Robalo vs. Grady White

dmccorki

Reaction score
I am looking to acquire my first boat for use on the Eastern Shore of Md.
I know this is a Grady site but I have narrowed the choices down to the Grady 225 Tournament or the R227 Robalo. The local dealer, Tri State Marine, sells both boats similarly equipped--F250 engine, Raymarine electronics, etc., but the Grady is $8,000 +
higher, after all the discounts, rebates. Use will primarily be cruising the Bay and rivers, taking visitors for rides and maybe some minor fishing.
To a novice the Robalo seems to have a wider beam, deeper deadrise, longer running surface, and other pluses. Grady has reputation and better resale. All thoughts on benefits of Grady would be appreciated.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Both are good boats. For the purposes you describe (non-ocean, not much fishing), I'd go cheap. Just make sure your engine is top notch. Of course the Grady is better but it comes at a cost. The choice, ultimately, is yours. If you get the Robalo - might you have second thoughts after the purchase? If so, follow your instincts. Good luck!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Take a ride in both of them.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
First off I am a loyal buyer to myself. I purchase from the firm that builds the best design and best quality boat for my needs at the time when I am ready to purchase. In the past that was Pursuit, as of December it became GW because GW offered a better product for my wants and needs at the time I was ready to buy.

Next, from my observations over the years the fit, finish and overall quality of the GW is better than that of the Robalo. Look hard at the quality of components used on both boats and decide for yourself which is better. Look at how both companies finish below decks how they execute their through hull connections, wind shield installation, wiring, bimini hardware ect. Site down the hulls on both boats are they straight or does one wave at you.

On aesthetic design I like the look of the GW much better but that’s my opinion, yours is the only one that counts here. On practical design I see a major plus and minus to both boats, the Robalo has a walk through transom, the GW does not which to me is an absolute requirement, on the other hand the Robalo design looses a lot of valuable room with their transom design.

As for specifications, I agree on the beam width but do not know how you conclude that the wetted length on the Robalo is longer with an LOA of 21'6 against the GW with 22'2" plus the bracket? In the final analysis it does not matter, do not get all hung up on specifications of dead rise, beam and length, you’re splitting hairs at this level. Go drive both boats, sea trial both on the same day in the same conditions and put them through their paces. At the end of the day I guarantee that you will have your answer as to whether or not the GW is worth $8,000 more, no doubt about it.

dmccorki

Reaction score
I was focusing on the Grady when I noticed the Robalo on the dealer's lot. I am still leaning toward the Grady but I just want to make sure that Grady's reputation is worth the difference. Having looked at Pursuits, Regulators, Cobalts and even a Hinkley(my first sea trial before they told me the price!), the choices are somewhat overwhelming to a novice.

My specs, including wetted length, came from internet research which may be incorrect--the info suggested the running surface on the Grady was 19'9" which may have something to do with the bracket. Your comment on the transom walkthru was one of the differences I noticed, but having little experience I did not know how important that would be. I noticed the 275 Grady does have the walk thru, but for a first boat I thought a 225 would be a good starter. What does Robalo do with their transom design that you find to be a negative?

No dealer in the Chesapeake seems to be willing to provide sea trials in January, and I do not know if I have the experience to know the difference. I was trying to take advantage of pricing discounts and warranty extensions by making a decision in the winter.

I will take some time to examine fit and finish differences.

Thanks.

Brad1

Reaction score
You do not want to make a decision without sea trialing the boat. You will be MUCH happier with a better riding boat. And you never know what kind of "quirks" might show themselves when you get the boat out on the water.

Based on my experience, IMO one of the most (if not thee most) important criteria for selecting a boat is ride. If ride is most important, layout is a very close number 2. That's provided the boats being compared are both well constructed.

