Seafarer 22 under deck storage mod?

Ginger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just put a deposit on an 05 Seafarer 228 with the standard fuel tank and have a couple questions. I looked through the circular observation port in the deck between the helm and the co pilot station and see there's a large empty space below where the optional extra fuel tank would probably go. The question is - has anyone converted that space into a fish hold or usable storage? I'm pretty good working with fiberglass and gelcoat so ideally I'd like to create an insulated fish box with a drain leading to a macerator pump which would double as storage. Is this crazy talk?

It looks like it would be fairly easy to get rid of the screws on that cover and simply make it a pop out hatch or I could probably install a hinge along the front edge.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I only have one tank in my boat, so I did just what you are thinking. The empty "coffin" became storage with the help of a couple hinges. I put the hinges on the side, but you could certainly put a piano hinge along the front edge and a gas spring/shock to make it easy to open (and stay open). I didn't bother finishing the inside because it's just used for basic storage - but you basically have a blank canvas to start with down there to do with as you wish. Should be a pretty easy/straight forward project for you... sounds like a fun project! Good luck, Red!

Ginger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you and this mod seems like a no brainier. I couldn't see if / how far the fuel tank extends under that forward deck cover so I'd appreciate it if you know and if can you give me a rough idea of the usable dimensions?

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You’ll have to search, but the is a thread on here with someone doing justyou want to do. I’d be interested in seeing your end result. Dennis can you post a pic of your finished product?

Thanks

UCPA111

Reaction score
I took that forward compartment and put my main fuel tank there. It helped redistribute weight away from the stern. I then made the rear area into the storage compartment. I took the hatch cover and split it, and then made it into the lid that latches down and has a full width ss hinge. I used Coosa board on the underside and West System epoxy and 1708 fabric. It's stout. I use that area for storage of fenders and planer boards and whatever. I also built a shelf in it and have my batteries mounted there - off the bottom of the boat.

I could see it being used as a fish box as well.

20191105_195827.jpg

Ginger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I took that forward compartment and put my main fuel tank there. It helped redistribute weight away from the stern. I then made the rear area into the storage compartment. I took the hatch cover and split it, and then made it into the lid that latches down and has a full width ss hinge. I used Coosa board on the underside and West System epoxy and 1708 fabric. It's stout. I use that area for storage of fenders and planer boards and whatever. I also built a shelf in it and have my batteries mounted there - off the bottom of the boat.

I could see it being used as a fish box as well.

View attachment 10413
I like the idea of moving the main tank forward thanks. One of my first projects will be to open both hatches and see what makes the most sense for the under deck layout. It looks like moving the tank forward would open up access to all the systems in the aft bilge so that would be a bonus.

OMER

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just put a deposit on an 05 Seafarer 228 with the standard fuel tank and have a couple questions. I looked through the circular observation port in the deck between the helm and the co pilot station and see there's a large empty space below where the optional extra fuel tank would probably go. The question is - has anyone converted that space into a fish hold or usable storage? I'm pretty good working with fiberglass and gelcoat so ideally I'd like to create an insulated fish box with a drain leading to a macerator pump which would double as storage. Is this crazy talk?

It looks like it would be fairly easy to get rid of the screws on that cover and simply make it a pop out hatch or I could probably install a hinge along the front edge.
here

UCPA111

Reaction score
I like the idea of moving the main tank forward thanks. One of my first projects will be to open both hatches and see what makes the most sense for the under deck layout. It looks like moving the tank forward would open up access to all the systems in the aft bilge so that would be a bonus.
There is a bulk head that needs removed and relocated. Not a big deal. A couple minutes with a vibratory tool and it's out. I put in a layer of 1708 in both areas to stiffen everything up while I was at it. I used COOSA for the new bulk head. If you want any other pictures, let me know. I find it quite handy having the access doors to a hatch in the cockpit vs being between the helm area. I think that would be a PITA to use in that location. Good luck and keep us posted (always great to see pictures).

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I want to do the same thing. It's a huge space under there. Very deep. But I'm questioning my skills to match a good looking hatch. I can fiberglass hidden stuff but not sure how to make it look good. Show us what you come up with.

OMER

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There is a bulk head that needs removed and relocated. Not a big deal. A couple minutes with a vibratory tool and it's out. I put in a layer of 1708 in both areas to stiffen everything up while I was at it. I used COOSA for the new bulk head. If you want any other pictures, let me know. I find it quite handy having the access doors to a hatch in the cockpit vs being between the helm area. I think that would be a PITA to use in that location. Good luck and keep us posted (always great to see pictures).
[/QUOTE

Maybe you are right.
But when I made the decision to hatch, I considered several points.

1) If GW has placed the main tank there, there must be a reason.

2) to release the rear part, you must:
move the fuel tank, replace the tubes and electrical wires
move the fresh water tank, replace the tubes
move the bulkhead
redo all supports
It's a lot of work

3) the part between the seats is a passage where nobody lets things hang out, which is not the case in the cockpit, when there are four of us on board

4) it is easy to open the hatch and move it from the cabin, which is very useful when the sea is rough.

5) when it rains the hatch is protected

If I had to do it again, I would do the same thing.

UCPA111

Reaction score
For me, I needed to distribute weight. Moving my main tank forward balanced my boat and allows me to have a 300 Verado on the stern. I already had to replace my tank.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds like a job for a good glass guy unless you know what you are doing. I'd put an extra drain tube under there before sealing it in.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I installed drain tubes and preserved ones that were there. Using West System epoxy was actually pretty easy.

Ginger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The boat passed survey so looks like I'm converting from the Whaler forum to the Grady Forum. I'm pretty good with fiberglass so my first thought is make it a permanent insulated box but is there anything under that hatch I NEED access to?

Reactions: BoatDad

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Anyone know of a good source for an off the shelf hatch I can put over my forward Aux fuel tank hatch. I'd like it to be the off white grady color. I've seen lots of white aftermarket hatches but they don't match. Don't want to spend the $$ for custom fiberglass work.

Would be great if off white: https://amzn.to/37TXsdG

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I love threads like this where folks make full use of areas lol... following. Be sure to update with pictures ;)

R

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Love all the ideas. My concern has been and will continue to be making sure the fuel tank coffin boxes are water tight from above and proper drainage below. Many can tell you of the woes associated with saltwater damage to the fuel tanks and the anguish it caused.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good looking hatches are hard to find but I noticed that Boat Outfitters will custom make a hatch, any size/color to match the Seafoam starboard in the rest of the boat. It's more expensive than plastic hatches and I can't really justify it amid other boat projects but maybe down the road.

My use would be to store dry bulky items like camping gear, fenders, life raft etc. It's covered by the hardtop so Im not worried about a little fresh water intrusion.

Here's the link to the custom hatch maker tool: https://www.boatoutfitters.com/starboard-deck-hatch-with-radius-corners
Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 7.59.59 AM.png

1582646445135.png

Attachments

• 1582646421205.png
    1582646421205.png
    658.6 KB · Views: 2