Replacing Scupper Valve Assembly - Escape 209

Fishballs15

Reaction score
Hi all -

Need to replace my scupper valve assemblies on my '93 Escape. These are for the deck drains and they sit above the water line (most of the time). They are the type that have the white plastic ring and the flap behind them held on by four screws.

My question is do the screws need some type of sealant on them when I re-install or are they okay as is? Seems to me they should have something on them, but don't want to seal them in so I can't ever get them off!

Thanks,
Fish

Clockwork

Reaction score
yes, you need sealant. use 3M 5200 fast dry. use fast dry because it has the same specs as the standard except that it has slightly lower tensile strength which wont matter here. and the standard 5200 takes about a week to fully cure which can be a problem if weather gets bad. water will seep in if you dont use sealant. You'll still be able to get them back out down the road with 5200. i just smear a little around the hole and dip the threads in it.

Fishballs15

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I figured as much, but never hurts to ask!

Appreciate the info.

--Fish

seasick

Reaction score
When you take off the old ones be careful with the multiple rubber spacers. The new ones don't have these spacers and you may need to reuse them; I did. The new screws and the old screws may be a different length too. I also had to reuse the old ones ( and I did use 5200 squeezed into the holes and a bit on the threads)