Who knows, you might come away liking the Robalo better.

striped bass

Reaction score
My wife and I were raised on the Chesapeake Bay and we now live in New England. We now have a GW Tournament 225 which we need for fishing at the Race and Watch Hill Reef were there is plenty of difficult water. For $8K difference in price I might go with the Robalo since you will have less turbulent water conditions on the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries. You will find the Robalo to have less interior space compared to the GW 225 Tournament since the GW has a bracket mounted F250. Moreover, omit the reclining port side bolster seat and get a Deluxe Captain Chair on the port side to match the starboard Captain's chair and you will have substantially more space for guests and still have plenty of seating capacity in the GW. If money were object the 225 Tournament is a more substantial vessel and you may have less trouble selling it when that time comes. Test drive both without question. There is a severe boating recession on which will only get worse so you should bargain hard with the dealership to extend what ever special deals they are now offering until the spring after you do the test drive. Also there are some very nice GW Tournament 225s on the Internet for sale some in your area (Deale MD). These are of recent vintage 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 so you might neutralize the dollar difference by checking out these boats. Good luck.

http://www.usedboats.com/powerboats/200 ... 570196.htm

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1784638/0
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_detai ... d=17908061
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_detai ... yid=403600
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_detai ... =106029121

dmccorki

Reaction score
Thanks all. Actually I was looking as some of the used 225s on Charles' list. The 2007 was sold out from under me last week while the salesman was showing me the boat. There is another 2007 for sale(not listed yet) with the dual seats Charles suggested with 54 hrs on the F250. Interestingly it is priced about the same as a 2008 227 Robalo.

striped bass

Reaction score
My suggestion is to offer at least 10 to 20 percent less than the asking price on ANY used GW boat as a starting point. That will make it more price competitive with the Robalo. Twenty to forty percent for other manufacturers. I also found that the GW 225 Tournaments move quicker than other vessels. I had two GW 225s sell out from under me as well. The public seems to really like the GW 225s. Having test drove many different makes and models before I made my purchase, I feel confident that you will love the GW 225 and not regret the decision if you go in that direction, price notwithstanding. Its a terrific boat!

gw204

Reaction score
A different animal, but have you checked out the Parker 2310? It's not a fancy as either the Grady or the Robalo, but IMHO it's a better built boat for less $$$.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
charles miller said:
My suggestion is to offer at least 10 to 20 percent less than the asking price on ANY used GW boat as a starting point. That will make it more price competitive with the Robalo. Twenty to forty percent for other manufacturers. I also found that the GW 225 Tournaments move quicker than other vessels. I had two GW 225s sell out from under me as well. The public seems to really like the GW 225s. Having test drove many different makes and models before I made my purchase, I feel confident that you will love the GW 225 and not regret the decision if you go in that direction, price notwithstanding. Its a terrific boat!

I too have had two 225s sold out from underneath me....including one this week. In both cases, they sold for only slightly less than asking price.

You need to be ready to buy, and hopefully find one locally. In both of my cases, the seller took a local deal over mine, even as I was ready to overnight a deposit check to him. Its frustrating......

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Here's one at my local marina....I know nothing about this boat but I'm sure it is clean.....Not too far away....Anyway...I won't be as polite as others. Comparing a Robalo to a GW is silly. Robalo makes an ok boat at an ok boat price. there is absolutlely nothing wrong with that and if it suits your needs it should perform ...Well...OK. GW is MILES above in terms of quality, performance of any kind, durability, and re-sale. You'll lose more than the 8K difference just on re-sale with the Robalo...But, if it fits your budget and does what you want it to who really cares? There are quite a few 225's coming to market now because owners are liking the new 275 and are trading up....My dealer sold 6 275's last year and several were 225 trade-ups. In any case if you decide to go with the GW this might fit the bill:

http://www.poemarine.com/index.ihtml?pa ... il&id=1760

SlimJim

Reaction score
Fishermanbb said:
Here's one at my local marina....I know nothing about this boat but I'm sure it is clean.....Not too far away....Anyway...I won't be as polite as others. Comparing a Robalo to a GW is silly. Robalo makes an ok boat at an ok boat price. there is absolutlely nothing wrong with that and if it suits your needs it should perform ...Well...OK. GW is MILES above in terms of quality, performance of any kind, durability, and re-sale. You'll lose more than the 8K difference just on re-sale with the Robalo...But, if it fits your budget and does what you want it to who really cares? There are quite a few 225's coming to market now because owners are liking the new 275 and are trading up....My dealer sold 6 275's last year and several were 225 trade-ups. In any case if you decide to go with the GW this might fit the bill:

http://www.poemarine.com/index.ihtml?pa ... il&id=1760
very very true. You forgot the Great Customer Service from Grady White as well. Resale is going to be like night and day when it comes time to upgrade or just sell.

dmccorki

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. This is certainly an interesting market.

