restoration pics.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
so it got pretty hot in the cabin over the summer but I did get back at it. The sides have been foamed in bonding hull to deck. Then using 4" bi-directional glass tape I further bonded hull to deck. All undersides of deck have been cleaned, sanded, and glassed ready for fillers. The helm is getting there, I have enlarged what was the radio box to become the larger surface to mount screens and switches. below the new surface where the gauges used to be will become home to auto pilot, vessel view and any gauges I will need.
Next up, after the filler is underway I plan to prepare the location for all the new wiring, grounding blocks, fuse blocks etc. This idea is pretty trick I think and should use an underused space really well, I'm looking forward to starting that project. I feel like it is sorta a milestone once I get the glass work done in the cabin.
oh yeah, working on bow pulpit as wellF76AE41F-3B10-45D4-9C1C-50524A29CDBD.jpg

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
What did you do for the dash?
If I see it right did you put in a foam block to glass over the top and back of to give it shape. Then once it’s set up you carve away the foam?
That’s pretty slick !

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
yes sir, except one very important step. You must wrap the foam in plastic wrap so the epoxy doesn't stick to it. right now the foam is trapped in there but I plan on cutting the bottom of radio box out and attach a piano hinge to cut out pc and a catch to keep it closed. Then in this space I will install my wiring, terminal blocks, fuses and such. It will be the perfect place for neat wiring rather then under dash around steering wheel and where ever else it had to go. I am excited to get that going as that should really be trick. the radio box as it was from factory was mostly wasted space, now it will be used fully.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
went from to hot in there to needing heaters but I'm almost there. barrier coats is my goal but if I can I would like to get the gel coat on. A little more filler and a lot more sanding but its looking like something, IMO.

Reactions: PointedRose

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Awesome work. Fiberglass projects interest me. Love how you're using foam to make complex shapes. So what kind of plastic do you cover the foam with. Would it protect it from Polyester resin or just epoxy?

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
glad wrap, or the like. I think you can see the box in one of the pics, not sure. As this is my first time fiberglassing anything I am not sure how it would react with polyesters. As for the foam, yeah it has been really easy to work with but you need to get plastic tight where you will have finished surfaces so you do not have wrinkles to fill and sand. The epoxy and fillers have not been a small investment but doing the labor myself definitely makes it worth it to me. I feel like it has added value to the boat and once the electronics and wiring access doors are built and installed along with getting the original teak back in there it will really come together. Will be saving up for new cushions in there for sure!

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
65980923020__e84b5e38-42a9-414f-8b69-36835b7b5a6f-jpg.23816

Attachments

• 65980923020__E84B5E38-42A9-414F-8B69-36835B7B5A6F.jpg
    65980923020__E84B5E38-42A9-414F-8B69-36835B7B5A6F.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 336

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
very impressive, keep up the great work.