Sea Dek

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Y'all:
I am completing adding Sea Dek material to my swim platform. So, have any of you used it? Any feedback welcome. thanks

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Smoky,

We haven't installed it yet, but we went the template-kit to custom cut faux teak route with our Sailfish 282 for the cabin steps and interior floor. We'll have some photos to follow, but so far the experience has been substantially positive working with Seadek (the company).

I can say the material looks great and feels fantastic under-foot.

The layout we chose sort of mimics the teak-and-holly look of the 2005 and newer 282 Sailfish, which have sort of a woven tread nonskid on the steps and the plywood sole cover. We went with three separate pieces in the sole area so that we maintain the ability to pull the sump cover entirely, or just remove the screw out deck plate each time we use the head.

More pictures soon.

Bob.

Attachments

• IMG_2034.jpg
    IMG_2034.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,137

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
IMG_2034_zpsjvpknnzg.jpg

Reactions: jimever

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would like to put the seadeck on my full swim platform, but have some concerns with it.

1. The grooves that run entire width will not allow the seadeck to fill so water and grime will get underneath these channels. Not a good thing.
2. The engine harness hoses will rub on the seadeck and over time, have to believe it will wear down and not look very good/damaging to the seadeck.

To remedy number 1 above, I would have to remove the platform, sand down the surface and fill in the grooves, then re-gelcoat a smooth flat surface. I just restored the platform a couple years ago and still looks pretty good, but the platform takes a beating with the saltwater and sun, so trying to keep the gelcoat looking good is a real job! Would be easier if it was covered with seadeck.

So still not so sure I want to pull the plug on this work effort. I wonder if anyone else has this same issue to overcome?

I would like to do the same in the cabin though for steps and sole!

buguy

Reaction score
I would love to cover the deck of my 230 Gulfstream for family comfort, but I wonder how hard it would be to hose out debris and hopefully soon fish yuckyness.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
When you get the sea deck installed post up photos. I'm wanting to do the same thing to my Marlin down in the cabin.

With the DIY sea deck kit. Do you make the template and send it to them for cutting and they send you the cut pieces?

Nick

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Finally got back to the boat today. So I read the instructions, brought my windex, acetone, and a small vacuum to make the surfaces really clean, and got to it.

The results that you can get on your own, taking your time, working with a partner on the template process, is pretty cool. There are one or two spots where I can see that distortion, either caused by deflection of the mylar, or my poor artistic skills, keeps me from hitting all the lines just perfectly . . . but I'll never tell!

Overall an excellent process working with SeaDek, as long as you're not in a rush. If anyone with a 282 Sailfish, probably 2001-2005 at least, wants to leverage this template and layout, PM me for the individual part numbers that were labeled on each piece, as well as the contact at SeaDek who worked with my process.

Will probably post back to this thread at end of season with feedback from use, cleaning, durability, and what the wife thinks!s

Bob.

Attachments

• IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,994
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,991
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,996
Reactions: ilmmct and jimever

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
I missed some questions there. So the process went like this:
- we ordered the template kit with 2 sheets of mylar, just in case we seriously had issues and needed to start from scratch.
- we took our time taping down the mylar, and tracing/drawing as carefully as possible, with lots of feedback and second set of eyes from my wife/boat partner
- we mailed back the templates
- SeaDek got back to us with a quote and a timeline, which breaks the template digitizing/drawing work out separately from the actual cutting
- They sent us drawings and took some money, including measurements, so I could validate the layout and shape sizes was approximately correct
- I authorized them to do the cutting
- They cut out the material shapes, packaged them up, and shipped them to me
- I installed

Reactions: ilmmct

liinw8

Reaction score
Bob - how much did the materials cost? I'm thinking of doing this for my '99 Marlin. I'm also looking at some other options like NautikFlor, which looks great but it only comes in planks which need to be cut. Also, if anyone has worked with any of the companies and already had a template done please let me know since that might make the selection and process easier. Thanks, Ed.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
The whole process was $38 for the template kit (with two sheets of mylar), and then $419 total for the digitizing, drawing/draft, material, and their cnc cutting service and shipping to my home address. Expensive? Dunno yet, but inside the cabin I'm going to amortize that over 5 years and call it a pretty nice upgrade to the boat. And if/when I have an issue, they already have the digitized drawings on file, so it should be a matter of ordering a part.

But I'm satisfied so far!

Bob.

Reactions: ilmmct

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree - it looks great.
Thanks for sharing....

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
So I wanted to just revisit this topic over 2 years later. Elizabeth and I are still logging over 150hrs per season on the 282, and we have a variety of activities and outings on the boat, from fishing in the rain to fun with friends in the sun.

I have dedicated at least 1 solid scrubbing of the seadek areas down below per season, with the occasional sweeping/vacuuming when I remember. The downsides are that the embosed/cut faux teak pattern does capture as much crumb and clutter as is allowed to make it's way down below. The up-side is that after more than 2 years of tramping around with salty wet bare feet, I still have no regrets. It still cleans up good as new with a bit of fresh water and a good scrubbing with a moderate brush and some Roll-Off cleaner after a whole season of abuse.

No adhesion issues, no discoloration, no permanent stains. A couple of peers here have reached out for the part numbers for the original drawings, I hope others have had success with this as well!

Bob.

Reactions: Jonah and Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the follow up. I'm using a rubber backed door mat that I cut to fit my cabin floor, hadn't even thought about using SeaDek.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up. I think that was a good update.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
So, first a disclaimer; our hull was an unmodified 2002 282 Sailfish. These drawings may or may not fit any other year 282 prior to or after, and might not meet your expectations. But we did enjoy it thoroughly while we still had the boat, which has since sold. Just wanted to memorialize this in the thread since it's one of the common things I get messages about.

SeaDek Job Number: 3615

Nested item #1 (forward cabin sole section)
SPN: M-GYW-24962-80095-01

Nested item #2 (cabin sole bilge cover)
SPN: M-GYW-24962-80095-02

Nested item #3 (aft cabin sole section)
SPN: M-GYW-24962-80095-03

Nested item #4 (bottom step)
SPN: M-GYW-24962-80095-04

Nested item #5 (middle step)
SPN: M-GYW-24962-80095-05

Nested item #6 (top step)
SPN: M-GYW-24962-80095-06

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We just installed the sea dek on our 282. Love the helm and steps. Also installed in aft cabin as that is our storage area for all our gear.

Attachments

• seadek steps.jpg
    seadek steps.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
  • seadek aft cabin.jpg
    seadek aft cabin.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4794.jpg
    IMG_4794.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4795.jpg
    IMG_4795.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That looks really nice!! Something else for me to consider for my 228.:cool:

Lsquared

Reaction score
Funny this jut popped up again. I want to do my deck on my 282 and was researching products. I was looking at Flexiteek, will look at seadek too

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Personal feelings is SeaDek is the top of the line of all the products in this category. Everyone else is trying to be like SeaDek. Just feel I'd get a proven product with them.

Reactions: Lsquared