Scupper screen to prevent clogs?

pda

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Freedom 205, 2016

I seem to get clogs in my scupper tubes about 4 times a season. It is a pain to keep these clean and feels like a safety issue. We seem to be getting clogged with dog hair, pine needles, and fishing stuff.

Is there any sort of screen or filter I can attach on these to prevent the clogging?

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpeg
    IMG_1487.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 29

seasick

Reaction score
All that does is cause the crap to pile up on the screen. At least without screens some stuff like leaves can pass through the scuppers. When you hose off the deck, every so often put the nozzle up against the drain and flush the scupper. This is true for all the drains, deck, lockers and cabin, not just transom.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have these on my sailboat scupper drains (interior side) but have not seen on motor boats (for the reasons seasick mentioned)

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
My deck drains also get clogged up. In addition to the aforementioned blast em with the hose method, I carry a length of 3/8" flexible plastic tubing that bends with the curves of the drains but is rigid enough to work like a pipe cleaner for those really stubborn clogs.

Reactions: Angler Management

pda

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Thank you everyone, I'll report back with what I decide on!

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I actually had screens built in on the scuppers drains I used, I ended up removing them with a dremel. It really slows the flow of water out of the boat. Agree with others above, just blast the hose thru them before / after each run.

Reactions: Angler Management