restoration pics.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I wonder more about the UV protection. I recall Epoxy by itself has no UV protection and deteriorates in the sun pretty quickly, but does the varnish have any protection?
Depends on the quality of the varnish. They will include inhibitors into the mixture designed for uv protection.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I wonder more about the UV protection. I recall Epoxy by itself has no UV protection and deteriorates in the sun pretty quickly, but does the varnish have any protection?
So if I understood it correctly the WM special clear has a little so that is why I am top coating with varnish which has the uv protection. Hopefully with proper maintenance and uv inhibitors we can keep it looking decent for a while.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I’ve seen folks online use epoxy, so I hope it keeps that nice finish for you!
I think one of the benefits of spar varnish (I use epifanes too) is that it can flex a little if the humidity changes or it gets wet. With your epoxy coats, it may be sealed well enough to avoid anyways
Yes the hopes with the first step was to saturate the wood to begin with. Fingers crossed!
Btw is everyone aware of how well simple vinegar cuts epoxy resins or did I discover something. Much cheaper then acetone for clean up.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What do you guys think of the idea to use cork in these spots.
There were several choices but i bought a box of the stuff that looks like rod handle pattern or?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You could use a laminate instead. I did that on my transom and it has held up great and easy to keep clean.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Laminate? Like formica you mean. Interesting that thought will surely bounce around in head for a while as I am quite familiar with it and the choices available. Thanks, I think :)

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Really nice work. Admire your gumption!

And keep the pics coming.

Tx, Rob
thank you, I recently tried to upload some pics but they were to large I think my new phone may be the culprit. just about done with the cabin primer coats. weather is my biggest enemy, cloudy and cool mostly but I'm getting there.