Snap in Console cover for 208 Adventure

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I made a helm (cockpit cover) last year for MyOtherBoat) Materials were about $200 and add to that some decent snap tooling ( vice grip type, about 50 bucks or so.
I have an industrial sewing machine and that helps a lot. There is a good how to video on the Sailrite web site. The key to a good job is to use the patterning material and double sided tape recommended and make a well fitted pattern.
I used a less expensive material than Sunbrella since this was my first helm cover project. It is a fairly light material and you could probably sew it with a decent home machine. A lot depends on the thickness of the edge banding.
If you go this route take my advice to install and carefully remove your canvas enclosure so that all the movable snaps are in the correct position before marking and installing the snaps in the new cover. Don't ask me how I learned that:(
Good advice! Thanks

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
This is what I think of as a helm cover, which is on my tournament 22, from the top of the windshield, to the back of the seats. I think of a cockpit cover as the same thing, extended to the transom, or from the hardtop to the transom.
There are no cut-outs around frame on this style, unless one if you have the tube from the lower helm to an electronics box above.
Perhaps that is where some of the price differentiation is coming from.
View attachment 20027
This is exactly what I want. I do not have any tube cutouts.

seasick

Reaction score
One thing about cutouts. A hard top is not an issue but if you have a Bimini, there probably are fittings for both the four forward and aft mounting straps. The helm cover will then need an indentation sewn around the tie down fittings forward. For the aft tie downs, I added a second set mounted on the side of the 'helm' are in addition to the original ones that are on the top edge. That way, the helm cover can be used with the Bimini up and you don't need to make cutouts in the cover and have to remove the rear straps to install the cover.
Note that since this boat is used several times a week or not for a few weeks, when it will be used, I leave the Bimini up. Boat is at a part time home.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Concerning the bimini straps... another thing that can be done is to replace the rear straps with poles. That way, even with the bimini in the folded up position, it can still stay upright (kinda like a radar arch). Just a thought to throw out there for others reading through this thread.

For example... Now this one has a very large bimini top so there is a rear/diagonal pole for extra support, but you get the idea. If the bimini mounts are good, robust mounts, it can even be trailered like that.

bimini.jpg