I need to replace the non-functioning float switch (currently a Sure Bail) attached to my aft bilge pump ( an Attwood Heavy Duty 1700 GPH). The pump runs fine when the cockpit switch is on, I can see where the wiring on the float switch has corroded through the wire. I have verified the in-line fuses for the float switches are OK. Both the pump and the float switch are mounted to the mounting flat Grady built in the boat, with the float farthest aft behind the pump. The pump and the now-failed float switch are located past the battery shelf which also has a wiring bundle/harness attached to the top of the shelf. It will by a major PITA to access.
I am not the agile and flexible person I once was, and am thinking about relocating both the pump and a new float switch (a standard Rule-a-Matic 35A) - or at a minimum at least the new float switch - farther forward, probably just under the battery shelf to make both testing the float switch and servicing or replacing the pump when the time comes. I am thinking I will take a piece of starboard and 5200 it into the bilge so I am not tapping screws for the new placement into the gelcoat of the hull.
Any thoughts, experience, cautions, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I am not the agile and flexible person I once was, and am thinking about relocating both the pump and a new float switch (a standard Rule-a-Matic 35A) - or at a minimum at least the new float switch - farther forward, probably just under the battery shelf to make both testing the float switch and servicing or replacing the pump when the time comes. I am thinking I will take a piece of starboard and 5200 it into the bilge so I am not tapping screws for the new placement into the gelcoat of the hull.
Any thoughts, experience, cautions, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.