sonar upgrade

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The boss has given permission to upgrade sonar on the boat. Currently using a Garmin echomap 70/90 with transom mount transducer. Currently have Raymarine ev150 auto pilot with Axiom 7" mfd. Would like to stick with Raymarine to keep everything networked. I can squeeze in a 9" mfd and possibly a 12. I could replace the transom mount with a new one, already have a hole for the cable. Also have a non functional thru hull transducer in the bilge on the center line, could this hole be used for new transducer. I would really like to improve may ability to see and find structure and fish, which the current sonar is pretty weak at. Do not think I will fish more than 400-500 feet ever. Have to admit I am fairly ignorant related to sonar and do not want to over buy and have features I will never use. Input/advice appreciated.
thanks

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just upgraded to dual Garmin 1243XSV. No separate sounder box required. How do you know you’re through hull transducer is not workable? I am not familiar with the Garmin 70/90. If that box gets the sonar from a GSD22 or Better, you could keep that and add the 1243. I think the Garmin 8612s can drive two transducers. I also have Raymarine auto pilot and there are no network problems. Most auto pilots are compatible with a variety of MFD’s. My old B164 transducer worked fine but was not chirp . Adding a GT 56 for Sideview and chirp. The newer Garmin MFD’s actually have diagnostics that can check transducers.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I just replaced my old Raymarine unit with an Axiom Pro RVX 9 inch with a Raymarine RV100 transom mount transducer and it works great. Sonar, sidescan, downscale and 3d imaging. You have lots of choices, do your homework and choose the one you like the best.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My problem is I am not sure what to like!!

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
pro units due to buttons and touch make the display to wide, have to stick to touch screen only

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a Garmin 1242xsv that is networked to a raymarine ev150. It works very well and I have now problems running on auto to a waypoint.