rear scuppers

VinMan

Reaction score
I have a 2006 228 and have noticed since new, water dripping down from the aft scuppers into the bilge. When the boat was purchased (as a new boat from a Grady dealer) I noticed it on the sea trial, so the dealer pulled the hoses off of the thru-hull fittings, gooped em up, and then put them back with two automotive style clamps.

I have noticed that it is not dripping from there. In fact I don't think it is the hoses at all. I think it is the plastic in deck drain. Under the deck, there is a large nut on the bottom of the drain. I think if I undo that nut the drain will pop up and then I can seal it correctly.

Am I correct and what should I use? It's like a bathroom drain that one would normally use plumbers putty on, then tighten the nut. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
With a boat that new, why don't you call your local Grady dealer?

If the Grady factory screwed up, I would expect the dealer to send a serviceman to your boat and fix it no charge.

If they find the leak is owner attributed, I would expect they charge you for the trip, if you agree.

With a leak in that location, I would not trust the other fittings and have them all checked for whatever the cause of the leak is as-found.

The fitting may not just be loose, it may have cracked.

if you don't get satisfaction from your local dealer, even if you purchased the boat used from a private party, copy this page as a link and email Grady factory customer service with the problem.

Let us know how it works out -

Brad1

Reaction score
I don't have the leaking problem described by the OP, but I always considered that plastic deck drain to be the weak link in that design. I've heard of nylon through hulls breaking due to age / UV. Why use one under the deck? If that fitting were to crack to the point of it breaking entirely, the hose would fall lower than scuppers, and with the scuppers being 1/2 submerged. Well, it's pretty obvious what happens next.

I would like to replace my plastic deck drains with the same fitting made of either stainless or bronze. Does anyone know where you can find such a fitting?

AquaAddict

Reaction score
check southco.com for stainless deck drains. i also have an issue with scuppers being underwater when the boat is at rest. i am going to do a little planning this offseason and hopefully raise the thru hull scuppers and move the deck drains, so that i still have the proper fall for drainage. i'll take pics along the way.

A

Anonymous

I am in the process of replacing all the thru hulls, including scuppers, on my Grady 175. The old ones were the white plastic which has seriously degraded and were brittle. I contacted Grady and was informed that they use metal now and their source is Premier (http://www.premierproductsltd.com/index.php). They were very helpful but indicated that Grady did not want them selling direct to public. I tried to go through the local dealer but he was not interested. You might have better luck. Looks like you are looking for drains (http://www.premierproductsltd.com/produ ... atIndex=37)

Good luck

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Gemlux stainless isn't the best quality stainless, I have a rust stain under the livewell overflow.

VinMan

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the advice. I bought this 2006 228 from a Grady dealer in New Orleans as a 'new' boat in Aug of 2008. The warranty began in Aug of 08. I live in S. Fla and can not go back. I know several of you are probably wondering why I don't just go to the dealer nearest my home. I have been there to ask questions and pick up parts and they are the rudest people I ever met. Before I bought my boat, I looked around there and they basically told me that if I buy a boat anywhere else, don't bother bringing it to us for service. (By the way, I got this boat for 28k less than my local dealer - what would you all have done?) I would rather spend the $$$ and fix it myself.

I love my Grady but the dealer network they brag about is the absolute worst (at least the one closest to my home is). I am thankful I can do things myself on the boat and I found a great Yamaha mechanic nearby for engine service. Thanks again everyone for the advice. I am going to call Grady after Christmas just to see what they have to say. It sounds like I'll have to pull off the hoses, remove the drain nuts, and take them out to check for cracks. Maybe I'll replace with stainless ones. If they look good, I'll put them back with new 4200. Should I put anything on the drain bottom (like plumbing dope) before pushing the hoses back on?

A

Anonymous

Bobp,
I should have added that I was able to convince them to sell direct to me so you might be able to do the same.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Vin Man: Sounds like you might be referring to Mariner Marine in Riviera Beach? I hope not because they have been absolutely fantistic to me and my family. If that is who you had a bad experience with, ask for Bill Mars (co-owner) directly. I'll be surprised if he disappoints you.

Rob

VinMan

Reaction score
I hate to speak poorly of people, but I don't want you to think it was Mariner either. It was Pompano Beach Marine. I was told they have enough rich customers with 30+ft Grady's that they don't need my business. In fact, they actually told me that boats not purchased there get put in the back of the line and they wouldn't work on them at all if Grady didn't force them. They actually told me that if they work on my boat, it will be because Grady makes them do it, not because they want the business. I have to add here, I did nothing but walk in there and start looking at boats. I didn't say anything argumentative or cross to anyone. My six year old son was with me and after we left, he asked me where we would take our boat for service if the Grady guys weren't willing to work on it. I was humiliated and will never go back to such arrogant, nasty people.

