Robalo vs. Grady White

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What your not considering is the variability in used boat pricing based on many factors, one old boat can sell twice the price of another, one can have a blown engine, soaked transom, another Katrina damage, on and on.

In that light, my insurer never asked nor demanded an appraisel, don't you think they should have if the concerns you mention are such? That's their responsibility.
How would they answer these questions in court before a judge?

I stated the value myself, they didn't object, end of story.

They had the right to visit the boat, if they wanted to, I didn't deny access.
Still don't. The address of the boat location is on the contract. You could walk in and visit my boat anytime.

As far as denying claims go, even toaster manufacturers want to automatically deny claims, thats why they and other consumer product manufs paint the screw heads on the cases.

I have a signed contract with the insurer, I did my part, they have their responsibility. What I paid for the boat is confidential, not their business. I could have paid $10 for it, does that mean it only can be insured for $10? Obsurd.

I'm not afraid of insurance companies, they compete for my business, they work for me.

The stated value stays the same on the annual renewals, how ironic, the value has not changed in 8 years. Do you think they care it has depreciated? It has, and I never told them about the repower.

So how can an insurance company not care about 8 years of depreciation, but care about the "stated price" details initially ? Rediculous.

If my boat goes down the drink and you are working for the insurance company, you will be waisting your time (and commission) figuring out how to deny my claim per contract terms, for the stated price. You can try though.

hinmo

Reaction score
Sold My Robalo

I sold my brand new Robalo R235 (2004) and bought a used Grady. Couldn't be happier. I bought the Robalo new, the boat was absolutely, beyond question the worse handling boat I ever owned (and I have owned quite a few). The workmanship and materials were mediocre at best.

In comparison, the Grady is built like a tank and handles like a breeze. The only thing the Robalo won on, was the cabin. For a 23ftr, it was the best I have seen. Other than that.....so glad to be rid of her. If you want details, pm or email me.

dmccorki

Reaction score
Hinmo
Just came back from comparing the Robalo 227 vs. the Grady 225 Tournament. I understand Robalo has a new owner and has improved its quality but the Grady did seem more solid to my novice eye.
As some on this site know, I have been having a challenge finding a used boat that stays on the market more than a week. A dealer asked that I drive a few hours to look at two boats but by calling I found out he decided to go the Baltimore boat show instead of waiting for me--much warmer in the convention center!

dmccorki

Reaction score
thanks slingshot. I have looked at those and are also pursuing a few that are closer to my home.

fish-n-fun

Reaction score
I own an older Robalo that was customized about three or four years ago. It is registered as 25' but now is about 30' It has twin 225s and it looks good and runs good. I live on Md's Eastern Shore but have a home on the Outer Banks of N.C. I bought the boat for my N.C home thinking I would be fishing offshore out of Oregon Inlet. After two years I haven't yet been to the Inlet. All my use is in the Pamlico Sound where it is too much boat. So, I have just put the boat up for sale. If it is of any interest to you I can go into more detail.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How is a 25' boat a 30'er?

gw204

Reaction score
Add a pulpit and bracket or graft a hull extension on a 25'er and you can easily have a 30'er.

Just like the current 282 Grady. It's really still a 25' boat, they just incorporated the bracket into the hull, called it a 28'er and charged more for it. :roll:

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not quite Brian... the 282 has 28' of running hull length... yes that includes the euro transom but how you configure your deck on top of the hull does not change the hull length. (example: having a notched transom(like the 265) vs a euro transom) Plus a lot of people like the euro transoms as a usefull part of the boat just like some people like the 30' express and some like the W/A better. If you add the pulpit to the 282 its overall length (not counting motors) is 30' 2"s. In my opinion Grady started updating their model numbers not to charge more but because all of their competitors were including not only their euro transoms but also their pulpits(which Grady, Pursuit & Whaler have not yet done) in the overall length giving the unsuspecting buyer the impression they were getting much more boat for the money.

gw204

Reaction score
You are correct about the running surface length, but IMHO that factor alone doesn't determine the size of the boat. The 282 has just as much (if not less) cockpit space as my 252. Everything else is exactly the same.

I think Grady missed the mark with the introduction of the eurotransom. They could have accomplished the same thing...and so much more....if they would have used the longer running surfaces in conjuction with flat transoms, transom doors and real brackets (not the Grady drive).

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Joe is correct. In fact the new 31' Pursuit 315 is only 1 inch longer then the 30' Marlin (30-7 vs 30-6). Perhaps after the next Marlin redesign it will be called a 31'. :lol:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The eurotransom on the 272 or 282 Sailfish takes up much more room lengthwise than my bracket, so I have more cockpit than the 282.

I thought I had more linear feet of cockpit rail (gunnel) for fishing than the 272/282 Sailfish and Marlin too !!! .

