Seafarer bracketed w/Bimini vs no bracket and hardtop

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello guys. I’m new to Grady White. Glad to be a member. I am buying a grady seafarer. Either a 98 with Bimini and full enclosure with 98 Yamaha 0x66 225 with bracket and closed transom, or 2001 with full enclosure and hardtop with 2001 200 hp HPDI no bracket. Big decision, which is more important, the closed transom and bracket , or the hard top ? Hmmmm tough call

handinpalm

Reaction score
So what you are asking is picking between the 226 and the 228 Seafarer. I have had both and currently have a 2005 228. I would pick the 228 w/ bracket. Better ride, closed transom and large swim platform. BUT, the 228 you are looking at is older. I would keep looking for a newer 228 w/ a 4 stroke. Since they are probably all outfitted w/ Yamaha, watch the years where there was dry exhaust corrosion issues on the 225 and 250 motors. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So, I love both features. Question is , which is more beneficial? I’m hearing that the bracket greatly improves the ride. Not sure because I’ve never been on a boat with a bracket. So if you had to choose between the two, which would it be? Hard top or bracket?

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I''m doing the same research, looking for the hard top 226 or 228. Enclosed transom doesn't matter to me. Just right price and certain features. Also looking at a few Adventures with hard tops.
There are a few deals out there without hard tops and I thought about adding one later. Atlantic Marine seems to be the supplier. Tough search lots of boats out there all over the place. Good Luck.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
HPDI's are known to have problems, I wouldn't buy one unless I wanted to re-power. I have a soft top 228 ( I re-power when I bought it with Merc). 0x66 is a good engine and long lasting if serviced but she will be thirsty.
As for the hull I would always buy the 228, no question there, much better in every way and more deck space if you are in to fishing. Hard top is better than soft top the only disadvantage you have extra weight on the top.
I just bought a 2013 228 with hard top , she will soon be on the way to Australia
Good luck in your search, I would keep away from boats with bottom paint.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
HPDI's are known to have problems, I wouldn't buy one unless I wanted to re-power. I have a soft top 228 ( I re-power when I bought it with Merc). 0x66 is a good engine and long lasting if serviced but she will be thirsty.
As for the hull I would always buy the 228, no question there, much better in every way and more deck space if you are in to fishing. Hard top is better than soft top the only disadvantage you have extra weight on the top.
I just bought a 2013 228 with hard top , she will soon be on the way to Australia
Good luck in your search, I would keep away from boats with bottom paint.

Why the hate on bottom paint? Seems like they all have it. If you keep it in a slip don't you have to have it painted? Or can you keep it there without paint?
Thanks

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I hate bottom paint because it means the boat was kept in the water . One of the reasons I have a trailer boat is I keep it on the trailer all the time and this is the norm in Australia.
I know you guys ( especially north) keep them in the water during summer and take them out in winter you wrap them and winterizing them.
We have the luxury of using them all year around as it doesn't get cold here, it's about the same as south Florida here.
The boat I just bought in Florida doesn't have bottom paint , was kept on a lift with cover on top. The one I have now I bought from a lake in Albany GA , no bottom paint kept on a lift.
Boats kept in the water deteriorate much quicker.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
My 87 226 has never had bottom paint, in and out storage and trailer use mostly. When buying a used boat, bottom paint can hide previous damage and repairs, I liked that I could see what I was dealing with on a 30 year old boat.

bottom.jpg

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My '04 228 wasn't bottom painted either. Started life in Texas and then moved to Florida until I bought her and brought her home to Kentucky in '17. For a trailer boat, I prefer no bottom paint either. Unpainted boats are out there, just have to be patient to find one.
IMG_2533.JPG

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Playing the averages, sure, a boat kept out of the water "should" fare better over the years than one that is kept in the water. BUT, that absolutely does NOT mean that a wet slipped boat (and there are many, MANY of these throughout the States... and of course the world) will be bad. There are WAY too many factors and variables at play to make a blanket statement. As long as the buyer does his/her due diligence during the "checking out" phase, I personally see nothing wrong with a bottom painted boat.

A lot of this boils down to how someone plans on using their new boat. If they're going to keep it on a trailer or a lift, then sure, a clean bottom makes more sense. On the other hand, if they're going to slip it (or the aesthetics of a painted hull doesn't bother them), then purchasing a boat already painted can be seen as an advantage.

It's all personal preference - there will never be a "best" way... just like there is no "best oil to use" :)

SirGrady226

Reaction score
My 87 226 has never had bottom paint, in and out storage and trailer use mostly. When buying a used boat, bottom paint can hide previous damage and repairs, I liked that I could see what I was dealing with on a 30 year old boat.

View attachment 6284
I say no bottom paint, but someone did paint a bottom stripe along the bottom.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Interesting. I plan on keeping it in a slip from April to October, trailering doesn't work for me, I'll never use it. I have plans to slip it at a yacht club this year, so if I do that, It should be painted right?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Interesting. I plan on keeping it in a slip from April to October, trailering doesn't work for me, I'll never use it. I have plans to slip it at a yacht club this year, so if I do that, It should be painted right?
Depends on where you slip it, the type of water, how often you use it, how often you would pull it to clean the bottom... Lot's of variables.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Depends on where you slip it, the type of water, how often you use it, how often you would pull it to clean the bottom... Lot's of variables.
Going to be in the Hudson River brackish water, just north of West Point.
How often would you have to pull it to clean?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Going to be in the Hudson River brackish water, just north of West Point.
How often would you have to pull it to clean?

Hard to say (variables, above). Yet another variable is the activity level in the water at that particular spot and even current. Could be once a season - could be once a month. The only way to get a real handle on it is to ask some locals.

SuskyMike

Reaction score
For those without bottom paint...will you run your boat up on a beach or sandbar to unload the family? Does it scuff the gelcoat or wax?

To the OP; someone mentioned the HDPI had issues. I believe that was mainly with the 250 and up. The 2000 HPDI is pretty highly regarded; but so is the 225 OX66. They are essentially the same motor w/ different fuel delivery systems.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
For those without bottom paint...will you run your boat up on a beach or sandbar to unload the family? Does it scuff the gelcoat or wax?

No reason you can't do it - but realize that you will wear the paint away faster. I try to stop where the bow is still just barely floating. What "scuffing of the gelcoat/wax" are you worried about? The gelcoat is already "not" pretty since it is painted.

SuskyMike

Reaction score
What "scuffing of the gelcoat/wax" are you worried about? The gelcoat is already "not" pretty since it is painted.

I have bottom paint on my boat and don't worry at all about beaching it.

My question was for boats without bottom paint. In the Grady demo videos they show these beautiful brand new shiny hulls up on the sand, and it half makes me cringe wondering if that's scratching the finish.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have bottom paint on my boat and don't worry at all about beaching it.

My question was for boats without bottom paint. In the Grady demo videos they show these beautiful brand new shiny hulls up on the sand, and it half makes me cringe wondering if that's scratching the finish.
Oh, OK. It wasn't clear what you meant from the wording in the post. In that case, yes, of course it will slowly erode the gelcoat... beaches, after all, are "sand"paper. Can be fixed, though - not horribly costly.