Release 283 Electrical Problems

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If any of you guys had it happen once and didn't find an errant piece of floatation foam under it, replace the sw. For if you wait, and since it happened once, it will again, at worse possible time, and do permanent damage this time oir be unavaliable when yoiu really need it. like when at sea and an underwater fitting fails!

Perhaps at one time they used mercury in glass tubes as the elec. element that was perectly reliable, I'm sure mercury is no longer used today.

My one year old head shower sump pump continues to run when the water in it has been evacuated. I have a separate power suppy sw only wired in auto mode.

Can't be any floation foam in it, I'm curious to find out why, may be able to get to it this long weekend.

TGIADIYer (Thank God I'm a .....).

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I cannot tell why it is locked in the on position until I squeeze my roofer into the hole and remove it. I doubt that it is a piece of trash because the float is encased in a blue plastic box that screens the trash from the float. This switch is called a "Sure Bail" and there is a lot of opinions on THT about it. The opinions are equally divided between trash and best thing since apple pie.

Supposed advantage of these is that trash cannot get under the float and lock it up and the cover helps dampen sloshing and constant on/off cycles. BTW, I searched for one of these "blue cover" type switches and evidently they changed the style since 2007 because I couldn't find one. These switches have a small knob that you can test the float with, but where they are located in a 283 you will never be able to reach it unless you borrow my roofer and he won't go in water over his knees.

One guy likes the old fashioned kind that has the float arm that you can see and test and/or unlock with a pole. This sounds like the one I might use because I can reach it with a pole, I can test it with a pole and I usually keep my bilge clean. If debris gets caught under the float, I should be able to clean it out with a brush on the end of the pole.

There is also one that is "solid state" and those that have them like them. The problem with them is that to test them you have to put a finger on a raised section of the switch. Once again, no chance of that happening.

The bad news is that I took my boat out of the water for the season (yes, we do have seasons down here) and it's 82 degrees, no wind and blue wate is within 30 miles of the coast.

Anyway, my immediate problem has to do with turkey, oyster dressing, cranberry sauce and scotch.

See you guys after the holidays.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ed...fyi looked at my pump/ float and see that its made by Rule; not the same brand as yours but same float design (enclosed). Was hoping we shared the same brand and that maybe they were defective. Back to the drawing board I guess. Maybe better off with the old style float that isnt enclosed, if only for the reason you mention..easier to flip back down if it gets stuck, especially in rough conditions...