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My argument wasn't against the 25' Sailfish.... or trying to compare it to the 282. I was only giving my opinon on why Grady changed model numbers and also clear up the running length of the boat and that the pulpit isn't included. My slip mate had a 25' Grady and there were things I liked better about his and things I liked better about mine. His cockpit did look bigger than mine ... and I think his hull looked like it had more free board. I know my 1995 Islander had more freeboard than my 282. I personally wouldn't give up my euro transom for a bracket... and that is because I "use" my euro transom... especially when my wife and I are at anchor with friends. And right now it is the only option with a transom door.

BobP said:
The eurotransom on the 272 or 282 Sailfish takes up much more room lengthwise than my bracket, so I have more cockpit than the 282.

You may be right Bob... can you raise your motors all the way up(out of the water) without touching your stern bulkhead? My 282 had only about 3"s of clearance between the cowlings and the bulkhead when raised all the way. So the difference can't be that great. Some of the perception in cockpit space can be an "optical illusion" but I'm pretty sure the integrated seat in the 282 is wider than the fish box in the 252. That's probably where some of it went. The boat, in my opinion, with the best all around euro transom/stern bulkhead is the Boston Whaler Conquest. They have a fold down seat and 4 rod holders off the stern... which is great and they moved the fish boxes to the floor. But in doing this they created other problems... like a port berth that is only about 5'6" to 5'8" long.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Man, nothing like throwing a handgrenade in the room.

Boats with the eurotransom have usable space above the waterline where the bracket versions don't. So I can see it being called a larger boat. The 28 and 30 Marlins are the same overall length but the 30 has a longer running distance, new mold = new model (and more $).

I just can't see calling a 25' boat a 30' boat because of the pulpit and bracket.

jehines3

Reaction score
gw204 said:
You mean the 30' Marlin that's really only a 28' Marlin. :wink:

Unless you want a slip, than it is 32'-7" with my anchor I got charged for 33' for a night :? jh

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The arguments of boat length will go on until hell freezes over. It is hard to fault builders who use running surface however. If you start including pulpits and anchors then it does seem a bit misleading. An interesting case is the 282 (recall the Marlin has always had an integrated bracket).

The current running surface of a 282 is 28-0. 1991 the 252G had a centerline length of 25-4. There is clearly more fiberglass so in the case the boat was not simply "renamed".

As with all aspects of a boat design, eurotransoms are a tradeoff. The market seems to be heading in that direction in most cases so my guess is that many buyers prefer that design. I certainly do.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
HD Joe -

Just breakin chops I was, luv my 252G.

I have no use for the back door on the newer models, just leg it over the gunnel to the floating slip finger.

As far as tilting the engines, ironically my old Johnnies would hit the rub rail while leaving a few inches of gear case cone in the water. My HPDIs don't come close to the rubrail but run out of tilt range, in both cases the same amount of gear case cone stays in the water !
It's no big deal, I just spray the black Trilux 33 on the bottom after I do the brackets. I don't even bother with a tape line (or primer).

I feel same about Conquest, when at the NY show, I couldn't get a quote from either BW or Grady. I wonder why.

I wanted the front half of a Grady 30 ft Express, the rear half of a BW Conquest in Grady color gelcoat, and Zuke 300s instead of 800 lb. Yams or any Mercs.
And the three sided glass pilot house bridge enclosure from the Seaswirl 29 footer instead of the aluminun pipe and plastic windows of the Grady.

I guess I'll have to keep the 252G!!
-------------------------------------------

If anyone has my model and tells the marina the length, just say it is 25ft as grady calls it. Let the marina adjust it if they care to bother. The 25 ft never included the optional pulpit nor bracket. Side by side I'm the same length as a bracketed Parker 25 or Grady 272/282, from back of engine cover to tip of pulpit.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sounds good MegaB on the new Pursuit.

Guys down south can't stand glass bridge enclosures, just too hot. Up here much different.

I doubt three things about Grady, in my lifetime.

1. They will never streamline their eurotransoms since it means going underfloor with the fishbox even on their biggest, - a Grady no- no.

2. They will never offer the equivalent of the 3 or 4 sided "Alaska" molded fiberglass & glass bridge option package like the 29 ft. Striper/Seaswirl. It even looks good to me.

3. Never see anything but gas Yamaha outboard power plants.

I'm dissapointed Yamaha abandoned their customers in the single 300 / twin 600 4 stroke lineup as the 550 lb- Z300 used to fill, it follows leaving the 175 HP spot vacant too. Yamaha show factory reps told me many years ago - no plans for a F175, so they were true to their word. When the detuned F300 comes out, I guess they are done with further 4 stroke development and products.

I see no complaints on THT to speak of on Suzuki, and on Long Island similar number of Suzuki dealers vs. Yamaha.

Then again there's the Etec 175 and 300, can't imagine a max exodus back to 2 stroke. Suzuke to the rescue!
You never know, I like their boat pull infomercial where the etec 150 pulls under the F150 boat! Let them try that sh-t with an obsolete Yamaha V6 Z150 or Opti 150!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's interesting, my posts are being placed before the last one, must be privaleged !!