Slight modification of a 1969 Striper

johnbell47

Reaction score
Since it seems a few of you guys are intrested. The wood is native East Texas cedar. How I did this was this: The old GW was a fiberglass lapstrake. I faired the lapstrake out with high density foam, then covered with mahogany ply, epoxied on. then stapeled and epoxied the cedar over that. This is how they do cedar strip canoes. (I have one of those, which is where I got the Idea) There is 6 ounce cloth and epox over the cedar. The whole thing is clear coated with Southern Polyurethanes universal clear. This is an automotive clear. NOT varnish!! I cannot do varnish, I suck at that. I can spray though. Love clear coat. By the way, there are plenty of flaws in this deal, you just cant see them in the pictures. It's a 20 footer.......looks good at 2o feet! I will work out all the gas bubbles , trash in the clear ,etc next winter when I have time. Chris used mahogany, not cedar, they leaked, this should not, pray for me guys!!

no problem

Reaction score
posted the link as follows.
1 pasted your info into browser
2 once there admiring your pictures I copied my browser info to my comment. then instead of submit I use preview to see if the info posts as a link.
3 it did not
4 I tried again
5 it did not
6 repeat
11 or 12 success!
I wish I had a better explanation buts thats how it went.

richie rich

Reaction score
john, can you explain further ....you faired by filling in the stagger (lapstrake) with foam (structural correct?) then ply'ed over it, then put a layer of cedar over that? Did you keep track of overall weight and where it went? Hows the CG of the boat....do you have pics of those steps? This is an interesting project I'd like to get details on...thanks

johnbell47

Reaction score
Grady listed this boat as 1670 pounds with the cabin and outboard. I removed the cabin and 6 inches of gunwhale. This was pretty heavy, but I did not weigh it. My ferguson tractor had a little trouble dragging this to the burn pile. I faired out the lapstrake with structual foam and an air file. I then covered that with mahogany plywood, which was really floor underllayment, 1/4 inch thick, exterior glue. I used 6 sheets at about 10 pounds a sheet, The cedar was also 1/4 inch thick, and I'll have to guess here, but I will say 100 pounds worth. I don't believe the upper framing weighed over 100 pounds total, that all calculated to I did'nt add any weight after you take off the cabin. What added the weight was the iron chevy. I took the weight of the 4 cylinder Chrysler from the weight of the chevy, moved that weight forward three feet. Added the weight of the V drive and V drive shaft @ an average distance forward of 6.5 feet from the transom. I arrived at a CG that was 6 inches aft. When I put the thing on the trailer, I had to move the axle back 6 inches to get a 200 pound tounge weight. Whew! I am gonna go weigh the whole thing to make sure I have enough spring and tire on the trailer, wished I weighed the trailer before I put it on. then I could accurately calculate boat weight. I am gonna guess the trailer is about 600 pounds. Suggestions are welcome.

richie rich

Reaction score
you can always weigh it after a launch...you'll know the how balanced the trailer is as you ride down the road and she fishtails or not......sounds like you did some good math checking.....I'm anxoius to see how she runs....please keep us posted. Now about that burn pile........ :lol:

johnbell47

Reaction score
I have a picture of the cabin laying out in the daiseys before it was burned, but dang if I can post it here, pm me at johnbell47@hotmail.com and I will get it to you. By the way polyester glass burns like the blazes!! Suprised me. In my photobucket is a pretty good representation of what I did. by the way, I did all of this by myself, including rolling the hull over. I used epoxy resin all the way, because that is what I build my canoes out of. It is clear so you can feature the wood. it is also stronger, smells better, etc. but expensive. I used 3 gallons in all. lots of gluing, and all wood is fully encapsulated in epoxy. [/url]

johnbell47

Reaction score
If you go back to my photobucket, I put the picture of the removed cabin in there. I saved a few of the old pieces, need anything? I saved one of the GW emblems and will mount it somewhere on the new boat. Waiting on the insurance and getting the numbers on and we will give her a try. Check out some of the cedar strip canoe sites and you can see how this stipping thing is done. I built one canoe so far, it is a 16 footer. it weighed 63 pounds total, cedar is light. the epoxy is what makes it strong. I won best of show at our local art fair with that one. (t ake that you prissy little picher painters!) :D

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Wow!

JohnBell! You talent and creativity are absolutely awesome. Your boatwright skills are priceless! The true value is that you have a beautiful classic one of a kind and unique baby doll there! 8)

richie rich

Reaction score
John, I'm surprised you only used 3 gallons for that job...seems light but your glass work is limited so it makes a little sense....tells you about the strengths of wood in a boat building scenario.....just seal it correctly and the strength shines through......but you know everyone has their own skillsets.....your's are top notch...I'm surprised at the PET/Glass combustibility...we're all boating on a match stick... :shock: ......I'll check out your photobucket...thanks

johnbell47

Reaction score
Keep in mind that when I say three gallons that there is the hardener that is added, which makes this about 4 1/2 gallons in all. I mainly just used the epoxy as glue. Soaking the 6 ounce glass cloth takes very little really. I bedded the stringers with microballoned epoxy aslo. The stringers are full length 2 x 10's treated and carry the engine, the v drive, etc. I had to rip them to the proper height after they were in. Keep in mind there is grady white fiberglass under the wood on the sides. the transom I had to remove to make the barrell back shape of the chris. Also the old transom was two layers of 3/4 ply to carry the outboard, the new one is only one layer of 3/4 ply, as it has no motor load. a sheet of treated 3 /4 ply is heavy!! I used 1/2 on the floor due to that fact. I built the seat boxes out of 3/4, then re built them out of 1/2 due to weight. I'm getting a little old to handle some of this. (I do love the SS checks though!) :)

johnbell47

Reaction score
Weighed the boat yesterday. it came in at 3440 pounds, with the trailer. if the trailer weight is 600 the boat weigh is 2880. Iron block chevys are heavy little boogers. :)

johnbell47

Reaction score
Don't have the numbers, name and state stickers on yet, i took it by the graphics shop yesterday and they did the measuring for all that. I did get permission from the game warden to go ahead and try it without the numbers since it is technically leagally registered, but weather and other circumstances prevent. One of my dogs got run over yesterday and I'm kinda down in the dumps over that. Maybe next weekend!!

johnbell47

Reaction score
thanks, I've lost lots of Dogs in my life, and I never had a better friend.

johnbell47

Reaction score
:D :D :D :D Took the boat out today...Jumped in the water with my cell phone still strapped on. Shoot! Cracked the glass windshield with my knee, pulling the boat up to the dock. Shoot! (the glass guy told me to use plex) Boat cranked good, water pump worked good, stayed docked till we got to 150 degrees, all was good. The boat eased away carefully, just outside the wake bouys, I buried the throttle and she planed like a thouroughbred. Good, snarly, V-8 Chevy sound, wow! Ran out to about 45, but the r.p.m. was also 4,500. Too much. I need more prop. This one may be about right when I switch the V drive out. The casale has a 1 1:18 over, the old Hallcraft is 1 1:10. I am so happy I am about to bust a gut. Wife took video from the dock, it was bouncing, the boat was bouncing, She was nervous. the video is not good. But, all in all everything else was!!