Seafarer 228 4 blade vs 3 blade

bazzturd

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Anyone have any feedback that has ran both a 3 blade and a 4 blade on their 228?

bazzturd

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There is quite a bit of feedback on that question, if you search recent prop threads.
Not tons specifically on the 228. I've scanned a lot of it. But thanks..................

What I would specifically like to hear is if anyone went from 3 to 4 or visa versa and noticed performance differences, specifically fuel and planning speed. I understand that a four blade is suppose to improve these things but did anyone not make major pitch changes or diameter changes and notice the improvement.

Last edited:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have run both and on two different engines.I had a 3.3 liter f250 , original with new boat and the 4 blade improved low end performance,turning performance ( it didn't ventilate in tight turns) and great following sea performance as , again, would blow out especially at low speeds coming into am inlet with big standing waves. When I needed power to push it over or to keep the wave behind me and not over take the 4 blade just bit better in that scenario. It also added some power in reverse at the dock.

I now run the 4.2 F250 and all that is just as true. Spent a week testing an OS4 by PowerTech in the ocean daily. the stern lift provided helped in head sea performance. I didn't have to tab so much. My cruise RPM was solid and I could plane around 21 versus 23 with the Yammy prop. I think the 4 blade helps the 228 a great deal. I don't have metrics written down the boat just feels better.

Last edited:

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What pitch for each engine smoky??

bazzturd

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have run both and on two different engines.I had a 3.3 liter f250 , original with new boat and the 4 blade improved low end performance,turning performance ( it didn't ventilate in tight turns) and great following sea performance as , again, would blow out especially at low speeds coming into am inlet with big standing waves. When I needed power to push it over or to keep the wave behind me and not over take the 4 blade just bit better in that scenario. It also added some power in reverse at the dock.

I now run the 4.2 F250 and all that is just as true. Spent a week testing an OS4 by PowerTech in the ocean daily. the stern lift provided helped in head sea performance. I didn't have to tab so much. My cruise RPM was solid and I could plane around 21 versus 23 with the Yammy prop. I think the 4 blade helps the 228 a great deal. I don't have metrics written down the boat just feels better.
Thanks. I'm kind of forced to run a OFS3 for now. No one has the OSF4 and I am currently running a prop that has such shitty numbers that it's going to have to do.

I appreciate the feedback. What pitch did you run on the 225? Also what pitch did you run on the 3 blade and the 4 blade with the 225?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Timcan

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady hit the nail on the head I have the same experience with my 4 blade prop (PowerTech ofs 15 pitch prop). I have a 1999 Grady 228 with a Yamaha 225 ox66 efi)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
What pitch for each engine smoky??
Both props are the 16 inch pitch. Typically as Ken at Prop Gods suggest that when you add a blade you drop down 1 inch in pitch. Both motors ran the same 3 blade saltwater series II prop..15.5 x17

Seek the wisdom of Ken at Prop Gods and he will direct you to enlightenment of proper propulsion.

bazzturd

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Both props are the 16 inch pitch. Typically as Ken at Prop Gods suggest that when you add a blade you drop down 1 inch in pitch. Both motors ran the same 3 blade saltwater series II prop..15.5 x17

Seek the wisdom of Ken at Prop Gods and he will direct you to enlightenment of proper propulsion.

I did. He recommended the OFS4 in 15.25 x 15. Problem is they are back ordered and 4-6 weeks out. I'm curious is you were running the F250 and I am running the 225 is why he recommended 15 x 15. Perhaps I described a desire to plane lower speeds/rpm with heavier loads??

I found and ELE in the 15 x 15 used for a good price that I might run until the OFS4 arrives. Otherwise I am going to get an OFS3 in the dimensions he recommended, although not the brand he recommended, at a nearby shop and then order what I want later.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a very clean lightly used rev 4 RH 17p for sale!

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I run a OFS4 15.25x16 on my yamaha OX66 225 and it is perfect.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm running the same OSF4 15.25x16 on my F225 and it is a perfect match for what I wanted. Recommended by Ken at PropGods.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Hi all. I started with a 19P 3 blade on my seafarer (300 Verado). While it would go over 50 mph with "ease", it wouldn't hit the right RPM range. It also wasn't "great" on hole shot or planing speed. I contacted Ken at PropGods. I explained my loading conditions and he recommended a 17P rev 4.
I am very happy with the performance. I am in the sweet spot on RPM now. It did improve hole shot and planing and the stern lift. I lost some on the top end, but if I tweak it I can still bump up to 50....51 if running 1/4 fuel and 2 guys with no wind. GPS speeds.
I am pleased with the 4 blade and think it matches well with my setup. But, setups do vary. I have a bit of a unicorn setup as I enclosed my transom and designed a custom flotation bracket with more buoyancy.

bazzturd

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a very clean lightly used rev 4 RH 17p for sale!
Thanks, but I think that is a little too much pitch. Gonna stick to the recommendation of a15 x 15. Would maybe go 15 x 16 for the right price.

bazzturd

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm running the same OSF4 15.25x16 on my F225 and it is a perfect match for what I wanted. Recommended by Ken at PropGods.
Do you run heavy? Full tank with auxiliary, lots of gear etc? What are your minimum planning RPM's and speed. Thanks

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Ken told me that 4 week time frame on the prop and it arrived around 3 weeks. There is different gearing between 3.3 and 4.2 and it's kind of odd the sane prop works for both motors. Ken did say the 4.2 is on the edge between 15 and 16 pitch. It's worth the wait for the prop in my opinion.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
The reason same prop works on the 3.3 and 4.2 lt, the 4.2 makes more torque and power down low and on a wider rev band . She is a much more suitable engine for our heavy boats.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ken said the same for me and it was on my doorstep in 2 1/2 weeks.