Replacement Cabin hatch on 2001 282 Sailfish?

SecondWind282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does anyone know if there is a direct Lewmar or Bomar product to replace the OEM hatch? The edges of the acrylic has started to crack and is leaking water into the cabin.

Thanks,

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
GW uses Bomar. Probably something like this:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/boma...pe=e&msclkid=c171b9503bcb181467d9e554095d8594

I'd reach out to GW Cust Service and see if they can provide the model number used. Another opition is to measure the plastic glass or the hole cut out (remove inside trim and measure.
My guess is there will only be one size that fits, so once you zero in on it, you should be able to locate one. Let us know how things progress.

Reactions: SecondWind282

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Although some boat manufacturer's have hatches made to their specs, they don't make them themselves. There is most likely some printing/identification on the hatch, itself, and that should be the info you need to purchase a new one.

If you're referring to the bedding compound that's breaking down (normal), then just dig it/cut it out and replace it with something like Life Caulk.

SecondWind282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks y'all. I just went and measured and found the exact replacement West Marine. For 649 I think I might try resealing like DennisG01 mentions. I think I might have to go further and pull entire hatch and put new bead of sealant between hatch frame and boat and also reset the acrylic in new sealant. Thanks again!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Pulling a hatch completely from the boat and resealing, at 18 years old, is a very good idea... and, honestly, one that is overdue - although you may not know when it was done last if the boat is new to you, which of course, is another good reason to do it. On the plus side, it's a simple job.

Oh, I mistakenly mentioned Life Calk above. While that might work, a better product for that application is the Life Seal. You can also use Life Seal for the hatch-to-deck resealing, too.

Resealing around the hatch... Cut a V-groove out of the existing stuff with a new razor blade, then come back and trim some more of the old stuff away. You don't have to get it all. But, sure, you could completely remove the acrylic.

Last edited: