repower 2007 30 Marlin

AIC 1

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi guys
looking for opinions going to repower my 30 Marlin looking at Yamahas and Suzuki been reading up a bit
My Question is does any one have any info on the dual prop models VS the single props. Dpo they make a big difference???
Would apprecite the input

Fishtales

Reaction score
The sukes that I've seen are all single props. Folks seem to like the performance and reliability.

AIC 1

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The sukes that I've seen are all single props. Folks seem to like the performance and reliability.
Thanks for the input... appreciate it. I was going to go with the single props but they are telling me better to get out of the water and back up is stronger??? Just seeing if anyone has done it and how they liked them....

AIC 1

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Fishtales

Reaction score
Will be interested as I'm in the same position. This year is transom rebuild and bolster/seat recover.. Got the fuel tanks, cockpit scupper drain lines and repower on the list.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Having run a Marlin for four years, I would say the most important park of the repower is to get the engine height correct. I would suggest either the 300 Yamaha or 300 Suzuki. Either will be fantastic and as long as they are under 650lbs each, you are good. I prefer Suzuki for pure power and Yamaha for quietness. Whatever you can get a good deal on.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Whats on it now ? Hours ?

AIC 1

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Having run a Marlin for four years, I would say the most important park of the repower is to get the engine height correct. I would suggest either the 300 Yamaha or 300 Suzuki. Either will be fantastic and as long as they are under 650lbs each, you are good. I prefer Suzuki for pure power and Yamaha for quietness. Whatever you can get a good deal on.
Question I have noticed the Suzuki 300 dual props weigh roughly 421 pounds .
You mentioned stay under 650 pounds each????

Fishtales

Reaction score

Also need to ensure there is great service in your area. Suzuki was limited for a while but are making solid progress in building out their dealer network.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265

DF300B (duoprop) is 727 pounds
DF300AP is 640

I don't see the need for duoprops on a twin config boat. Definitely great for a single.

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Are you having trouble with your Yamahas or just want to spend $40-50K. I have 1100 hours on my 2005 Marlin Yamahas, just had their 2 year full maintenance, no major issues, should be good for many more years. Maybe I am trying to get too much life out mine?

AIC 1

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sorry was a typo yes correct 727.....

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I ran an older Marlin than yours and its big beam can handle a LOT of weight, but why add more than you need. I spent a lot of time adding buckets of water to the stern and had different people go on the boat to simulate what heavier engines can do to the scupper line. I found that 650lbs x 2 plus a full livewell plus four adults on the stern was about the limit on where I wanted the boat to be. Put three guys on the port stern corner in 3-5's and the boat can be pretty darn low. It a big boat and can handle a lot, but i would test it. 300 4 bladed suzuki would make that hull fly. Mount those engines higher than you think they need to be.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 1909 hours on my F250s on my 2007 Marlin, and they run great. I am approaching the 2000 hour point where I will have the Yamaha techs change timing belts and tensioners. I do all the other 100 and 200 hour maintenance myself with help from my son, brother and nephew. Use to do most of it myself, getting old sucks.:cool:

Reactions: Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As gOtagrip stated he has 1900+hours on his and still running. I had put 2100hours on a pair myself on a different boat before I sold it. They ran great. The current owner has put several hundred trouble free hours on them too. They were stamped 09/2006 and no exhaust issues either. Diligent oil changes and scheduled maintenance with fresh thermostats and zincs etc wil do the trick. Never had any lower unit failures either. If you’re set on repower Yamaha 300’s would be my choice. Proven motors with the resale audience down the road.

AIC 1

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
So after further research the dual props definitely to heavy so out of the question as everyone has said....thanks for the input everyone....Finally going with the Suzuki 300 AP. Should be doing the install in next 3 to 4 weeks....The outfit I found has done several instal for friends and family and have great support and service. He has done several Gradys which is nice. Price is about 42 K complete.
My engines are in nice shape but little things staring to act up.... sold them for 11k which puts engines at 31K and have peace of mind and new engines under boat w/warranty till 2027.
Will post the final out come and how they run once installed
Again thanks for all the input as I am new to this forum this is my first Grady and happy with it so far....

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds like a solid move. You got into them for around $30K and you'll have them a nice long time. Those engines are very nice and should be trouble free for you. Good luck with her!