Seadek on a 228?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
So I got a quote for doing this. I'm doing the whole cockpit, swim platform, the walk around in 13mm (about 1/2") and doing the rear seats and the fish boxes in 20mm (I think, it's about 3/4").

$6500. Seems pricey but I don't know. I heard about people doing Seadek here or one of the other forums and I heard prices like $2.5-$3K. Did I hear wrong?

I can afford it but I don't want to be paying over market rate.

Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Are you doing the install? That can greatly affect the pricing one way or the other and makes it impossible to compare pricing to someone that is doing their own install. The other thing that is jacking your price up is the extra thickness. That adds quite a lot to the price. The "normal" stuff that you see in most boats is 6mm or 9mm.

It's going to look great, no doubt about it. I'm assuming you're doing a teak look rather than just a single color? Are you OK with the added time you're going to spend cleaning? Even just a simple hose-down will take longer. I'm not saying don't do it - just mentioning this aspect as it's a lot of money to spend.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
They are doing the install. Yes on teak look.

On cleaning, why is it longer? I leave my boat outside and it gets full of leaves and dirt, I was thinking it would show dirt less.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Longer... A couple reasons. The Seadek is slightly "grippy" - "stuff" won't flow over it as nicely/fast as non-skid gelcoat. The second part of this is all of the teak lines trapping stuff. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's horrible - but there is a noticeable difference. If you're using the boat, primarily, for cruising around... go for it. But if it's going to get dirty on a regular basis, it's just something to be aware of.

FYI... if you get brown tannin stains from leaves on gelcoat... a quick spray of bleach will eliminate that in a few minutes like magic. A 5:1 solution is plenty.

Last edited:

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm going with dekit. I'm located on long island ny. I think it's going to be like $30sqft ... So I'm probably looking at like 2.5 3k installed

dgrizzly

Reaction score
I've seen rubber interlocking mats they use in restaurants/workstations on a few gradys(the ones with holes that allow drainage). Provides a bit of standing relief, anti slip no matter the condition and is easily cuttable for the deck for a couple hundred bucks.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks nice for sure when it goes down but I don't think it holds up well. If you have to pull up, your gelcoat is a mess and likely needs to be sanded and painted. I'd look for a more friendly install solution.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
In the pleasure boat world, it seems to holding up really well. It's a peel-n-stick product so you'd be spending some time removing the residue if you removed it - but the gelcoat should remain unharmed. I can't say how it holds up to serious/regular fishing, though, as I've never come it across it on a boat that does primarily fishing.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
In the pleasure boat world, it seems to holding up really well. It's a peel-n-stick product so you'd be spending some time removing the residue if you removed it - but the gelcoat should remain unharmed. I can't say how it holds up to serious/regular fishing, though, as I've never come it across it on a boat that does primarily fishing.

Perhaps I need to look for something else then, all my boat does is fish. I can imagine going out whale watching but probably less than once a year. Compared to dozens for fishing trips.

The reason I was looking at seadek is I want the cushion effect that it gives, I have screwed up feet.

HTHM

Reaction score
Perhaps I need to look for something else then, all my boat does is fish. I can imagine going out whale watching but probably less than once a year. Compared to dozens for fishing trips.

The reason I was looking at seadek is I want the cushion effect that it gives, I have screwed up feet.
Then I would suggest that you consider what @dgrizzly recommended. I have some of that in my wood shop, and it makes a noticeable difference.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I certainly don't want you to think that I'm trying to say that the Seadek is "bad" - it is not - it is very nice stuff. But it just sounds like it's not the right product for your use. In this case, I'd be looking to those commercial anti-fatigue mats. You'll want the kind with holes in them - a large mat with no holes runs the possibility of "floating" when it gets water underneath, which isn't safe. Something like this: https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/mat-tek-tough-black-7-8-x-3--x-5--non-tracking-31990.html They stay put nicely - even if you butt two of them up against each other. BUT, you could always cut them like a jigsaw so they fit the deck space like wall to wall carpet. Heck, you could even use a few zip ties to lock them together - they'd be easy enough to cut when you wanted to remove the mats to clean the deck (or use releasable ties).

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I certainly don't want you to think that I'm trying to say that the Seadek is "bad" - it is not - it is very nice stuff. But it just sounds like it's not the right product for your use. In this case, I'd be looking to those commercial anti-fatigue mats. You'll want the kind with holes in them - a large mat with no holes runs the possibility of "floating" when it gets water underneath, which isn't safe. Something like this: https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/mat-tek-tough-black-7-8-x-3--x-5--non-tracking-31990.html They stay put nicely - even if you butt two of them up against each other. BUT, you could always cut them like a jigsaw so they fit the deck space like wall to wall carpet. Heck, you could even use a few zip ties to lock them together - they'd be easy enough to cut when you wanted to remove the mats to clean the deck (or use releasable ties).
I don't think this will have that tight snug fit like the seadek or dekit etc... There might be shifting or movement with these tiles

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm going with dekit. I'm located on long island ny. I think it's going to be like $30sqft ... So I'm probably looking at like 2.5 3k installed

I had never heard of dekit before, just checked out their website. They seem more fishing oriented, is their stuff better than seadek?
What does everyone think?

