Shore Power Tripping 265 Express

Sea Shift

Reaction score
After putting the boat back in the slip I am having an issue with the shore power tripping. I have had this problem before but usually after playing with the cable connections it stays on. Today nothing I did worked. I even tried plugging into a different dock box connection. So I changed out the cable. Did not help. I would guess it is maybe a corrosion issue onboard? Anyone have advise on where to start my search? Or have you had a similar issue?

Fishtales

Reaction score
My guess is less than a perfect connection. If you can, get another cable and see if the problem persists. My guess it is the cable connector that is worn.

seasick

Reaction score
Sea Shift said:
After putting the boat back in the slip I am having an issue with the shore power tripping. I have had this problem before but usually after playing with the cable connections it stays on. Today nothing I did worked. I even tried plugging into a different dock box connection. So I changed out the cable. Did not help. I would guess it is maybe a corrosion issue onboard? Anyone have advise on where to start my search? Or have you had a similar issue?
Is the breaker in the boat tripping or is the shore power breaker at the dock tripping?
If it is the boat's breaker, first thing is to turn off ALL breakers other than the mains and connect shore power. If the breaker doesn't trip, start turning on the breakers one at a time and see what happens. You made have one device that has a problem and this method will help identify it.
Another possible issue is that the breaker itself is bad. If with no loads on, it doesn't trip and as you turn on breakers, after every couple of breakers, disconnect shore power and reconnect to see if the breaker trips. If it does, the breaker is probably weak and needs to be replaced.
Of course, there are other causes to the tripping but these two tests will help eliminate a lot of possible causes.
If you are tripping the shore side breaker and it has ground fault protection, it will be a bit harder to isolate but again the first thing is to open all breakers and check, then switch on the main, see what happens, and repeat for all loads(breakers).