sailfish 252 fuel burn twin 225 ficht 2000's

B-Faithful

Reaction score
Re: oh well....

jimmy's marine service said:
did you call gw ?? if you didn't then why didn't you ??? fair question right ?? ask them why that boat carrys a 400hp max rating,ask them if they would claim liability if that number was exceeded... "

Liability for what???? Why dont you call them back and ask them if they will take liablity for a 15 year old Sailfish with twin 200's... My bet is that you get the same answer... :roll: :shock: :wink:

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your missing what they are liable for. If the plate on the boat is reassigned, Grady must ok it. If they were to do so, which will not happen, they then become liable for that boat under those conditions. Yes age is a factor here, but on a generally well kept boat it should be able to handle that hp years later. As the transom may deteriorate, it loses strength, so that factor of safety Grady had at one point is far less, pushing this engine package to a dangerous point. Now, obviously Grady will never ok this and become liable, especially on an older model, but even on a newer model if this situation occurred, Grady would not take responsibility and a new plate would not be issued for the boat.

As for your speed limit theory, it is apples to oranges. If you were talking about a worked muscle car I would agree with you, we are talking about power and design. Many car companies require cars to be surveyed, just like boats. If a shop sees the car has a tuned or altered engine, it usually becomes harder to insure. Yes there are those smaller companies who may, but either at a increased rate, since risk goes up, or at limited liability. Very often, insurance companies may insure it, but under conditions and when those are compromised, they are no longer liable. That is a fair comparison.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
B-Faithful said:
give me the EFI 225's over the Carbed 200's at similar weights regardless of what is on the sign.
(too bad some here need to obey all rules and signs to be safe.. Please just make sure you stay in the right lane on the highway :lol: )

well...you can have the efi 225's,however,i don't think you're gonna insure that rig any time soon,unless you know something i don't...which by the sounds of your replies you certainly think you do :roll:

as far as driving on the highway compares to overpowering a boat,how in the hell do you draw that comparison???
you just don't get this whole thing do ya ???
do yourself a favor,take my advice and call grady customer service tomorrow,tell them this whole story,then post the results of that conversation,ok ??? :wink:

TBone

Reaction score
Hey I'm no boat engineer, but it seems to me that exceeding the max HP rating is not good
I dont view it as a liability or insurance problem, i see it as a strength problem.

An analogy to adding extra horsepower to a car really doesnt seem to fit, but that being said, when i changed my 1969 Mustang from a 6 cyl to a bigger V8, it was COMMON knowledge if i beefed up the horsepower I need to put frame rail connectors on the sub frames. Why? because the added HP will comprmise the integrity of the frame and twist like a pretzel from a hard launch.

But i think there is a huge difference here, if my frame twists, I can pull over look underneath and say "huh, damn look at that", I dont think i would want to be a few miles out on the ocean blue and find out that my transom and stringers have failed, Im not that good of a swimmer and i would hate to donate my GW to the reef building program .:lol:

Again though not liking the analogy to cars, i see it more like exceeding the weight limit of a floor in your house. sure you can do it, but with your kids play room beneath, not really a good idea.

Why do they come up with ratings?, To meet the engineering integrity of the design, right?

Like i said i'm no engineer. but thats my two cents :idea:

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
gradyfish22 said:
Your missing what they are liable for. If the plate on the boat is reassigned, Grady must ok it. If they were to do so, which will not happen, they then become liable for that boat under those conditions. Yes age is a factor here, but on a generally well kept boat it should be able to handle that hp years later. As the transom may deteriorate, it loses strength, so that factor of safety Grady had at one point is far less, pushing this engine package to a dangerous point. Now, obviously Grady will never ok this and become liable, especially on an older model, but even on a newer model if this situation occurred, Grady would not take responsibility and a new plate would not be issued for the boat.

As for your speed limit theory, it is apples to oranges. If you were talking about a worked muscle car I would agree with you, we are talking about power and design. Many car companies require cars to be surveyed, just like boats. If a shop sees the car has a tuned or altered engine, it usually becomes harder to insure. Yes there are those smaller companies who may, but either at a increased rate, since risk goes up, or at limited liability. Very often, insurance companies may insure it, but under conditions and when those are compromised, they are no longer liable. That is a fair comparison.