The dealer just emailed me to say the second 2007 225, which I mentioned above was not even listed, has been sold. This one week after it was traded in. I never even got a chance to ask for a sea trial!

Fishermanbb, the dealers are "asking" lower prices for the 2007s in the Maryland area than the price listed on the site you noted. Maybe that is why they are selling so quickly.

Charles, the used 2007s seem be selling within 10% of the asking price.

Maybe new is the way to go since with all the discounts,etc the new 225s are about $8-9000 higher than the 2007s.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ve to add the custom hull solors and glam to steal some buyers away from other company's and compete. They do build a decent boat compared to other brands, but I have always felt their layouts left a bit to be desired. As mentioned before, the Robalo has less interior space. This is a fact on all of Robalo models. They do not compare well to other brands because there is so much wasted space, and I feel the transoms are a nightmare if you ever fish. I'be been on a 22 Robalo CC and did not like the ride, they are fast but not to my liking. Have not riden a 225 Grady but I have been on them at shows and loved the layout. Unless budget is a huge factor, I'd go for the Grady. Also, resale on the Grady will be way better then on the Robalo.

striped bass

Reaction score
My suggestion is to be patient and vigilant. The first year depreciation on any new boat is substantial so hold off if you can for a used 225. Even though some of the 225s you are tracking are selling the boating industry is in a recession so more 225s will appear on the market and you will have a choice. Yes, 10 percent less than asking price is about the range of used 225 sale prices. I purchased my 225 for 11 percent below asking price and I still got a trailer(with new tires), life preservers, dock lines, custom boat cover, and fire extinguishers with the purchase. I know since I looked for 6 months and the 225s kept coming on the market. The tactic is to pounce quickly with a "look see" yourself and/or have a professional surveyor waiting in the wings.

dmccorki

Reaction score
Thanks. I will keep looking locally. You know the Chesapeake market is overflowing with boats so maybe something will appear as quickly as they seem to sell.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We looked hard at used 225 boats, but ultimately decided that the price diff between a 3 year old and a new one wasn't so great considering the unknowns that inherently come with a used one.

The extra three years on the Yamaha warranty helped me over the fence too.

I certainly respect Tashmoo's position, but I am not as concerned about the walkthrough transom as he is. Maybe I will learn better as I enjoy our new boat, but I don't mind sitting on the transom and swinging my legs over.

The layout is just awesome in the 225. Another boat to look at as a comparison to the Robalo is the Hydra Sports Vector 2200DC.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If $ is the only issue, I'd agree with a few other posts here and maybe look for a used Grady. Just make sure it had extensive engine records and that all maintenance was performed at the correct intervals. If they were, you should have nothing to worry about when buying a used Grady. Also, the condition of the boat, how clean it was kept usually tells you how maticulous the owner was and how he treated the boat.

striped bass

Reaction score
dmccorki: Spread your geographical search beyond the Chesapeake if you can. I live in CT and bought my 225 in S.C. over the internet. I had the vessel surveyed by a profesional surveyor and then shipped north. Very clean and quick. This all happened during a one week period in October 2007. There are still several recent vintage 225s for sale in the NY/New England area. My guess is that you can get this one in Falmouth, MA for about $45K. The owner lives just north of NYC and she has lowered the price several times since posting last Sept.
http://www.usedboats.com/powerboats/200 ... 570196.htm

Also try this one in Freeport, NY for $45K as well. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1784638/0

I can refer you to an excellent boat hauler here in Old Lyme CT who will give the vessel TLC.
I assume that the 225 in Deale MD is gone.