Sealant for motor mounting bolt

30marlin

Reaction score
I wasn't to happy with how Grady sealed my outboard bolts. I had one bolt leaking water inside the hull on my 30 marlin. There was hardly any sealant
on the bolt at all. Only a little bit on the bottom. The others were the same way. I removed the bolts and re-bedded them and filled in the entire slot with sealant like you see some of the other manufactures do.

IMG_6542.JPG

[/img]
IMG_6655.jpg

richie rich

Reaction score
Yup...the installer gooped up the bolt only and shoved it in the hole....most of the sealant scraped off and ended up outside the hole......water came in...and if you didn't catch it early, would eventually soak your core. That's why you resin it if you have the chance...long-term insurance.

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply my question. What is the best way to resin the hole? Is there any tip to do it and where can I get the martirial?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishermanaddict said:
Thank you for the reply my question. What is the best way to resin the hole? Is there any tip to do it and where can I get the martirial?

The way i do it is i use epoxy resin or two part epoxy, mix it then apply it with those small brushes plumbers use to spread the flux, they are small and stiff. Make sure you oversize the hole a little using the same size bit as the hole, just go back and forth and wiggle a little.

richie rich

Reaction score
I think the brushes NEM is talking about are called acid brushes...Home Depot or any hardware store will have them...West System also sells them in 6 or 12 packs...use any epoxy a marine supply place would have...West, Mas, System 2, Store Brand...they will all work fine for this....the wood will absorb it into the grain and seal the surface...put on several coats...it gels up in about 15-30 minutes.