If B-Failthfuls analogy is apples to oranges, that your's is applles to grapes. Because if you drive over the speed limit, whether on the highway, in your development, or in a school zone, you are breaking the LAW, and endangering the lives of others. But you say that's ok? Yet it is the LAW.

A boat over 20' in length has a ratings plate with SUGGESTIONS. Suggestions. Hmmmm. So if The speed limit signs on the highway said "Maximum Suggested Speed 55", and you were driving 65, what would you say if you were stopped, and ticketed?

You say that if we were talking about a worked muscle cars, then you'd agree. Well if we were talking about hanging 600 hp on that Sailfish, I also think everyone here would agree. But we are talking about 225's vs. 200's. Which is why the boat has not been a problem to insure. And yet a couple of motor-mouth know-it-alls will come on here and call others a liar. You'll make your silly phone calls to try to prop up your argument, but you are just making a fool of yourselves, and most on this board know it.

A boat owner, who has owned and operated his '93 Sailfish, as well as all his previous boats, accident-free, gets his insurance agent and dealer together, about what he wants to do and why. It would be reasonable to think that one of them would have also been in contact with the manufacturer. Why? Because that boat/motor package was insured with full coverage, no disclaimers or restrictions, for the standard premium for value insured.

So you can spend you days on the phone, making call after call, getting people to tell you what you want to hear, and it doesn't prove or change the fact that the RATINGS PLATE ARE SUGGESTED MAXIMUMS, and that boat has been insured for 10 years with those engines, by at least 3 different insurance companies.

Oh, and there was another comment about getting stopped by the CG with more people on board that the rting plate max. Wrong again. Even setting aside for a moment that the max ratings are suggested max and not absolute, the plates say x number of passengers or y pounds of weight. OK, so Coastie stops you, and you have 9 people on board, and the plate says 8. It also says or 'Y' pounds. Does the CG bring out their bathroom scale, and weigh everybody, to see if the total exceeds that suggested max? That's what I thought.

TBone

Reaction score
Capt BIll..."You say that if we were talking about a worked muscle cars, then you'd agree. Well if we were talking about hanging 600 hp on that Sailfish, I also think everyone here would agree. But we are talking about 225's vs. 200's."

This is a very good point, 200 vs 225, the hp numbers are the max output at certain rpms, do they really reach those hps in every day use, probably not. if you dyno'ed the two the hp and torque curves would probably look very similar, except the 225 would have a broader torque range.
Again i'm no engineer, but i willing to bet the 225 and the 200 would have very similar , (what would you translate rear wheel HP to in marine land), transom mount HP? :?

I dont know, I think Cabin fever is catching up on the site! :lol:
Come On Springtime!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the 200 and 225 have the same displacement, the torque curve is probably lower (marginally) on the 225 until 3500-4000. At wide open throttle, a properly tuned carb makes the same power as fuel injection. Let's say the max power is around 5200, the 225 has 25 more Lb/ft than the 200 (HP=Torque*RPM/5252).

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
Capt Bill said:
gradyfish22 said:

A boat over 20' in length has a ratings plate with SUGGESTIONS. Suggestions. Hmmmm. So if The speed limit signs on the highway said "Maximum Suggested Speed 55", and you were driving 65, what would you say if you were stopped, and ticketed?

And yet a couple of motor-mouth know-it-alls will come on here and call others a liar. You'll make your silly phone calls to try to prop up your argument, but you are just making a fool of yourselves, and most on this board know it.

A boat owner, who has owned and operated his '93 Sailfish, as well as all his previous boats, accident-free, gets his insurance agent and dealer together, about what he wants to do and why. It would be reasonable to think that one of them would have also been in contact with the manufacturer. Why? Because that boat/motor package was insured with full coverage, no disclaimers or restrictions, for the standard premium for value insured.

