Seat Pedestal Attachment

cuttyhunk

Reaction score
All -
Since I won't be buying a new boat, I was thinking of replacing the helm seat of my 1996 Tournament192 with a new adjustable pedestal and helm seat.
My question is "What does Grady use to fasten the pedestal base to the deck?" Machine screws and nuts? Toggles? Wood screws?"
I don't want to unscrew the existing pedestal and hear hardware drop into the bilge.

Thanks, Mike

wlewis

Reaction score
I spoke to Grady customer service rep about replacing a sofa fold seat with pedestal seat and he recommended using stainless toggle bolts and 5200 sealant to mount the pedestal. Look under "for sale" forum, under "sleeper seat for sale". There is a new pedestal seat for sale.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just some thoughts. No experience with the boat or access info.

If you can get access to the other side, I would think 5200 with SS bolts, flatwashers, lockwashers and nylock nuts would be best to secure it in place.

If no access, the toggle bolts see like an option, just curious if they will hold up with all the stress/strain on the base. Seems like you are going to drop some hardware in the bilge, might want to see if you can get something in there to fish them out. Is there any opportunity to cut and access point and then install something in the access hole (a pre-fab drawer, small box etc) or maybe fab a cover with a piece of starboard? This would allow the nylock option.

wlewis

Reaction score
Nylock nuts would definitely be best. Access is the issue. I'm looking at pedestal installation myself on my 235 Freedom. So far, I haven't found the right access nor the right (substantial) toggle bolts.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used these on an old Welcraft to secure the seat to the floor. Worked Great, Very Very sturdy. Get the stainless model.
togglers from http://www.fastenal.com

toggler.jpg

Ideal for installations near water or moisture and for high-strength applications
Important for hospitals, restaurants and food service, nuclear power plants, etc.
Great for installing HVAC equipment, solar panels, marine equipment, communications equipment, electrical equipment, lighting fixtures, fans, pedestal seats on boats (ABYC-tested) and more

wlewis

Reaction score
I looked at Fastenal's site earlier and saw those same togglers, but seems most of them required a 1/2" to 3/4" hole which seemed excessive. Do you recall the size togglers, better still the part number, that you used?
Walter

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes it takes a 1/2" hole but these are incredibly strong. We also use these for mounting TVs and displays on moveable arms in offices. You drill a 1/2" hole, turn the toggler so it fits through the hole. Pull the arms and push the collar down to secure the toggle in the hole. Break off the arms and the toggle stays in place. If you remove the bolt the toggle stays in place.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/de ... ?sku=50846

Here's how to install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYlW7z72N0

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use the 1/4 x 20 size, 1/2" hole. You can get the bolts you need either pan head or countersunk to fit the pedestal and the togglers. I cannot say enough good things about these wall anchors.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you can't get in there to thru-bolt it find a way to thru-bolt it. The toggles put a lot of stress on a small area, I wouldn't use them. I already had the misfortune of tearing out the seat on a friends boat, luckily I was able to grab onto the center console but bad things can happen really fast. If you can't find an access point, call Grady.

wlewis

Reaction score
Grog,
Grady's service dept recommends the toggles combined with 5200 since there is no access on a Freedom 225. Do you think the stress caused by a toggle is greater than if there was a through bolt nut on the underside of the deck?
Walter

Fishtales

Reaction score
I didn't see these toggles before. That is a great design and a very good solution. Thanks for sharing!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The toggle has 2 relatively thin areas to spread the force, where a fender washer distributes the load over a broader area. You're going to have 200 pounds banging on a 2 foot lever, the edges of the toggle will be digging in the underside. Now as they dig in, the bolt is going to loosen and cause sealing issues.

You basically have Grady's blessing but I wouldn't do it.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
The local Grady dealer just installed a pedestal seat in my boat. They contacted GW in Greeville and got the exact location the factory uses for install. Especially important because of the stringers running through area. Holes drilled, stainless screws, and 5200 the whole thing down. Will be a bear to ever move, but it's rock solid. Whatever you do, if it's a newer boat, I would have a Grady dealer do it. That way if you run into trouble later with seat coming lose and/or causing damage to deck, you at least have someone standing with you.

81Malibu

Reaction score
Grog said:
The toggle has 2 relatively thin areas to spread the force, where a fender washer distributes the load over a broader area. You're going to have 200 pounds banging on a 2 foot lever, the edges of the toggle will be digging in the underside. Now as they dig in, the bolt is going to loosen and cause sealing issues.

You basically have Grady's blessing but I wouldn't do it.

What do you recommend? Should he cut a hole in the floor so he can get his hand in there to install the nuts and washers? The seat bases mount to the floor with no access.

wlewis

Reaction score
I have an idea. Tell me whether you all think it will work. The base of the pedestal is 9". Suppose you drill the six half inch toggle holes as suggested in the earlier post. I believe they would be arranged in an approximate 8 inch circle. Next, cut a six inch hole in the center of the 6 toggle holes. It would need to be gently cut so as to not disturb the stringers. Once the six inch hole is cut, you would want to seal the edges of the hole with resin to prevent water from entering the wood underside of the deck. Having the six hole would allow you to duct tape large stainless washers underneath the deck, around the toggle holes. Prior to taping the washers underneath, you would have taken a razor blade and cut the tape and remove a circular section from the inside of the washers, fully exposing the 1/2 inch hole. The pedestal could then be mounted using the toggles. When tightened down, they would be tightened down on the washer. The only question would be, "does the six in hole underneath the pedestal weaken the deck?"
What do you think?
Walter

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are going to drill the large hole, it's easy. Make the 6" hole then drill the holes for the pedestol. Next make 2 backing plates with the holes pre tapped, then epoxy them to the uderside of the deck. Seal the bolt holes then close up the access hole.

wlewis

Reaction score
Sounds even better. I wonder if the 6 inch hole really gives you access. Is the underdeck space open or filled with foam?