Round deck plates - pop in or screw in?

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello - I’m due for some new deck plates as the 8” pop in round ones I have are leaking in places. The screw in ones look like they would be more watertight than my existing pop in ones but not sure if one has an advantage over the other. In any case only need 2 non slip ones and the other can be smooth.
Also - does anyone know where I can order the off white Grady sea foam coloured ones? Online I can only find white or black. Thanks.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I purchased 6” screw out plates in beige supplied by manufacturer below and am happy with results. I believe they are OEM manufacturer. Lots of venders to choose from.

Deck plates

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have noticed much less moisture since putting in the spin on hatches. I'm super happy with them.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The deck ones for inspecting fuel hoses I replaced old popout with new popout because spin ones can be a bear to unscrew
I replaced pop out with spin ones in the "motorwell". Worried they were at the waterline and could maybe popout in some imagined disaster.... I feeel safer.
I never open them so I'm not worried about how hard it will be....

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Either type should be get a bit of lube on the o-ring. I use frog lube but vasoline should be fine. Makes unscrewing easy.

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just ordered a combo of the spin (for motorwell area), and pop out for deck in matching Grady colors from Beckson. They are the OEM supplier to Grady. Super happy!

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Not as pretty but installed clear spin outs in the motor well to allow for a quick visual check of the bilge in case the float switch on the bilge pump fails. Also noticed less water in the bilge when running in heavy seas since installed the spin outs in the motor well.

seasick

Reaction score
I like spin-ons for better sealing but often they can be a bear to open, especially if not operated for extended periods time. It helps to have a special 'wrench' handy to get them off if stuck. That can be a piece of wood with a few dowels that match the 'finger holes'.