So you can spend you days on the phone, making call after call, getting people to tell you what you want to hear, and it doesn't prove or change the fact that the RATINGS PLATE ARE SUGGESTED MAXIMUMS, and that boat has been insured for 10 years with those engines, by at least 3 different insurance companies.

i'm gonna go out on a limb here,but i'm gonna guess you're talking about me, :wink:
truth is,you accused me of "allways having to be right",i don't have to allways be right,however,if i know i'm right,i will go as far as i can to prove the point...that's why i made a few calls...do you really think your insurance agent or insurance company actually called grady white,and these 2 companies actually had a conversation concerning your boat ??? you can't be serious...
you can play the game and state "suggested max hp" and all this other crap,truth is,the mfg doesn't reccomend more than 400hp,YOU in your wisdom :roll: as well as the dealer,hung a set of engines that exceed that max suggested hp...the mfg of the boat doesn't reccomend that much hp-get it ??? it's overpowered,if you're stupid enough to over power the boat,and a dealer is stupid enough to hang the engines,then how can you possibly argue the point ??? i made a few calls,you're absolutley correct,i got the answer i knew i would...how many of you guys called grady white ???
you "capt bill" state it's only a suggested max hp,with that,why didn't grady issue a capacity plate with 450max hp for YOUR boat ?? did you ask them ?? why didn't you ask them ??? after all you're "capt bill",and you only upped the hp by 50,what's the big deal ???
personally,i don't give a rats ass,what you have to say,YOU"RE WRONG,THE DEALER WHO HUNG THE ENGINES IS WRONG TOO,END OF STORY>>> it's kinda like "the boat was certified to be a charter boat " :roll:...the boat is over powered,you can't argue the point...
reading into what you say,it's only 50hp,what's the big deal ?? right ??? well big deal is,the total horse power exceeds the mfg's reccomended maximum...
the insurance companies i called,did you or anyone else call them and ask the same questions ???
all the information is there,if you doubt me,then step up and make a call to grady white and ask them,then call a few insurance companies,give them the information,don't forget to state the boat has been repowered to exceed the mfg's reccomended max hp,then,by all means,please post the results...i'm reading you guys attempting to discredit me,but i see no one backing up the discredit with something in writing from grady white or an insurance company,why is that ??? no offense to brian,but mabey this,as well as the price are the reasons the boat hasn't sold yet ??? anybody ever think of that ???
i deal with insurance companies,as well as surveyors,quite a bit,a large portion of my buisness is insurance,i'm no expert,however,i know what's gonna get covered and what's not...and a boat that has been overpowered,is asking for trouble....try again capt...and for your information,i hold a 100ton master's ticket,i'm also enrolled in a random drug test program,without being enrolled in a random drug test program,your ticket isn't worth the paper it's printed on...were you aware of that ???

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Before anyone else wants to continue this argument about the capacity plate, please read and comprehend the following:

Maximum Rated Horsepower
Horsepower Ratings and Questions Related to Them

All Boston Whaler boats manufactured and sold have been rated for a maximum horsepower. Some owners have chosen to install engines that exceed these ratings, and thereby raised several questions: How is the rated maximum power determined? Is powering above the rated maximum legal? Will dealers or service shops install an engine that exceeds the maximum rated horsepower for a boat? Can insurance coverage be purchased for boats powered above their rating?

How is the maximum rated power determined?

In response to a mandate from Congress contained in the Federal Boating Safety Act of 1971 (FBSA), the United States Coast Guard issued regulations covering small outboard boats and the maximum rated horsepower for them. The regulations bind the manufacturer to provide a capacity plate that shows the maximum rated horsepower for each hull.

The applicable regulations can be found in 33CFR183.53

My interpretation of those regulations is that the manufacturer must state the horsepower as no more than that computed under the formula, except, if the manufacturer conducts the performance testing procedure, the results of that testing can be used (with some qualifiers). However, the manufacturer is apparently free to state a lower rating if desired, and sometimes does. Note that the regulations only require ratings for monohull boats under 20-feet in length, but Boston Whaler has historically provided a rating plate for its boats longer than 20-feet as well.

The formula provided in the regulations reduces to:

(2 X L X W) -90 = rated horsepower

Where:

L=boat length
W=transom width; if the boat does not have a full transom,
the transom width is the broadest beam in the
aftermost quarter length of the boat.

The rated horsepower may be rounded up to the nearest "5".
Here is an example of how the rating formula works in practice, applied to an older Boston Whaler boat, the V-20 model:

Boston Whaler V-20
Length = 19' 10"
Width = 7' 5"

Thus:

(19.83 x 7.42 x 2) - 90 = 204.15
Rounding up = 205 maximum rated horsepower
In the case of the V-20/Outrage 20, from 1978 through 1985 Whaler chose to give it a maximum rating of 180-HP instead of 205-HP. Affixing rating labels which are lower than the rating permitted under the formula is common.

Is powering above the rated maximum legal?

The United States Coast Guard has an opinion on this frequently asked question, and their answer from their website is reproduced below:

Can I use a bigger motor on my boat than what it's rated for?

It is not a violation of Coast Guard regulations to install or use an engine larger than specified on the capacity label, but there may be state regulations prohibiting it, and restrictions from your own insurance company regarding this.

There are no Coast Guard regulations against exceeding the safe loading capacity, however, there may be State regulations or restrictions from your insurance company which prohibit this. There is a Coast Guard regulation that gives Coast Guard Boarding Officers the power to terminate the use of a boat (send it back to shore) if, in the judgment of the Boarding Officer, the boat is overloaded. There is no fine for this, unless the operator refuses the Boarding Officer's order We certainly hope that you will abide by the rating, as overloading may lead to capsizing or swamping of the boat.

NOTE: The Coast Guard Capacity Information label is required only on monohull boats less than 20' in length. The label is not required on multi-hull boats, pontoon boats (catamarans), or on any sailboats, canoes, kayaks, or inflatable boats, regardless of length.

As the Coast Guard mentions, local regulations may apply. For example, in the state of Ohio one should be guided by this regulation:
Capacity Plates
(ORC 1547.39 & ORC 1547-40)

No person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft in excess of any of the stated limits on the capacity plate. When no capacity plate exists, no person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft if a reasonably prudent person would believe the total load aboard or the total horsepower of any motor or engine presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property.

To help locate applicable law in your jurisdiction, you may find the website of the National Association of State Boating Law Agencies to be helpful. They provide a free guide to state boating regulations.

It should be noted that in some cases there are pamphlets or guidelines issued by state regulatory agencies that contain recommended practices which may propose higher standards than those actually contained in the state law.

Will dealers or service shops install an engine that exceeds the maximum rated horsepower for a boat?

It is not unusual for a dealer to decline to install an outboard motor on a boat where the motor exceeds the horsepower shown on the rating plate. This seems to be fairly common practice, particularly if the dealer is also selling the boat. On the other hand, it does not seem to be particularly difficult to locate a service shop or facility that will install a motor which exceeds the rating plate horsepower. Most states do not appear to license the profession of installing outboard motors, so there does not seem to be any particular regulatory difficulty in performing this service. Many dealers who decline may cite risks of liability, but in most cases they already have insured themselves against such liabilities and claims. Separating the sale of the motor from the installation of the motor seems to make it easier to find a dealer or service shop willing to make such installations.

Can insurance coverage be purchased for boats powered above their rating?

Boats equipped with engines whose horsepower is above that shown on their rating plate can be insured, but often at greater cost than for the same boat with engines conforming to the horsepower limitation. It may be necessary to change insurance companies, as some will decline. At this writing it is known that the Traveller's Insurance Company will write policies covering boats with engines that exceed the rated horsepower, although they do charge more than for the same boat with engines conforming to the horsepower limitation.

It is important to disclose the horsepower of your engine(s). Usually an insurance policy will contain the serial number of the specific engine being covered and its horsepower. Misrepresentation of the engine horsepower would be a fraud and could result in lack of coverage. Some insurance companies raise the cost of insurance in proportion to the boat's maximum speed.

Other Resources
For more information and previous discussion on this topic, please see the following archived articles from the forum:

Implications of HP in Excess of Rating
Exceeding Max HP Rating
Maximum Horsepower Capacity: Classics Versus New Classics
Comments or Questions
If you have a question or suggestions about the content of this article, please post to the linked message thread in the PERFORMANCE forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
continuousWave --> Whaler --> Reference

DISCLAIMER: This information is believed to be accurate but there is no guarantee. We do our best!

The page has been accessed 31029 times.

Portions Copyright © 2003 by James W. Hebert. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited!

This is a verified HTML 4.0 document served to you from continuousWave
URI: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ratedHP.html
Last modified: Saturday, 26-May-2007 09:14:06 EDT
Author:James W. Hebert
This article first appeared March 21, 2004.

color highlights were added for emphasis

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
Capt Bill said:
Before anyone else wants to continue this argument about the capacity plate, please read and comprehend the following:

Maximum Rated Horsepower
Horsepower Ratings and Questions Related to Them

All Boston Whaler boats manufactured and sold have been rated for a maximum horsepower. Some owners have chosen to install engines that exceed these ratings, and thereby raised several questions: How is the rated maximum power determined? Is powering above the rated maximum legal? Will dealers or service shops install an engine that exceeds the maximum rated horsepower for a boat? Can insurance coverage be purchased for boats powered above their rating?

How is the maximum rated power determined?

In response to a mandate from Congress contained in the Federal Boating Safety Act of 1971 (FBSA), the United States Coast Guard issued regulations covering small outboard boats and the maximum rated horsepower for them. The regulations bind the manufacturer to provide a capacity plate that shows the maximum rated horsepower for each hull.

The applicable regulations can be found in 33CFR183.53

My interpretation of those regulations is that the manufacturer must state the horsepower as no more than that computed under the formula, except, if the manufacturer conducts the performance testing procedure, the results of that testing can be used (with some qualifiers). However, the manufacturer is apparently free to state a lower rating if desired, and sometimes does. Note that the regulations only require ratings for monohull boats under 20-feet in length, but Boston Whaler has historically provided a rating plate for its boats longer than 20-feet as well.

The formula provided in the regulations reduces to:

(2 X L X W) -90 = rated horsepower

Where:

L=boat length
W=transom width; if the boat does not have a full transom,
the transom width is the broadest beam in the
aftermost quarter length of the boat.

The rated horsepower may be rounded up to the nearest "5".
Here is an example of how the rating formula works in practice, applied to an older Boston Whaler boat, the V-20 model:

Boston Whaler V-20
Length = 19' 10"
Width = 7' 5"

Thus:

(19.83 x 7.42 x 2) - 90 = 204.15
Rounding up = 205 maximum rated horsepower
In the case of the V-20/Outrage 20, from 1978 through 1985 Whaler chose to give it a maximum rating of 180-HP instead of 205-HP. Affixing rating labels which are lower than the rating permitted under the formula is common.

Is powering above the rated maximum legal?

The United States Coast Guard has an opinion on this frequently asked question, and their answer from their website is reproduced below:

Can I use a bigger motor on my boat than what it's rated for?

It is not a violation of Coast Guard regulations to install or use an engine larger than specified on the capacity label, but there may be state regulations prohibiting it, and restrictions from your own insurance company regarding this.

There are no Coast Guard regulations against exceeding the safe loading capacity, however, there may be State regulations or restrictions from your insurance company which prohibit this. There is a Coast Guard regulation that gives Coast Guard Boarding Officers the power to terminate the use of a boat (send it back to shore) if, in the judgment of the Boarding Officer, the boat is overloaded. There is no fine for this, unless the operator refuses the Boarding Officer's order We certainly hope that you will abide by the rating, as overloading may lead to capsizing or swamping of the boat.

NOTE: The Coast Guard Capacity Information label is required only on monohull boats less than 20' in length. The label is not required on multi-hull boats, pontoon boats (catamarans), or on any sailboats, canoes, kayaks, or inflatable boats, regardless of length.

As the Coast Guard mentions, local regulations may apply. For example, in the state of Ohio one should be guided by this regulation:
Capacity Plates
(ORC 1547.39 & ORC 1547-40)

No person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft in excess of any of the stated limits on the capacity plate. When no capacity plate exists, no person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft if a reasonably prudent person would believe the total load aboard or the total horsepower of any motor or engine presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property.

To help locate applicable law in your jurisdiction, you may find the website of the National Association of State Boating Law Agencies to be helpful. They provide a free guide to state boating regulations.

It should be noted that in some cases there are pamphlets or guidelines issued by state regulatory agencies that contain recommended practices which may propose higher standards than those actually contained in the state law.

Will dealers or service shops install an engine that exceeds the maximum rated horsepower for a boat?

It is not unusual for a dealer to decline to install an outboard motor on a boat where the motor exceeds the horsepower shown on the rating plate. This seems to be fairly common practice, particularly if the dealer is also selling the boat. On the other hand, it does not seem to be particularly difficult to locate a service shop or facility that will install a motor which exceeds the rating plate horsepower. Most states do not appear to license the profession of installing outboard motors, so there does not seem to be any particular regulatory difficulty in performing this service. Many dealers who decline may cite risks of liability, but in most cases they already have insured themselves against such liabilities and claims. Separating the sale of the motor from the installation of the motor seems to make it easier to find a dealer or service shop willing to make such installations.

Can insurance coverage be purchased for boats powered above their rating?

Boats equipped with engines whose horsepower is above that shown on their rating plate can be insured, but often at greater cost than for the same boat with engines conforming to the horsepower limitation. It may be necessary to change insurance companies, as some will decline. At this writing it is known that the Traveller's Insurance Company will write policies covering boats with engines that exceed the rated horsepower, although they do charge more than for the same boat with engines conforming to the horsepower limitation.

It is important to disclose the horsepower of your engine(s). Usually an insurance policy will contain the serial number of the specific engine being covered and its horsepower. Misrepresentation of the engine horsepower would be a fraud and could result in lack of coverage. Some insurance companies raise the cost of insurance in proportion to the boat's maximum speed.

Other Resources
For more information and previous discussion on this topic, please see the following archived articles from the forum:

Implications of HP in Excess of Rating
Exceeding Max HP Rating
Maximum Horsepower Capacity: Classics Versus New Classics
Comments or Questions
If you have a question or suggestions about the content of this article, please post to the linked message thread in the PERFORMANCE forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
continuousWave --> Whaler --> Reference

DISCLAIMER: This information is believed to be accurate but there is no guarantee. We do our best!

The page has been accessed 31029 times.

Portions Copyright © 2003 by James W. Hebert. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited!

This is a verified HTML 4.0 document served to you from continuousWave
URI: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ratedHP.html
Last modified: Saturday, 26-May-2007 09:14:06 EDT
Author:James W. Hebert
This article first appeared March 21, 2004.

color highlights were added for emphasis

ok,why don't you call grady white and explain this to them... :roll: mabey after you get done doing that,you can call boat us and explain this to them as well...
this means absolutley nothing...try again there cappy... :roll: and be sure to show me something in writing from grady white,stating "it's ok to exceed the maximum horse power rating on the capacity plate",till you produce that,YOU'RE WRONG....YOU AND THE DEALER WHO HUNG THOSE ENGINES ARE WRONG... :wink: seems like you're the one who's trying to be right all the time,truth is,you're comming up empty...

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Jimmy, you're just full of insults, aren't you?

Here's an excerpt from Florida law, regarding boating and safety:

Article 1.4.4 Florida Maximum Loading and Horsepower
In Florida, no person may operate a monohull boat of less than 20 feet in length while exceeding the maximum weight, persons, or horsepower capacity as displayed on the manufacturer's capacity plate.

http://www.boaterexam.com/usa/florida/education/c1-the-boat.aspx

Here's the actual Florida law on the subject. Scroll down about halfway, to Capacity Plates.
http://myfwc.com/boating/safety/law_summary.htm

Again, as I said many times before, I am NOT condoning or advising anyone to exceed the capacity plate, but when I did, I has the blessing of my insurance company, and was not breaking any laws here in this state. I never disputed that 'some other state' might pass some more restrictive laws. I simply stated that when it was done on my boat in 1998, I was in compliance with the laws in place here, and was properly documented and insured. Mr. Hundred-ton Wonder just don't seem to get that.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
Capt Bill said:
Jimmy, you're just full of insults, aren't you?

Here's an excerpt from Florida law, regarding boating and safety:

Article 1.4.4 Florida Maximum Loading and Horsepower
In Florida, no person may operate a monohull boat of less than 20 feet in length while exceeding the maximum weight, persons, or horsepower capacity as displayed on the manufacturer's capacity plate.

http://www.boaterexam.com/usa/florida/education/c1-the-boat.aspx

Here's the actual Florida law on the subject. Scroll down about halfway, to Capacity Plates.
http://myfwc.com/boating/safety/law_summary.htm

Again, as I said many times before, I am NOT condoning or advising anyone to exceed the capacity plate, but when I did, I has the blessing of my insurance company, and was not breaking any laws here in this state. I never disputed that 'some other state' might pass some more restrictive laws. I simply stated that when it was done on my boat in 1998, I was in compliance with the laws in place here, and was properly documented and insured. Mr. Hundred-ton Wonder just don't seem to get that.

show me something from ANY boat mfg,that states,it's ok to put more than their max reccomended hp on their boat,can you do that ???

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Why do some diesel boat owners opt to repower with larger diesels? Are they all driving around uninsured and negligent? How about some of the go fast boats that guys put on blowers or stroke the motor? And these guys ARE going to use the boat to the max. Just FYI, when I was looking at boats and found a 92 sailfish with twin 225 rudes I called BOAT US and they did say they would insure me and I even got a quote. The loan company, also did not have any problems with financing an overpowered vessel. I ultimately did not purchase this boat but I did have the OK by the finance and insurance companies.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Great stuff posted hear for entertainment, but othewise it is internet crap. Lets see some case law references to increased liablity specifically related to exceeding and CG rating. Just like the signs shops have prohibiting customers in the shop for insurance reasons, which also is not true.

It is a red herring to say GW will not approve exceeding the limit. Of course they will not. No reason to. You can insure the referenced boat, and this has been proven by the current and former owner. I keep reading here that you can not. Wrong again.

This so called overpowering discussion pops up on internet boards frequently, and the above from CWave is a good example. It is unclear if you may be cited by some over zealous marine patrol, but otherwise there is no CG reg that requires fines or increased mythical liablity.

Ironically there is reference made to New Jersey Marine patrol boats running 115 HP engines on 17 Montauks rated for 100 HP. LOL....

I now own a boat that I had overpowered at one time and had no problem with insurance.

A comparison to vehicles has been made. Vehicle manufacturers do specify requirements that do get exceeded such as load and towing capacity and tire size. These do get exceeded, accidents happen and insurance is still not voidable because of it.

I have a Jeep that has non OEM equipment that violates specific maximums for tires and lift height per the manufacturer. My liability insurance is still valid.

If I call Jeep and ask them if it is ok to lift my Wrangler and install larger tires, just like GW cs they will of course say no. My owners manual also states that it is not approved.

Unfortunately I think many of these posts show a lack of class. There are many ways to make your point, but it seems the art of doing that with tact respect for a fellow GG member is too difficult for some. Personal attacks are easy from the keyboard.

I am done with this post.. I will never even view it again. :lol: :lol: No, just kidding, no one really does that. It is the internet, it does not really matter anyway.

Now someone do some valid legal research and give me some facts. This speculation is just a bunch of drama.

TBone

Reaction score
Ummm, boat tag states max HP. anything over that is out of spec. Therefore HP over that rating compromises structual integrity of the hull and transom/stringers.
Jimmy is right ! F-ing end it!!!!!!! :twisted:
That is why the tag is there right? To tell the consumer what to use?

johngw

Reaction score
Now I see why Jim is so smart. He carrys a 100ton master ticket. :lol:
Most people that promote that they hold a captians ticket means they know nothing. Anyone can get a ticket easy these days. Any ticket is not worth much in my book.

Bill thanks for posting the info. Another one of many post that Master 100 ton is wrong on. :shock: