Replacing cockpit floor drains

ocdansar

Reaction score
I’m thinking about replacing the cockpit floor drains on my 2003 330 express has anybody else done there’s ? I did my marlin and had to cut a section of the floor up to get to the ones on the starboard side. I haven’t crawled down in the bilge yet but looks like it may be possible to do it from the underside.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm considering the same. I believe if you remove the diesel tank and can crawl into a tight space, it can be done without cutting the deck. Port, I'm told, can be done by removing the batteries and battery/fuel selector panel. Neither side is easy it appears. I'd be happy to have you tell us how you do it! ha ha!

ocdansar

Reaction score
I think the port side looks to be pretty easy. I’ve got the boat tore apart right now. Mine has the gas generator so don’t have to pull the tank .

ocdansar

Reaction score
First day since thanksgiving back working on the boat . Decided to crawl down in the bilge and give it a whirl. I’m not gonna lie there was some blood shed but I got one out. I am fairly confident I can get the other one out. Both on starboard side. I looked at the port side and they are accessible.
laying on top of the generator and wiggle wiggle wiggle and finally got the hose off. I may try the other one tomorrow I will report back.1AE958C3-6840-4F14-A383-D4F5D2482383.jpeg1900E993-762A-425B-B996-8EA8EC3FA11A.jpegB0A42697-5437-45A2-A182-D0B225CDECFD.jpeg

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Like to see what you replace them with. Are you using existing hoses or replacing all the way to the thru hulls? Able to reach the thru hulls?

ocdansar

Reaction score
Just replacing floor drains. I can’t reach the thru hulls on the starboard side. The hoses and clamps actually look and feel pretty good. The thru hulls on the side of the hull are SS.
I would like to find some in stainless but not having much luck. If anybody has a source post it up thanks.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just replacing floor drains. I can’t reach the thru hulls on the starboard side. The hoses and clamps actually look and feel pretty good. The thru hulls on the side of the hull are SS.
I would like to find some in stainless but not having much luck. If anybody has a source post it up thanks.
I have these on watch list at Ebay. Might not be the right size, but I saved for future consideration: 90 Degree Mirrored Stainless Steel 1-1/2 Inch Boat Deck Drain Marine Plug Yacht

• Wow
Reactions: JeffK

Fishtales

Reaction score
From a previous thread on the same topic....

This is the new model floor drain that Grady is now using. It has a built-in ball valve that is supposed to reduce the water back flow. They are a lot more rugged than the older plastic ones without the ball valve. You can also unscrew them for cleaning.

0403830.jpg

REMOVABLE COCKPIT DRAIN SCUPPER
Stainless Steel 316 Grate & Nylon Adapter
1. Spoke type drain grate designed to maximize water flow. 2. Stainless steel 316 grate screws into nylon body. 3. Inner grate can be removed for cleaning purposes. 4. Incorporates one way check ball to hold water back temporarily.

You can order them through a Grady dealer, but I'm trying to get them directly from the supplier since they are located only a few miles from me. I'll find out today (if they are open) or tomorrow and see if they will sell directly to retail customers.

MARINE TOWN USA
2061 NW US Highway 19,
Crystal River,FL 34428
T352 564 1150
F352 564 1156
E info@marinetown.com

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
From a previous thread on the same topic....

This is the new model floor drain that Grady is now using. It has a built-in ball valve that is supposed to reduce the water back flow. They are a lot more rugged than the older plastic ones without the ball valve. You can also unscrew them for cleaning.

0403830.jpg

REMOVABLE COCKPIT DRAIN SCUPPER
Stainless Steel 316 Grate & Nylon Adapter
1. Spoke type drain grate designed to maximize water flow. 2. Stainless steel 316 grate screws into nylon body. 3. Inner grate can be removed for cleaning purposes. 4. Incorporates one way check ball to hold water back temporarily.

You can order them through a Grady dealer, but I'm trying to get them directly from the supplier since they are located only a few miles from me. I'll find out today (if they are open) or tomorrow and see if they will sell directly to retail customers.

MARINE TOWN USA
2061 NW US Highway 19,
Crystal River,FL 34428
T352 564 1150
F352 564 1156
E info@marinetown.com

Think they wanted 40 per a drain, shipping of 15 or so plus a surplus charge for China.

I am picking 2 up from my local Grady dealer for 100, including tax.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is the one from factory tour that got my attention. Ordered from dealer as soon as I got done with tour.

20190225_140306.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
yup, both pics above are the new ones that were detailed in the post above the pics.

ocdansar

Reaction score
I have all 4 removed now. Really don’t want to go to dealer. Anybody have a link for some on line ? Thanks

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

teaklejr

Reaction score
This is something I want to do to our 305 Express, it bothers me that the little bar across each drain is not lined up from side to side just right. I know a stupid thing to let bother me. Why from the factory can they just not spend a few more minutes getting little things like that just right especially considering what they cost new. Am I the only crazy person who notices things like this?

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is something I want to do to our 305 Express, it bothers me that the little bar across each drain is not lined up from side to side just right. I know a stupid thing to let bother me. Why from the factory can they just not spend a few more minutes getting little things like that just right especially considering what they cost new. Am I the only crazy person who notices things like this?

Agree, I am the same way.

As an example, you would think a showroom boat would have a cleaner job on the cockpit drain than the one in KY Grady’s pics. The one he did looks professionally done and looks integrated with the floor vs the one that was done at the factory.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I was talking to a glass guy about this and he said the way he does it is to cut a hole in the hull above the thru hulls and get at them that way. He's done a bunch this way - I am a bit perplexed. That being said he says it's fiberglass and you can repair it easy enough. When done, you can't tell the difference.

Reactions: Angler Management