REPOWER

Bob Meola

Reaction score
Have a 2005 265 express with twin 225 Yamahas with 1600 hours on them. thinking of repowering. Do you think its worth it to repower/

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think the biggest consideration would be the total cost involved that you have into the boat at this point, especially after potentially doing a repower. If you bought the boat, for example, for say $65k and then have to repower at say another $50k on top of that, I'm not really too sure the boat would be worth the $115k+ that you have into it at that point. Of which it might be more advantageous to sell and buy something different that's already been repowered, something newer, or with fewer hours on the outboards. Also, is there another reason for the repower other than the 1,600 hours on the motors? I know that ItalianAngler is in the process of upgrading his 282 Sailfish at this point and believe his F225's have like 2,300 hours on them. I guess my point would be that, if you take care of the outboards then I'm thinking they should hopefully get you over 2k hours.

seasick

Reaction score
Define "worth it"
Worth it from a financial point of view or worth it from a personal " I feel better with newer motors" point of view.
If the current setup meets your needs, is reliable, and gets you from point A to B, why repower?
If your intend to sell after repowering and the repowers are new, you will probably not get your investment back.
If motors are used, then you can look at similar boats with similar power and hours to see what newer motors add to the pricing.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You can't get a new boat similar to a 265 Express for anywhere near the cost of a repower, new tanks, new canvas, new electronics.

I understand your desire for fresh motors.
If your motors run they are worth a good deal of money to someone and that will offset some of the repower cost.

If you own it outright and like the boat and it fits your needs and you plan to keep it for at least 3 years, then repower is worth it.
Other considerations are condition of boat and fuel tanks.

Don't repower and refit it to sell it. Just sell it.

Several of us on this site have repowered our 265 with SuzukiDF200s and we love them.

https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/265-express-suzuki-df200apxw2.29099/

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As I mentioned above, unless you're stuck with the boat or have an emotional attachment to it, I'd sell it for as much as you can and buy a boat that's had a more recent repower... and likely for about what you'd be able to sell your boat for. I'd sell your current boat and look at something like this, along with buying a new trailer. 2016 outboards with only 425 hours on them and should get you up over 2000 hours if well taken care of. Just my thoughts on the matter, of course, it's your boat do what you want with it. Considering most of the used 265 Express's are in the $60k range though and a repower would likely cost close to that or more, I'd let someone else spend their money on the repower and then buy their boat instead.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
What is being left out of the equation when thinking of swapping boats - all the transaction costs of selling existing, and buying another boat. Assuming a broker would be involved. Also, you already know your boat, and it makes zero sense to sell if you are buying the same model again, as you now have to fix all the gremlins (known and unknown) on the new boat. Presuming you already like the electronics suite etc. on the boat, there is also the potential to either need to swap electronics on new boat or learn another brand.

Have to consider all the "soft" costs around swapping boats, and not just the hard costs.

Have gone through the same equation with my 330, and the repower for me makes far more financial sense than switching boats.

Value in repower is a funny thing. Not worth it for a couple of knots, not worth it for a shade better fuel economy for sure. Reliability, tough to value, but peace of mind 100 miles offshore has a value. As someone else said, if you love the boat, have kept up with the upgrades and maintenance, and will keep it for the foreseeable future, it makes sense.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
As I mentioned above, unless you're stuck with the boat or have an emotional attachment to it, I'd sell it for as much as you can and buy a boat that's had a more recent repower... and likely for about what you'd be able to sell your boat for. I'd sell your current boat and look at something like this, along with buying a new trailer. 2016 outboards with only 425 hours on them and should get you up over 2000 hours if well taken care of. Just my thoughts on the matter, of course, it's your boat do what you want with it. Considering most of the used 265 Express's are in the $60k range though and a repower would likely cost close to that or more, I'd let someone else spend their money on the repower and then buy their boat instead.

They only made 265s from 2000 to 2005. The OP has the newest one. I don't think there would be any point in trying to find a repowered 265. Repower is $40k. brand new motors/fly by wire/gauges..

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They only made 265s from 2000 to 2005. The OP has the newest one. I don't think there would be any point in trying to find a repowered 265. Repower is $40k. brand new motors/fly by wire/gauges..
$40k might be the cost for getting twin Suzuki 200's, depending on location, availability and so forth. That being said, if the OP wanted to go with Yamaha's, I don't think you'd be able to get twin 200's/225's for that $40k price, especially with fly by wire or digital controls. I look at it similarly to my boat, where I bought it for $26.5k and put the value of the boat at around $55k, or so. But, if I just randomly did a repower for no reason other than just to do so, and spend $25k-$30k on a new outboard then I've basically lost all of that "equity" that I have in the boat. To me, it makes more sense to sell, pocket the money and put that towards something else. Especially if a similar boat with a newer motor with fewer hours can be purchased for a similar price to what I sell my boat for. It's simple dollars and cents imo, and while yes I'm sure the value of the boat will go up some with a repower, if the above boat that I linked is anything to go off of, clearly it's not going to be worth everything that the previous owner put into it.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I bought my 2000 265 for 32k last year. Spent just under 40k for the repower. Sold the OX66 250s i pulled off for 6500, sold the 9.9 kicker for 1500, so I recouped some of that cost. Then all the electronics upgrades I've done, but also sold the old stuff and recouped some of that cost as well. So I'm in it about what I was finding repowered ones with 400-600 hrs for, like the one that is linked.

There is a little piece of mind knowing that I have new engines and know how they been treated and serviced.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2002 282 and am dropping her off on Thursday to have new Zuke DF250AP’s installed. My F225 Yamahas are at 2300 hours now, and it’s time to either move on or repower. They don’t make em anymore and I know where my gremlins live, plus the soft costs and selling/buying aggravation pushed us toward the refit.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought my 2000 265 for 32k last year. Spent just under 40k for the repower. Sold the OX66 250s i pulled off for 6500, sold the 9.9 kicker for 1500, so I recouped some of that cost. Then all the electronics upgrades I've done, but also sold the old stuff and recouped some of that cost as well. So I'm in it about what I was finding repowered ones with 400-600 hrs for, like the one that is linked.

There is a little piece of mind knowing that I have new engines and know how they been treated and serviced.
At $32k then yes, that's an easy decision to make, especially with it only being $40k for the repower and considering that used boats powered with older outboards are selling for similar prices. If it makes sense in terms of dollars and cents then absolutely go for it.

Last edited:

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a 2005 265 express with twin 225 Yamahas with 1600 hours on them. thinking of repowering. Do you think its worth it to repower
How long have you had it? Do you love it? With prices the way they still are, I vote for repower. I did it on my 330 and am into it for about as much as I could have gotten a rwpowered one for….a repowered one with several hundred hours on it. So I’m equal on the money but I have 8 years of warranty. I ran the boat for 2 seasons with the original 225’s and absolutely love the boats. No brainer.

When it’s time to move your boat down the road, it’s easier to get your repower investment out of a Grady due to brand reputation.

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about you buy this 265 for $47K and then transfer the newer Yamaha engines to your boat. Then sell the 2000 265 without engines for 10-15K.