Questions/concerns about possibly purchasing a 228 Seafarer...

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Kind of disappointing... one of the many reasons why I wanted to buy a used 228 is because they still produce them brand new. Very odd as it seems like they're one of the more popular Grady's that I still see.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't think that's true. You can still build a 228 and it's listed as one of the walk-arounds. If they were no longer making them, they would have removed them from the website. The 228 is one of their most popular, doubt they would discontinue it. They may have put some models on hold due to COVID-19 and the supply line not getting all the parts to build them.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was going to say that sounds like a rather radical move but I guess anything is possible with this economy...?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I emailed Grady to ask. Seems really strange. I think the guy saying they will rebadge it and charge more is probably on to something. Going to be spendy, mine was $130ish out the door just before COVID hit.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I emailed Grady to ask. Seems really strange. I think the guy saying they will rebadge it and charge more is probably on to something. Going to be spendy, mine was $130ish out the door just before COVID hit.

Thanks for reaching out to the source; always better than going off of secondhand information.

I can see rebadging as it’s way more than 2 feet bigger than the 208 due to the full transom and bracket.

At this rate it’ll be cheaper to convert my 208 into a mini 228 by closing transom and adding an Armstrong bracket than it will to buy a used 228 (can see them jumping in price as well)

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If anyone wants to know the deal on the XL treated Plywood (Greenwood). It went into use in July 1997 in the the transoms. Sometime in 1998, Greenwood was implemented into the stringers and bulkheads. Prior to that. They used exterior grade plywood.
this came directly fromGrady archives.