Gulfstream more or it suits their needs better than my boat. And looking back, I can't believe I ever liked the 21' Arima that I had or ever thought it was a great boat. The same can be said about a 300 Marlin, a 370 Express or maybe someone prefers a DC boat like a 235 Freedom or a CC boat like a 257 Fisherman better or it is more suitable for their application. I tend to prefer walk around boats that are smaller in size and have a single main motor. Yet I can see why someone else might like a DC, CC or even an Express cabin, or maybe they don't even like Grady's and prefer a different manufacturer over GW instead. I can still typically always see someone else's perspective, even if I don't agree with them or if their brand/style of boat wouldn't ever work out for my particular style/application of boating. Anyway, I'll end it there as this doesn't seem to be a very popular idea. Thanks anyway!

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I like the Great Grady forums because they are specific to Grady Whites and the owners. Quickly get to relevant answers.

I'm a NO also. Direct them to The Hull Truth - which I infrequently use.
Same here.
I rarely go to The Hull Truth primarily because there is a lot of incorrect, information. This Grady site has for the most part accurate advice and very specific information.
I wish I had the same resources for my other brand but if that were possible, I would want it on a different forum. (BTW, there is a forum for my other boat but it is for the most part useless.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know how much I would use a "Tiki bar" section, personally, but I'd say that if it was of interest to some members, go for it. If I didn't want to use it, all I have to do is not click on it... pretty darn easy.

That said, I might use it - a place for things non-boat related but where you might find it helpful to get opinions on something. For example, on another boating forum I asked a question about a home wifi suggestion. I'd rather ask that at a place where I'm already comfortable than finding some random forum for electronics where I know nothing about the people there.

Reactions: Tug

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I believe there is quite enough social media outlets to expound the virtues of life without disturbing the sanctity of a good Grady White exchange. Lets keep it clean!!!

Reactions: Cadeco

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I typically always check out the "General Discussion" part of the forum first as that typically gets the most amount of posts or action on a daily basis. Then it's usually "Tips, Modifications and Electronics" as that usually seems like the second busiest section and then finally the "For Sale/Wanted" section of the forum. The "West Coast Grady White Club" section I'll check out maybe once a week............................................... ]
Try going to the 3 bar menu, in the top left corner, click "New Posts". Above the first post you may have a box that says, "Show Only: unread". If not, go to the right side, and click "Filter", click 'unread', and click the blue 'Filter', at the bottom of the drop down to apply. That gives you everything since your last visit, all on one page. Bookmark that page as your way of opening the site, and see how you like it.

If you don't click "Unread", when you hit the back key, it will show the posts that you just read, or replied to, along with the other new posts, which is OK, just takes up more space.

I have been on THT since '02, mostly for the Carolinas forum, but if I need answers to specific problems, there are people to look for, like fwPratt, Jughed, Seahorse........
And if you're into fiberglass, which I am not, there are some incredible craftmen there.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Try going to the 3 bar menu, in the top left corner, click "New Posts". Above the first post you may have a box that says, "Show Only: unread". If not, go to the right side, and click "Filter", click 'unread', and click the blue 'Filter', at the bottom of the drop down to apply. That gives you everything since your last visit, all on one page. Bookmark that page as your way of opening the site, and see how you like it.

If you don't click "Unread", when you hit the back key, it will show the posts that you just read, or replied to, along with the other new posts, which is OK, just takes up more space.

I have been on THT since '02, mostly for the Carolinas forum, but if I need answers to specific problems, there are people to look for, like fwPratt, Jughed, Seahorse........
And if you're into fiberglass, which I am not, there are some incredible craftmen there.
I typically just click on the General Discussion forum and browse the posts on there to start. My boat is pretty much all ready for the summer, just waiting for the weather to get nicer, with the exception of a few small things like upgrading some lights and maybe a few other small projects. But most of the things on here don't pertain to me, so I typically browse for 10-15 minutes at most and then move on, unless there's a thread or two that I'm actually interested in. I tried THT years and years ago and it was a lot of "know it alls" who seemed to turn every thread into an argument or a debate. Which is one of the many reasons why I left there and enjoy talking to people on here instead.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I tried THT years and years ago and it was a lot of "know it alls" who seemed to turn every thread into an argument or a debate. Which is one of the many reasons why I left there and enjoy talking to people on here instead.
Agree completely. I was skeptical of the Great Grady site 15 years ago when I joined. It has been very helpful to me and I try to give back to the community. Gives me a chance to show-off my hard-earned solution to some obscure project to others who can appreciate it.

Keep it the Cult of Grady White!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As a moderator here, I will have to agree with the others. The Great Grady site is just that, about Grady-White. I'd like to keep it that way. There are plenty of other sites, forums, FB, THT that have general chit chat going on. The civility of this page is the reason I reached out to help moderate it. I have a friend that's a mod on THT and I don't envy him at all. I very rarely go to THT due to all the chaos that goes on over there.

So that would be a hard NO from me for a general Open thread.

Reactions: Cadeco and Ryhlick

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So - just to clear things up, if I'm understanding Mustang's question correctly (and the way I envisioned it), this "open" forum would not be open to just anyone. It's for "us" to have an area to ask non-Grady-specific questions, but get answers from those that we have learned to trust over the years. Just making sure everyone understands the "intent"