Possible rotted tank or rotted fill hose.

B.Hinckley

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
I have a 1993 Spirit 175, and I recently had some issues with fuel. I was having a hard time getting fuel from the inboard tank, so I was doing the typical checks to see if I could smell gas in the hatches. I did not smell anything so I went ahead with replacing the lines from the tank and polishing the fuel. I got everything to work and had the engine running from the inboard fuel tank. However, I had the drain plug in, and when I pulled it, there were gallons of gas. I checked the hatch to the tank and saw no fuel. Has anyone heard of the fill hose being completely rotted? I am not sure if it would be the tank because there is fuel in the tank, and it is not leaking. I know I need to do a tank pressure test but that won't tell me anything about the tank if it is the fill tube that's shot. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Based on the age of the boat if the tank hasn't been replaced you should consider it. Take a look to see how difficult it would be to remove the tank. And be very careful with all that fuel around.

You use an automotive smoke test to pressurize system.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
What exactly did you replace? I am confused about what lines were checked, replace, or npthing done.

B.Hinckley

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
I replaced the lines from the pickup tube. From what I can see on a snake camera, the tank is in good shape. No corrosion on the top or the sides from what I could see. However, I could not see the actual fill hose.

B.Hinckley

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Based on the age of the boat if the tank hasn't been replaced you should consider it. Take a look to see how difficult it would be to remove the tank. And be very careful with all that fuel around.

You use an automotive smoke test to pressurize system.

Removing the tank is not an option, as there is no seam on the deck to remove the center console. I used a snake camera, and the tank is in good shape. However, I can not see the fill as it is under the livewell. If the tank needed to be re-done I would end up just closing the tank off and running an external tank. The fuel that ended up in the bilge has been fully removed and the tank still has fuel in it which is why I'm hoping it is the fill hose. I am just trying to see if anyone else had this issue/advice.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Aluminum or plastic tank?

Yes, it could be a fill or vent hose issue. Yes, it could be a tank issue. It could be either. There could be a hole in the tank at, say, the 3/4 height. Fuel would leak out until it was below that hole.

B.Hinckley

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Aluminum or plastic tank?

Yes, it could be a fill or vent hose issue. Yes, it could be a tank issue. It could be either. There could be a hole in the tank at, say, the 3/4 height. Fuel would leak out until it was below that hole.
The tank is aluminum.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Aluminum is, of course, much more likely to have a hole in it. The hoses and tank are 30 years old, after all.

Remove the fill hose at the tank and plug the nipple. Remove the vent hose and put a new hose on it for testing purposes. Put a couple pounds of pressure in the tank through the new hose.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Did you also check the gasket on the sending unit, although “gallons of gas“ is a lot for that scenario. When is the last time you pulled the plug?
When you snake around the tank, does it appear to be isolated in its own compartment, and is it dry underneath?
Where are you snaking the camera from, I would think that if you removed a pie plate over the tank that the smell would be overpowering if it was leaking.
Can you see where the fill hose attaches to the bottom of the fill hardware?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Aluminum is, of course, much more likely to have a hole in it. The hoses and tank are 30 years old, after all.

Remove the fill hose at the tank and plug the nipple. Remove the vent hose and put a new hose on it for testing purposes. Put a couple pounds of pressure in the tank through the new hose.
Exactly. Change the tank and all hoses. You're wasting your time if you don't.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Open the pie plate over the fuel fill on the tank. Check and feel under where the hoses attach to the nipple. I have seen 2 boats in the last year that had holes in the tank in this area. Water leaks under the deck plate for years and collects in this area. In this scenario gas only leaks when the tank is full and/or the boat is moving around.

B.Hinckley

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
The tank ended up being rotted, so I plan to run an external tank on the deck. I do not plan to remove the tank, as the deck has no seam. Is there anything else I should do being that the rotted tank will be staying? I already removed all the fuel and degreased the tank and bilge.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No, you're fine with that. You might want to put some water in the tank with some degreaser and let that slosh around for a while and then remove. Just to remove any residual gas to eliminate possible gas fumes.

I've never gone down this road, but here's an idea... get a large, sturdy opening deck hatch. Install it around the center of where the tank is. Cut a large hole in the tank. Insert a fuel bladder INTO the tank.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
For whatever it is worth. A friend of mine just went through the same thing. The internal tank was bad, so he bought and planned to use an above deck tank. This only lasted a couple of trips before he got tired of the tank always being in the way and taking up precious deck space(21ft boat). He ended up replacing the tank.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Maybe cut the deck out carefully and do glass work to create a hatch.

Alternative is cut the deck or, replace tank and re-glass it back in.

B.Hinckley

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Maybe cut the deck out carefully and do glass work to create a hatch.

Alternative is cut the deck or, replace tank and re-glass it back in.
The problem is that the tank is directly under the console and there is no seam whatsoever. I am just wondering if leaving the tank in would make other issues. I got a 22-gallon tank to fit under the bench and it is not that bad except for the fact that my live well has been redesignated as a cooler.

JJRJR

Reaction score
The problem is that the tank is directly under the console and there is no seam whatsoever. I am just wondering if leaving the tank in would make other issues. I got a 22-gallon tank to fit under the bench and it is not that bad except for the fact that my live well has been redesignated as a cooler.
Looking at 1991 Spirit. This gas tank stuff is scaring me. Is is a sure bet that at 33 years old that tank is leaking? How long do these alum tanks last before replacement. On deck fuel seems cumbersome and maybe dangerous.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Looking at 1991 Spirit. This gas tank stuff is scaring me. Is is a sure bet that at 33 years old that tank is leaking? How long do these alum tanks last before replacement. On deck fuel seems cumbersome and maybe dangerous.
The only way to know is to check it out or ask the owner of the boat to find out the history of the tank.

Nothing wrong with an on deck gas tank. Millions of boats are running around that way. As long as it's tied down properly you're good.

There's posts above (and plenty that you can search) about checking the tank, pressure testing, etc.

Short of cutting the floor to completely remove the tank, see my post about a bladder.

If you'll completely replace it - highly consider a plastic tank.

Reactions: Sauza45

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Been there and one that on my 30ft RIB las August.
Fuel smell became rapidly worst and worst so I went to the shipyard and we flipped the console and T-Top, lifted the fuel tank cover and pulled the tank. There was a pin hole developing on the rear end bend between bottom and rear wall and repairing was not an option. So I bought a 25 gallon plastic fuel tank and strapped it down between rear bench and seat and used it as this for 5 month and about 120 hours. Worked surprisingly well but was a PITA to dig for stored stuff insider the locker below the bench ad I could not fish from the rear.
I am ordering a new fuel tank as I prefer the tank below deck and want to sell the RIB and get a bigger center console.

Take some precautions for the on-deck tank:
1) make a watertight cover from a tarp or for it that no water can enter the tank if it's choppy or washing the boat and it reduces sunlight detonation of the tank.
2) If the tank has a vent connector install it at a protected location so that you don't have to open the vent screw on the tank; firs because you may forget it open/closed and second water can enter thru it (the cover help with that)
3) put a rubber, non slip or yoga mat between the tank and floor, that avoid sliding and damage from vibration greatly and strap it down well.
4) If you need to pull the tank from below the bench to refuel then use ratchet straps to free it easily

Chris

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Not sure how big your original fuel tank is but you'll be loosing some low-down ballast by moving the fuel weight up onto deck.