Rod holders

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I have a Canyon 306 2021 I would like to add some 2-4 rod holders. Can this be done with out running into wires etc in the gunnel?
Also where can I get Grady rod holders

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a Canyon 306 2021 I would like to add some 2-4 rod holders. Can this be done with out running into wires etc in the gunnel?
Also where can I get Grady rod holders

I put Burnewiin mounts and rod holders on my Grady and could not be more pleased. Take a look, you will not be disappointed.

Fishtales

Reaction score
#1 - yes.
#2 - why. GW rod holders are pretty substandard. Look at how they are made... If you're going to do it, get some quality holders.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you're looking for the Grady White factory or stock rod holders, they're fairly readily available online, though they used to be on Amazon and I couldn't find them on there just now after a very quick search. There is a person that has them on eBay though for $120 a piece, which I've attached the link to that below. Like Ryhlick suggested, I went with Burnewiin brand downrigger/rod mounts and couldn't be happier with them. I love the look and quality of them, though they are a bit more expensive than your standard rod holders. Here are a couple pictures of how I have mine set up.

Grady White Burnewiin.jpegGrady White Downrigger Mount.jpegGrady White Downrigger.jpegGrady White Downriggers Installed.jpeg

Reactions: Ryhlick

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
thankyou. I have aleady down loaded Burnewiin rod holder specs That’s the way I’m going.
Am I going to run into problems in the gunnel?

Reactions: Ryhlick

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There are wires going underneath the top portion of the gunwale, I believe on both sides, but for sure the starboard side of the boat, at least for me and my particular application. It really wasn't anything more than moving the wires out of the way by hand, though you might need to snip a few zip ties to get enough movement to get them out of the way when drilling. For my setup, I just pulled out the old rod holders that were towards the rear, enlarged the current hole on the gunwale because the Burnewiin's mount holes are slightly bigger. Then I drilled a single extra hole for each mount because the Burnewiin's have 4 bolts as opposed to the originals, which are only 3. All in all, it probably took less than an hour or so. If you know what you're doing, have the tools and the experience to do the job then it's an extremely easy project. Though, even if you don't much experience, it's still rather easy to do. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Gunnel rod holders are a super easy install. I added gunnel rod holders between the 2 factory ones on my 305. I used lee flush mounts, with backing plates. You should have great access and probably will not have to move any wires. Just remember to seal the hole in the gunnel really well with epoxy. I also mounted another holder on the transom between the cupholder and the cockpit shower. Again, I used a lee flush mount however I had to use washers as I couldn't fit the backing plate in.