I also looked at the mats that someone else suggested, they look harder (not positive but it looks that way to me). I really want soft, it makes a huge difference to my feet.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't think this will have that tight snug fit like the seadek or dekit etc... There might be shifting or movement with these tiles
SeaDek and Dekit are glued down (or snapped). It wouldn't be fair to compare that to a laydown setup.

Have you ever personally seen the type of mat I linked to? I have, on some lobster boats. I'm not sure if the one I linked to is the exact ones I've stepped on, but it appears so. As I mentioned, they do a pretty good job of staying put. But, also as I mentioned, cutting them to fit "wall to wall" would keep them about 99% in place - certainly not something that would cause a concern.

You might be able to find this type of product in longer lengths, as well.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I had never heard of dekit before, just checked out their website. They seem more fishing oriented, is their stuff better than seadek?
What does everyone think?

I also looked at the mats that someone else suggested, they look harder (not positive but it looks that way to me). I really want soft, it makes a huge difference to my feet.
I have never personally seen Dekit - but it is made out of the exact same material as SeaDek. If you skip the teak lines and just go with a flat surface, that help with "cleanability".

The rubber-holed mats are easily as soft as SeaDek - if not more forgiving. Just make sure you're looking at "anti-fatigue" mats, as holed-mats can be made from harder rubber, as well. You might do well to call Hamiliton marine (the link) - they're a very good company to deal with. I buy from them quite often when I'm in Maine.

I only quickly googled Mat Tek, looking for a manufacturer website thinking that maybe you could buy a sample size. I came across a company called Notrax - they "might" be the manufacturer, but not sure. Either way, they have a lot of product on their website to look at.

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How often do you plan to wash down your decks, after fishing? You can't do it without lifting those rubber mats, and then reassembling them afterwards. Aren't you hoping to get into tuna fishing? That's a bloody mess in the cockpit.
I have them in front of an 8 foot workbench, and they catch every thing that falls, and the little things you have to pick out, if you can find them.
Also, I think you mentioned doing the walkaround. That's going to be a very utilitarian look.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Have you tried really nice footware? I suspect you have . I have had foot issues all my life since I was a toddler. lol. I either wear some nice cushioning Sperry's or keens. I have long thought about getting an antifatigue helm mat . I like the look of sea dek . it's nice but I heard here and on hulk truth it's a little extra work to clean up if you're fishing. I have no experience with it so can't offer any real world input there. we use antifatigue mats in our retail and production areas of my business. The stuff works. Good luck.

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I just had GatorStep installed on my Gulfstream and love how it came out. How many square feet is your install?
I would think twice about the thickness of the material you go with. Mine is in 6mm and that makes a big difference in the feel under foot. I would not want it too squishy. Especially for fishing, if it is too thick, you will likely run the risk of damaging it with things gouging into it and tearing it.
I just did the rear cockpit area on my boat for now to see how it feels. I may do a thicker pad under foot at the helm. I do not think it is necessary on the swim-step at all or on top of the gunnels/fishbox. You can always install in in increments. I've seen some boats that cover every horizontal surface with the stuff and they just look overdone.

feel free to reach out to me here - I'm happy to discuss in more detail and you're welcome to see it in person if you are in OC.

Follow the link to my thread here for more details.
Gator Step 2.jpg

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Have you tried really nice footware? I suspect you have .
I was just going to mention the same thing! This might be the least expensive way to go - even if you got some custom orthotic inserts... which could be used other places, as well. Some type of quick/easy draining footwear and nice orthotic inserts.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I was just going to mention the same thing! This might be the least expensive way to go - even if you got some custom orthotic inserts... which could be used other places, as well. Some type of quick/easy draining footwear and nice orthotic inserts.

I've been to dozens of doctors, custom inserts, had 6 epidurals, etc, etc. I wear Lowa Renegade boots, they help a little. Hardwood/stone floors suck, I like carpeted better. So for me, I think the 13mm seadek is probably the right answer. I've got salt water washdown on the
boat and I use it, it makes it way easier to clean the boat later. And the boat isn't, for _me_, livingroom furniture, it's a fish boat first and foremost and if it has some battle scars, so be it. "This one is when we pulled in that first bluefin" would be an epic stain to have.

I looked at Dekit, there are no dealers/installers out here.

As for the floating mats, I'm with the guy who said they would catch everything, I'd have stinky squid in there. So that means remove the mats, clean the mats, clean the boat, put the mats back, that sounds like more work than cleaning up the seadeck.

I am listening though, the guy who said don't bother with the swim deck, yeah, makes sense. I am doing the fish boxes in the ~20mm stuff, I don't like the cushions there, they get dirty because they get walked on. But those seats get used some something there would be nice.

I'm inclined to do the rear seat covers such that the stuff is glued to that insert that covers the compartments but have it extend out around the lip, I think less water would get in that way. I'm inclined to do the baitwell because it gets walked on.

I could be talked out of the walk around. It's mostly the cockpit/helm that I care about.