Maybe I'll drive from my home to Mariner in Riviera. It's not the closest but if you say they are good folks, I'll make the trip. Thanks.

VinMan
My boat is called "Fisher of Men" because I believe you lead by powerful example in life. My son now knows to walk away from nasty people. He knows not to argue with them or lower yourself to their level. He also knows that fisherman are supposed to be helpful to eachother. Grady's, to me, are fishing boats first. Anyway, didn't mean to rant. I love the boat. One bad dealer won't change that. Thanks all.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Grog said:
The Gemlux stainless isn't the best quality stainless, I have a rust stain under the livewell overflow.

There is no such thing as a “quality” stainless. Either the material meets specification (chemical analyst) or it doe not.

Stainless relies on the formation of chromium oxide on its surface to protect it from “rusting”. If you prevent oxygen from coming into contact with the surface the oxide can’t form and the result is a chemical reaction that looks like rust.

Odds are that you did not bed the material properly and moisture has become trapped between the fitting and the surface of the livewell. The other possibility is that the material was somehow contaminated after the passivation process.

Did you by chance use a steel or iron tool to tighten up the fitting?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I guess the dealer is living in a state denial, or independently wealthy.

Either way, I consider the issue with the leaky deck as substantial and you need to call Grady factory service and relate where you bought the boat, where you are now, wha the problem is, what are you supposed to do with it, and no more.

Your boat is warrantied, and you paid for that, including whatever it takes for grady to win the JD powers crown for 7 yrs, all of it paid for by the buyers in the price of the boat.

At this time I'd leave some of the other stuff out, including what you may think is wrong or not and what the original dealer did.

Then when they suggest a dealer, ask them to call ahead before you do, since you are concerned you didn't buy it there and will get pushback.

You may not be directed to a dealer though, I know Grady has authorized repair references who are not dealers.

It should all work out fine, report back your experience, be it good or not so good.

In my opinion, boat manufacturers have not even come close and have a long way to go to get to where car manufacturers are in terms of where to get service vs. where it was purchased, including for warranty service. I get my service at a local dealer, who doesn't even ask where the car was purchased. When I did ask if it mattered the car was bought elsewhere, they said they didn't care and it doesn't matter. But did ask me why I didn't buy it there. I said this dealer didn't come close to the price I got elsewhere.

I expect in your situation, that after you call Grady factory customer service, the next call will be one to you from the repair outfit or dealer who is calling to make arrangements to inpect the boat.

If Grady HQ is reading this, it's time to walk the talk, and you know that everything written here is 100% on target, so lets get this customer taken cared of. You're own high standards leave no excuses not to.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Seahunter said:
Grog said:

There is no such thing as a “quality” stainless. Either the material meets specification (chemical analyst) or it doe not.

. The other possibility is that the material was somehow contaminated after the passivation process.

?

I think by quality he really means grade/series of stainless - 303,304,316, 400 series, ect - different grades of stainless can carry significantly different chemical resistant properties -

Also - It is my understanding that the passivation process is not performed on all stainless, only if you are looking for a particular finish - #2 and #4 finishes specifically.

Tim

Seahunter

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
Seahunter said:
Grog said:

. The other possibility is that the material was somehow contaminated after the passivation process.

?

I think by quality he really means grade/series of stainless - 303,304,316, 400 series, ect - different grades of stainless can carry significantly different chemical resistant properties -

Also - It is my understanding that the passivation process is not performed on all stainless, only if you are looking for a particular finish - #2 and #4 finishes specifically.

Tim
I checked all eight of the Gemlux fittings I installed on my boat with a handle held XRF unit that we manufacuture. All of them meet ANSI and SAE specification for 316 stainless steel.

http://www.niton.com/Documents/alloy/8-303_0408_Fab_App_bull_low.pdf

Passivation (acid bath) is used to remove “free iron” contamination left behind on the surface of the stainless steel as a result of machining and fabricating processes.

These contaminants are potential corrosion sites which, if not removed, result in premature corrosion and ultimately result in deterioration of the component. In addition, the passivation process facilitates the formation of a very thin, transparent oxide film, which protects the stainless steel from “selective” oxidation (corrosion).