Re Power

GradyBoy

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Looking to re power a 1990 Overnighter. Big price difference between yamaha and suzuki. Anyone ever re power with a suzuki engine?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Yep, 300 with electronic controls rigged was just about $20k. What’s the 20’ rated for? 200?

grady23

Reaction score
I plan to repower my '97 Gulfstream w/twin 150 Suzuki's in the near future. The cost of the Yamaha's are WAY over priced and everyone including Yamaha dealers say Suzuki OWNS the repower market. The Suzuki's also come with a 6 year warranty standard. I plan to use Dann's Marine on the Maryland Eastern shore. According to the owner, I will decrease fuel consumption by almost 1/3 and gain a better top end. The 150's use a 17in prop w/ 17 degree pitch if I recall. My Gulfstream is over 7k loaded. .Good luck with your decision.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Lots of folks have. If you have good service nearby it is a great option.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was a Yamaha guy for 22 years then bought my project 228 last winter and needed power and ended up with a Suzuki DF250, it’s been great so far, very quiet and lots of mid range power

GradyBoy

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Would you recommend the Suzuki?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Would you recommend the Suzuki?

Whether he recommends the Suzuki or not is irrelevant if YOU don't have a local qualified dealer/service in your area. Sure you can drive some distance to save some money, but in the end, where will you get service if needed on that Suzuki. You've never said where you'll be purchasing the Suzuki from? Local? Out of town?

Just something to think about in the quest to save a little money.

Reactions: coldpizza

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
*edit* if you have a dealer/service place nearby...

Suzuki 200 with electronic throttle and 4 blade prop. Check with Ken at Prop Gods in FL for prop sizing based on your use. (941) 735-5808

I have a 2005 Adventure 208 that the previous owner repowered with a 2012 250 Suzuki DF250AP.

There’s more than enough power; the 200s seem to be the best match for the 20 ft hulls.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I live in Los Angeles and repowered last year (2019). I didn't see a big difference in $$ between Suzuki and Yamaha. My boat was already rigged for Yamaha and that was a savings from repower to another manufacturer, too. If your local Yamaha dealer offers scratch and dent motors, you can save some on it. I really like the I-line 200hp motors, was a little skeptical that they would work as well as the V6 200's I replaced. I am very satisfied with their performance and they are 100 pounds lighter, each.
With that said, I hear a lot of good thinks for Suzuki's (not to mention that my first motorcycle was a Suzuki and I beat it up alot in the 1970's and 80's :) ). Take care.

Last edited:

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good luck getting either a Suzuki or a Yamaha right now. According to my dealer friends, they will not be available until at least February. Boat manufacturers will have first dibs.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good luck getting either a Suzuki or a Yamaha right now. According to my dealer friends, they will not be available until at least February. Boat manufacturers will have first dibs.

Correct. I found that out this week. Have a Yamaha F250 on order, won't see it till after first of the year.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I live on Vancouver Island and have 2 different Suzuki dealers 45 minutes away north and south of me. I do all my own maintenance that I can but buy parts through them when needed. I did the same with my Yamaha’s and never had any major component failures in 22 years with that brand. The Suzuki’s have variable valve timing and crazy power for my 228, even with 6 people onboard. I like the slim design of the block. I bought the Suzuki matched prop and that was a huge difference from the stock smaller 4 blade that it can with. I had a chance to buy a used Yamaha 300 but it was pretty beat up so went with the low hour mint Suzuki and so far I’m really impressed so yes would recommend Suzuki. My buddy has the same boat with the same motors and he loves the setup as well. Lots of lodges and guides on the west coast of Vancouver Island have gone to Suzuki’s As well. My 2 cents ...

GradyBoy

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
All great points. Really appreciate the feedback. Very helpful.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Manual says 225 max
Actually I think it’s 230 max, at least that’s what my ‘87 Overnighter is rated at.
Don’t know where your located but my back up plan if my 2 stroke Suzuki DT225 dies is to contact Rudi’s in Delaware. I’m sure the cost has gone up but they ran specials throwing in the rigging on a repower to a 4 stroke 4 cylinder Yamaha F200 with a 19 pitch prop.
It’s a much lighter engine than the 6 cylinder versions and is much closer to the weight of the engines built in the late ‘80’s and that’s an important point. The engines built in that time weighed in at around 380lb.s. The F200 is light by today’s standards but it still 485lbs. 6 Cylinder engines are close to 600lb.s and not what Grady had in mind when they designed this boat. My DT225 weighs 470 lb.s and the stern floats low because of it. 15 more lb.s ok, but another 100 I’m not so sure that’d be to good.
;) yes I’ve researched it to death and settled on that being the best setup to get for the older Overnighters.
Rudi’s Marine cost 4 years back was about $15,000. The tax rate in Delaware is supposed to be an advantage too.
If you look back in the posts for those that have gone this route they are very happy.
Top speed with this engine on an Overnighter is 43mph + — and that’s very respectable.

Last edited: