Scupper hose replacement

TBone

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well Im awaiting the arrival of my new thru hulls, scuppers and cockpit drains.

I ended up with the Attwood scuppers and thru hulls from Discount marine, and I ordred the cockpit drains direct

from SouthCo over the phone.

Now, when I install them, does anyone have a recomendation on what type of hose to use?

Im hesitant to use the same type that was in there due to the fact it was so dry rotted and brittle.

That is was failed on my boat in the fall.

I want to use something different that will last a lot longer.

And I dont want to be doing this again.

What would be some alternatives?

Thanks,

Tony L.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Use what you took off of them.

Hoses typically have a service lifetime of 5-7 years. Throw in some deck cleaner from time to time and I think the hose held up very well considering you got twice the expected lifetime out of them.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady used the same Lawrence 1.5 inch diameter hose on the scuppers as the fuel tank (A1 or A2?) vent hose on my boat, and it was perfect when removed this year, 17 yrs being on the boat.

I don't know the difference between fuel vent hose and exhaust hose, but I already had plenty of fuel vent hose from the yamaha oil tank remote fills that I discontinued use of, so reused it. Double clamp both ends.

Make sure whatever you buy has a brand on in with labeling, don't buy any hose with no markings on it irrespective of claims by whoever is selling it. The only hose that deteriorated to crap on my boat was a LW/fishwell drain with no markings on it whatsoever. The hose internal turned to black goo at the thruhull, and the hose was rock hard in cold weather but softens readily when heated, not reflective of quality composition, in my opinion.

blackgrady

Reaction score
home depot has the hose. its clear so you can see if they get backed up by anything. they also have a woven nylon reinforcement as opposed to the metal, so when you do go to replace them again it will be alot easier. i bought the last 10ft of roll they had for 10 cents a foot. maybe you can find a similar deal!

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
blackgrady said:
home depot has the hose. its clear so you can see if they get backed up by anything. they also have a woven nylon reinforcement as opposed to the metal, so when you do go to replace them again it will be alot easier. i bought the last 10ft of roll they had for 10 cents a foot. maybe you can find a similar deal!

2nd this one.

mronzo

Reaction score
I just replaced a transom thru hull on my 265 Express. I also replaced the scupper hose too, it was black exhaust type hose with wire in it

richie rich

Reaction score
if the deck drains/thru hulls are at the waterline, especially when under load, ABYC requires the use of re-enforced hose like the engine exhaust hose type. It has a wire or even plastic coil (in the new ones) in the hose that prevents collapsing even when there is dry rot since its not a pressure application. Per ABYC, if you don't use this type of hose, you have to have a seacock on the inside where it comes through the transom in order to shut off incoming water should the cheaper hose fail. Home Depot stuff is not marine rated or recommended. If you get boarded by the Coast Guard and they spot this, you'll get a citation.....don't be cheap with hoses, the right one can save your life.

TBone

Reaction score
Richie, yes that what I mean. Im looking to upgrade from what was there, not cheaper.

I only want to do this once.

One of the originals failed (Lawrance) on she started to take on water.

Im looking for something even better, maybe a newer material since 1994?

richie rich

Reaction score
The clear stuff from Home Depot is not what's recommended for this application. Those see through hoses are for easy access drains above the waterline like your shower or cooler drains or fish box drain. The applications at or below the waterline are critical. The proper hoses to use are rated and have wire reinforcement. Trident makes a quality hose. Their model 100-114 helix reinforced hose at 1-1/4 dia is rated for the new ABYC standards. If you need a bigger size, 1-1/2 and up use their model 250-112 flex wire reinforced wet exhaust hose with "hardwall" not softwall. The softwall has no reinforcement. Both of these hoses cost about $9.00/foot. Use the same type for your raw water washdown pump as its the only thing keeping water from filling your boat between the pump and the pick-up tube. Do not use marine fuel vent hose in these applications or vice versa. They may look the same, but fuel hoses are made specifically to deal with solvents...the others for temperature....they are not interchangeable. A1 is the small fuel supply, A2 is the vent.

All hoses need to be changed out, they don't last forever. They should be checked every season. I bought my 88 Sailfish in 2004 and all the hoses had dry rot. Even the corrugated bilge hose which looked good, fell apart in my hands when I went to neatly wire tie it in the transom. I replaced them all. Since then the hoses have looked good, 5 years, so by experience alone, I figure they should last 10 before being changed out again.

Remember to use new stainless steel clamps and you must double clamp at or below the waterline by rule. Its good insurance. Look at Defender.com for good prices and stock. I have found them to be the best around.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For the 10' of hose you need (for models with 4 scuppers), that is not a place to skimp on the $.

TBone

Reaction score
Grog said:
For the 10' of hose you need (for models with 4 scuppers), that is not a place to skimp on the $.

not looking to skimp, actually looking to up grade from the original, I will pay top $$$$ cause im never gonna do themm again!

blackgrady

Reaction score
I didnt mean to mislead anyone, I just learned something new. :oops: I will be changing them out this weekend then. Now what am I going to do with this useless roll of clear hose?

I have fuel hose left over from replacing the tank fills. would this be acceptable? Its the marine below deck hose with the metal reinforcement.

TBone

Reaction score
sell the clear hose to some frat kids, Im sure they could make use of it this spring!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

richie rich

Reaction score
Is it marked A1 or A2 marine fuel hose or just "below deck exhaust or intake" hose? The construction may be the same, ie, rubber thickness and metal coil reinforcement, but the rubber compound itself is the big difference....you definitely can't use the exhaust hose for fuel fill....not sure what the risks are using fuel fill for a water drain application. It will probably work for a while but I don't think anyone can safely recommend it or is willing to take the liability. If you do use it, make sure you check it on a regular basis. You can also call the manufacturer and see what their tech service people say??? The Coast Guard could answer that question as well....give them a call. They can't give you a citation over the phone ! :)

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If that job really sucks that bad, is there a silicone hose with a wire support? Silicone hoses last a LONG time but I'm not sure if the animal exists.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Black , thats what Grady used perhaps not in all cases, it's construction is mutiply and reinforced, and it is not cheap, I bet it is better material than exhaust hose, perhaps not by much. Perhaps exhauset hose can take higher temps then fuel hose, but we are not using it for exhaust hose.

You can find the hose manufacturer's website and email their customer sevvice that question, make sure you say you have new quality fuel hose left over and want to use it for a scupper drain, hopefully they don't have a flunky summer intern at the keyboard but instead give you the expert full dope.

blackgrady

Reaction score
surely will do. Again, I appologize for the response I had no intentions of misleading anyone. I think you might be right about the beer bong application, in fact, maybe I will see what I can do with it :lol: . I wouldn't see what harm would come of using fuel fill hose for the scuppers, but I will certainly explore it.

Sidenote, I'm going to take pictures of the bracket we made for the transom and start a new thread, I might have found a new business :lol:

JeffN

Reaction score
When I replaced my fish box drain recently and was looking for hose in the catalogs most times the clear stuff was labeled not for use below the waterline or something similar. My drain thru hull is at the waterline so the hose always has water in it. In addition when looking for thru hulls the SS ones were also marked not for use at or below the waterline, I went with bronze. I used the wet exhaust hose. Looks just like the stuff that came out. It probably cost me $20 or $25 to use the correct hose. Cheap insurance.