Replacing the fuel tank in 1989 Gulf Stream

Philipgilles

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi guys, I would appreciate any knowledge about the ease or lack of ease in replacing a main fuel tank in a 1989 Grady Gulf Stream. I would like to do this myself, I would consider going to a 90 gal tank if that means less hassle. Thank you!!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Many threads on this on the board. You can search and read. I'll post one of the most recent.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Here are a few...

Philipgilles

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi,
Many threads on this on the board. You can search and read. I'll post one of the most recent.
I am talking specifically a gulf stream I read all the others but every boat is a little different

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
In concept, it’s exactly the same. Hopefully you don’t have any obstructions that need to be removed and replaced if it was structural. Bottom line is, lift the deck plate, free the tank from any restraints, unhook hoses, empty it, then pull it. Replace with same geometry new tank. Don’t foam it in. Hook it up with all new hoses and filters.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Philip, like EFX said, and the generous linking Fish did, they're pretty much all the same. All the same concepts apply. I don't mean this to sound crude, but if you're not able to extrapolate the information from the other threads and apply to your situation, it might be best to hire someone to do it for you. Working on boats is often a "figure it out as you go" thing - there isn't going to be a "step-by-step with pictures" thing. One thing you might consider, if the tank won't come out whole, is cutting it (take precautions for spark vs fuel vapor, obviously) and then have the new tank built slightly smaller - it'll probably only make a difference of a couple gallons, max.

kdhaynes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi guys, I would appreciate any knowledge about the ease or lack of ease in replacing a main fuel tank in a 1989 Grady Gulf Stream. I would like to do this myself, I would consider going to a 90 gal tank if that means less hassle. Thank you!!
I removed the main tank from my 1988 Gulfstream. I haven't purchased and installed a new tank yet but hope to soon. Just for your information the tank will not come out of the hole.
I had to take a saw and remove a little fiberglass from one side and the back end to get the tank out. Its no problem. Still plenty of lip to hold the floor deck plate. I have read that
Grady installed the tanks before they installed the floor and no one noticed the tank was about 1/4" wider and longer than the opening.