Slight modification of a 1969 Striper

johnbell47

Reaction score
http://photobucket.com/chriscraftjohnbell

I will probably get crucified righ here for what I did to this poor Grady White. 1969 Striper model. :D

richie rich

Reaction score
I see a picture of 1 old GW and a ton of pictures of a refurbished wooden chris craft......what's missing here? And don't say you made the CC out of that old GW.....

johnbell47

Reaction score
That is exactly what I did. I used the poor old gradys hull. I drove the grady from 1976 to 2000. The chrysler outboard died. So, praise Neptune, I resurected her!! It is titled in Texas as a Grady white/Chris craft. :D

richie rich

Reaction score
John, what kool-aid were you drinking when you decided this adventure? What ever it was...it was good stuff. I would write up a tutorial about it and send it into Wooden Boat magazine...that is absolutely amazing.....How long and how difficult? Did any of the lines even match up with a Chris Craft?

richie rich

Reaction score
no...I started with the h and the rest.....and placed it where you see the http//yahoo blaah blah blah....just erase the h-yahoo part

richie rich

Reaction score
Look at the transom and the tumblehome. Its sick. Below the sheer its grady and above its a brand new handcrafted chriscraft. Frames and all

johnbell47

Reaction score
I wish I could say that this web site is easy to comm on, it aint. Oh well! My thinking is that GW hulls are the best in the Biz, I have always enjoyed CC's wood boats, so, why not?? I looked at this GW out in the pasture and one day, I had a dream!! Year and a half We have a boat. Not been to the lake yet. I'm taking opinions one several sites. What will this do? sink?, Swim? anybody wanna guess the speed? 200 horse mercruiser, 10% overdirve on the v drive, about 2800 pounds. 12 X 16 prop. may be way off one way or the other on the prop thing. who knows? Gimme a guess. Should know in the next two weeks!! if we don't sink, and if it don't kill me..l. :)

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
He should build these for a living. To hell with 9 to 5 if you have that kind of skill and patience

The bad thing is that you can never get your money back, that is too good of work. Aboat like this with new power should sell 40-50 K, who's gonna buy a boat from the 60's for that kind of money? It's a shame, because i also like to restore old boats and sell only to get another and restore, never made any money, but once with a very old Grady that i got for free WITH a running motor.

richie rich

Reaction score
NEM. Its a labor of love for sure. John. Whats the wood species and is it just epoxied and bright finished or is there a thin layer of glass over the wood?

richie rich

Reaction score
I looked again...I think there's a layer of glass over the wood...then faired and urethaned......I wanna see her up close.